• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

why get a smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same as Paulaski
Started as fun, evolved to 1 gun for all hunting.
Live in New England. Swamps, brush, etc. a very long shot here wouldbe 50 yds. Most are 25 or so.
Only exceptions being turf, corn, & potatoe fields.

ltdc said:
I've got several flintlock and percussion rifles.
and a double barreled percussion shotgun.

for some reason I'm just aching to get a smoothbore or fowler. and I'm not sure why.(not that a reason is required)but......

what are you guy's reasons for going with smoothbores and what do you think of them.
any suggestions on who to get one from?

I hunt and target shoot as well as rondezvous competitions with my other guns.

I'm getting ready to commit to a builder to have a 20 gauge NE Fowler made.

Why, becasue I can :grin:

They just seem to be the "Real Deal" to me, especially if you are into the F&I War timeframe and New England!

I noticed that no one addressed your question as to who to have make your smoothie:

I have asked around (both here on the forum and elsewhere) and the top two names that keep popping up are our own Mike Brooks here on the forum and also Mark Wheland. Mark seems to be a little more expensive but you get a different build from him.

I would recommend checking them both out, as well as others, and decide who "feels" right for you.

Can't wait to get the tax return and lay some money down for a build on my fowler :thumbsup:

Doc

I normally shoot my .54 rifle and my .45 Kentucky pistol at our club shoots. Couple months ago I stuck around for the shotgun/smoothbore shoot at clay targets. Was able to shoot one members gun, nailed both clay targets. Now I gotta get me one of those! I'd opt for a fowler rather than a shotgun, cause I can run either shot or slugs through it...
Scott

Well once you figure it out, you can shoot out to 50 yards and even 100 yards and still keep it on target. Plus the versatility of being able to shoot bullets, buck and or shot. You can even use shot cups to tighten up the shot groups too. I seldom need to shoot beyond 25 yards or so thus a smoothbore works fine for me. Smoothbores were the most common gun in the old days that farmers and common people used. The versatility made them so much more useful.

Well once you figure it out, you can shoot out to 50 yards and even 100 yards and still keep it on target. Plus the versatility of being able to shoot bullets, buck and or shot. You can even use shot cups to tighten up the shot groups too. I seldom need to shoot beyond 25 yards or so thus a smoothbore works fine for me. Smoothbores were the most common gun in the old days that farmers and common people used. The versatility made them so much more useful.
Exactly.... Well said .

Building and shooting my .54 smoothbore was a bit of an epiphany, after 40 years of rifle shooting. The ease of loading, cleaning, and the versatility being able to take small and big game with the same gun is really enjoyable.

27a.jpg

The elephant gun I'm building is a 4 balls to the pound smoothbore. Smoothbores are the path to versatility, less clutter, and peace of mind. Rifles are the path to endless boxes, all full of things one does not need. I like simple. Simple is having 32 bore sizes and some wee smaller ones to choose from. All smooth, so you need not worry about twist rates, sectional densities, or any other similar nonsense. Simple, is the lead sphere in all its magical glory. And as mentioned earlier, the challenge of getting close, and then 10 yards closer. It's easy to be a good shot. Not so easy to be a good hunter.

I've got several flintlock and percussion rifles.
and a double barreled percussion shotgun.

for some reason I'm just aching to get a smoothbore or fowler. and I'm not sure why.(not that a reason is required)but......

what are you guy's reasons for going with smoothbores and what do you think of them.
any suggestions on who to get one from?

I hunt and target shoot as well as rondezvous competitions with my other guns.
Because they are fun.

Back