• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are or aren't you an NMLRA member?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let me NMRLA membership expire a year ago . . . mostly because I am cheap . . . and have other interests and limited funds.

However, the magazine has gotten a lot better as a full color magazine and there is this too . . .

The NMLRA staff are very nice and helpful. It's a good organization. I am going to join again. Here's what pushed me back.

I mentioned other interests. I took up waterfowl hunting 5 years ago. . . so I joined Ducks Unlimited and let NMLRA go . . .

On April 29th I dropped $50 for a DU banquet near me in early May . . . which included a meal and membership. I was very disappointed. Naive newbie me, I thought a banquet might talk about hunting tips, conservation, cooking ducks or something helpful to a hunter, with a promo of DU, of course. It was nothing but an auction, drinking, mediocre food and a constant push for money. I left after 45 minutes. . . learning nothing.

To top it off . . . two weeks ago, I emailed DU and asked why I had not heard from them, no receipt for my donation, no membership info, no nothing. Yesterday, June 29th two months after my Credit Card was charged, I get an email saying my membership has been processed in response to my emailing them.

I have still yet to receive anything in the mail from DU recognizing my donation. They are very big and seemingly bureaucratic. . . Not so of NMLRA.

BTW - I dropped my membership in the NRA because several times a week I would get a call from an obvious phone center of someone reading a card of how bad things are in DC and asking me for money. . . I still get them, some two years later. I agree with them, but it was annoying. . . and I'm not big donor material at my stage in life.

I know non-profits need donors, (I actually run one in Indiana as my primary job - we don't call people for money), but the personal touch, and respect of the donor seems lost on these big groups . . . That' s not my experience with the NMLRA. They are a good group, that I should have stuck with.

But this is just my own experience. . .

Snakebite said:
Several months ago I read the hunting article in Muzzle Blasts and one of the first things the author said was he had no interest in traditional guns as he only wanted to be able to hunt more. I went back and read the mission statement and it seemed this went against what the mission statement said.

Frankly, I think Raychard's hunting column with only inlines is a great part of the aggravation with NMLRA over inlines. Having that little section of the line that shoots inlines at the spring and fall shoots really doesn't seem to bother anyone at all. And I believe I did see one or two of those inline guys shooting a traditional piece too, this spring.

I think Raychard is just so good at coming up with relevant hunting information month after month that he would be hard to replace. But the Board ought to insist that he use some pictures from members using traditional muzzleloaders on successful hunts in his column.

@ Gene L: "NO ONE ever mentions NMLRA in political discussions as antis or like. Like Bernie Sanders who declared NRA as a prime enemy."

And yet, NMLRA President Becky Waterman did speak before the UN opposing the international arms trade treaty, representing NMLRA as a recognized NGO. (Non-Governmental Organization). The battle for our rights is fought on many levels and NMLRA is one more force on our side. One with a different appeal and approach than NRA.

I never read the article in MB about the guy hunting with an inline. I never read any magazine cover to cover.

My son and I did shoot inlines at the June Nationals. I took 9 guns to the national and only 2 of them were inlines. I really dont care if I ever shoot an inline at NMLRA match again, as I have more fun shooting the other guns.

The first weekend at Friendship, the guys shooting inlines I know a good share of them, and most of them are traditional shooters as well. Some of the guys are affiliated with Knight Rifles. They have come, and fallen in love with Friendship over the past few years. They are part of our evening social groups and they are good folks. They also are getting introduced to traditional rifles and shotguns.

With the inline crowd we can shun them like lepers, or befriend them and introduce them to traditional ML.

Fleener
NMLRA Life Member

I'm just asking this question, but is there a modern In-line hunters magazine, or a club for the unmentionables?
If they put on a shoot and a few guys showed up with traditional muzzle loaders would they be looked at as odd balls, and be the target of some jokes?
How about if a guy showed up with his 45-70 sharps replica, and brought along a buddy with his model 70 in 7 mag.?
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to compete, but would stick out like a sore thumb.
What about the traditional archery guys, and then you have to let in the compound bow guys, and oh yes, the crossbow guys.
It would be a big party to have to put on and keep everyone happy.
I guess my point is, you have to draw the in-line somewhere, kind of like this website does.

Jimbo

you make a fair point.

Last year there was a 500 yard match that was targeted for inlines here in Iowa. I was tempted to show up with my Rigby and see what I could do against the modern rifles. The match was not closed to traditional rifles.

Fleener

any kind of NRA or hunting related sticker on the back window of your vehicle is Like a neon sign to all the thieves who see it,

Don't know how true it is a signal to a thief " in any neck of the woods" as Bear suggested, as our local population of ne'er=dpo-wells being casual participants in the leftist school system are pittifully unobservant.

Where I am it may be a neon sign to some, but it only signals to a lot of leftists that I don't agree with them, and in their world, if folks don't agree (or keep their yaps shut about disagreement), the lefties think it's perfectly fine to violate your rights. Your right of free speech, your right to assemble, your property rights. They actually are surprized when they get arrested. :haha:

As for following me home, well after 28 years of putting bad guys, some pretty serious, into prison, I am super cautious about who follows me home. Normally nobody is behind me when I get near my house, or I take a circular route until my "tail" is clear. My wife thinks I'm paranoid, OK but "What's your point, dear?" :wink:

Except on rare weekends, my personal car is stored at my police station in the secure lot. My police car I take home, and my neighborhood is pretty much "copland" so good luck figuring out which unmarked Charger or which marked cruiser is me.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
Where I am it may be a neon sign to some, but it only signals to a lot of leftists that I don't agree with them, and in their world, if folks don't agree (or keep their yaps shut about disagreement), the lefties think it's perfectly fine to violate your rights. Your right of free speech, your right to assemble, your property rights.
100% :bull:

Spence

I've been a NMLRA member for 23 years, mainly because it is the only national organization that actively supports muzzleloading guns.

I enjoy reading Muzzle Blasts although usually I only briefly skim thru Raychard's hunting articles because of his devotion to unmentionable guns.
Personally, I don't have anything against the unmentionables but I also don't have any interest in owning or shooting one of them so, I have no interest in most of his stories.

As for discussions about them in this topic, I don't want anything for or against them discussed in the posts but, the NMLRA accepting them as muzzleloaders has driven a lot of people to drop their NMLRA membership so mentioning this in this topic is relevant.

Wasn't there a discussion about 1800's inline muzzle loaders? I agree with someone who suggested that the modern inline should have its own ?subforum? here. The rational is simply the majority of guns (specially flintlocks) discussed on this forum only superficially resemble the ones they are copied after! Darn it - If they don't have forge welded barrels made out of iron they ain't for real. Weren't no fancy steel barrels back in those days. Weren't no fancy BP substitues neither. So, if they are front loaders, they belong.

Bo T said:
Wasn't there a discussion about 1800's inline muzzle loaders? I agree with someone who suggested that the modern inline should have its own ?subforum? here. The rational is simply the majority of guns (specially flintlocks) discussed on this forum only superficially resemble the ones they are copied after! Darn it - If they don't have forge welded barrels made out of iron they ain't for real. Weren't no fancy steel barrels back in those days. Weren't no fancy BP substitues neither. So, if they are front loaders, they belong.

I think you are missing the point.
Traditional muzzle loader reproductions are as close to the original as one can expect to get when it comes to HC.
The Modern unmentionalbles have no soul, and have very little in common with the 1800's but only by name, with anything that could be remotely called HC, when their whole modern existence was to take advantage by the manufacturers of the muzzle loader only seasons that were added in many states.
Pretty much apples and oranges if you really think about it.

Jimbo47 said:
Bo T said:

Traditional muzzle loader reproductions are as close to the original as one can expect to get when it comes to HC.
The Modern unmentionalbles have no soul, and have very little in common with the 1800's but only by name, with anything that could be remotely called HC, when their whole modern existence was to take advantage by the manufacturers of the muzzle loader only seasons that were added in many states.
Unfortunately, many of the guns offered by the larger commercial manufacturers touted as traditional are as similar to the HC versions as Vegan ice-cream resembles the real stuff containing sugar, cream, eggs, vanilla and a little salt - the resemblance is superficial at best. Yes, they load from the muzzle, but that is about it...

Bo T said:

I have no problem discussing pre-1865 design muzzleloaders of any type.

It's the ones invented after 1980 that don't shoot black powder or round balls that I have a problem with.( and that is the majority of modern inlines)...You know, the ones that violate the forum rules.

Also, Any gun can be loaded from the muzzle....So it takes more than that to classify it as a "muzzleloader"

There are plenty of forums out there that discuss modern inlines.....To my knowledge this forum is the only muzzleloading forum that does not,and that makes this forum unique and better.

1865 was the turning point for muzzleloaders....It signifies when the major powers of world decided to stop outfitting their armies with muzzleloaders and adopt breech loading cartridge guns. In essence it draws the line between muzzleloaders and cartridge guns.

Black Hand said:
Jimbo47 said:
Bo T said:

Unfortunately, many of the guns offered by the larger commercial manufacturers touted as traditional are as similar to the HC versions as Vegan ice-cream resembles the real stuff containing sugar, cream, eggs, vanilla and a little salt - the resemblance is superficial at best. Yes, they load from the muzzle, but that is about it...

According to your reply, then this forum and even shooting these Vegan versions seems pointless, and maybe we all should be taking up another hobby than wasting our time shooting these superficial at best rifles?
Sorry, and maybe I'm the one who is wrong here, but until the day this forum recognizes those unmentionables, I'll still hang around here.

Back