• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who works on Revolovers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been thinking about having one of my pistols worked on next time I get some cash for such a thing.

Mainly I would be looking for someone to tune my Pietta, de-bur it and polish the lock internals and Chamfer the cylinders.

Who would I ask (prefer a respected and skilled forum member)and how much will such a project tend to run? (gotta know how many months it is going to take me to save up for this goal) :hmm:

I did it all myself it's very easy to do lots of online help if needed should run about 20 bucks in sandpaper and needle files and the best thing about doing it yourself is you get a better understanding of how everything works it only took me about 3 days to get my 1860 running right and that's working on it for 30 to 45 minutes a day after work.

Richard.....I just saw your post about a blackpowder pistol repair shop.

Here is the Best: http://www.handgunrepairshop.com/index.html

it is the handgun repair shop operated by
Doug Bates....read the website, he can make ANY part ya need....trouble is that he may be backed up for awhile...or perhaps not...
its worth a phone call....

I hope he can help ou out! I had to look thru my favorites list for 1/2 hour to find him...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cynthia.

I had Tom Ball (now deceased) back when work on two 1860 Armies, and one 1851 Navy. And assuming it's a Colt, I had him do three things:
1. A 3-lb. trigger pull.
2. An 11-degree cut on the forcing cone.
3. A taller, dove-tailed front sight installed.

In all three cases, I could not believe the difference. The pistols now shoot offhand right where you point them. Don't have to think about aiming low anymore. (In the case of a Remington, item-3 above would probably not be necessary).
I'm sure the Gunsmiths mentioned above can accomplish this work.
By the way, two of the Colts above I had originally had done with 2.5-lb. trigger pulls. While good for strictly target work, I felt it was too light (and made me a little nervious) to carry in a holster. So I had Tom change them to 3-lbs.
The tough part can be locating a taller front sight. I don't know of any ready-made front sights (that look right) available. Two of mine came from Kenny Howell (of conversion fame). They looked right, and the height already set for 25-yards. But it took a year to get them. Seems he is always too busy, like many custom gunsmithes. And the one pictured here was made by Jim Stroh (of .45 Auto fame).
Anyway, it still amazes me what just those three things did for these pistols. Hope some of this gab is of help. LOL
Rick.

Mike (Goonsgun) did my 1851 Navy last year. What I got back was the best shooting pistol of the five or six Cap and ball models that I have. Smooth as glass action. Trigger pull is about perfect for me.

Talk to him first as he gets busy and you can be without your pistol for a long time. Mine was gone almost a year.

Back