• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

who sells noggins? looking for one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make one. Not that hard to do.
cd3f3fd5f2787b6bfa4c33bb5f92a3cb.jpg

Pete

Greg Geiger said:
Maybe I should have clarified. If your noggin is going to sit between trips, after you wash it with water and no soap ( maybe baking soda instead), run the oil and wipe it off before putting it away AND after taking it out. Also, hang it up...don't store it.

Not cleaning it along with the rest of your gear is asking for some 21st century microbe to make a home of it and maybe ruin your Monday back to work/retirement. Sunlight helps keep it fresh, but be careful not to let it dry out until it cracks.

If you don't clean it, whatever you put in it last will affect whatever you put into it next.

I grew to despise copper and tin with morning coffee because of burned lips. I used my noggin for everything from stew to coffee to some of Lake George and always kept it clean. Not a big fan of potential beaver fever...

I rinse and leave stored in my haversack. No problem ever. Wood is naturally anti-microbial. Unless really filthy all is well. However, it is regularly disinfected with uses of adult beverages. :wink:

Actually, you're my kind of deviate.

Keep one noggin aside for coffee. Before you stow it between trips, rub some anisette or peppermint schnappes into it and let it dry without being sticky.

Wait'll you get that first cup of Joe out there in the fresh air.

I do this with my pipes ( which I smoke maybe once every three months on long rides) and it really adds to the taste. You can't do that with a tin or copper, so I always drank coffee from my noggin.

I just posted a 1999 trek thingy about a spring trip in which one of us..Freddie...showed us the value of putting peppermint schnappes in cream and carrying it in a flask because the adult bev kept the cream from souring for a couple of days. Now I do it every time...

I'll eventually make one myself, but, for $17 including shipping from Latvia, I HAD to get this neat Swedish birch burl cup. It has a few light surface cracks in the bowl, but I think it will do fine. I need to strip off the heavy modern varnish on the outside (other than a splotch, there is no finish on the inside).

Etsy is your friend. :wink:

noggin%20002_800x597_zpsikoyw3mi.jpg

noggin%20001_800x597_zpsmltrtill.jpg

Vomir le Chien said:
Get a chunk of wood and go at it,,,worst that can happen is you end up with some real unique fire wood... But it can't be that difficult !!!!

No. The worst thing is that you can end up with a chisel through your hand. :grin:

Back