• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who made this Navy Arms Piece?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this forlorn carcass in my Dad's junk drawer. I'm looking for a source for the missing pieces.

Attachments

• 16978544030906788948594933350190.jpg
    16978544030906788948594933350190.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 16978544683825460315130324327885.jpg
    16978544683825460315130324327885.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
That 'forlorn carcass' is a Gregorelli & Uberti version of an 1858 Remington New Model Army. They have been out of production since the early 1960's and have become quite collectible lately. Worth restoring, in my opinion. Most modern Uberti parts can probably be massaged to fit it. Nice score!

That 'forlorn carcass' is a Gregorelli & Uberti version of an 1858 Remington New Model Army. They have been out of production since the early 1960's and have become quite collectible lately. Worth restoring, in my opinion. Most modern Uberti parts can probably be massaged to fit it. Nice score!
It does have G. U. Engraved on the barrel in fancy script! Thanks for the information.

If you’re not skilled in restoration I’d consider sending it to a gunsmith for that work. Replacing the internal parts is not really difficult but you want the timing done right and after all of that you should want it refinished as good as factory new. In my opinion… Uberti has made some really fine replicas over the years and many of the earlier versions were finely made and finished and deserve no less on the second effort. John Zimmerman has been excellent at this but he may no longer be taking this kind of work.

If you’re not skilled in restoration I’d consider sending it to a gunsmith for that work. Replacing the internal parts is not really difficult but you want the timing done right and after all of that you should want it refinished as good as factory new. In my opinion… Uberti has made some really fine replicas over the years and many of the earlier versions were finely made and finished and deserve no less on the second effort. John Zimmerman has been excellent at this but he may no longer be taking this kind of work.

Thanks for your input. Do you really think this piece would be worth investing that much into it? I am having trouble just spending the money for the hardware that is missing, let alone having it professionally restored. Does it have collector value in the condition that it's in now? I understand that it's an early Uberti piece. All of the pieces, including the grips, are marked with the number 43 and Long Johns Wolf says it's the first year of production, but all I really want is a nice shooter.

Thanks for your input. Do you really think this piece would be worth investing that much into it? I am having trouble just spending the money for the hardware that is missing, let alone having it professionally restored. Does it have collector value in the condition that it's in now? I understand that it's an early Uberti piece. All of the pieces, including the grips, are marked with the number 43 and Long Johns Wolf says it's the first year of production, but all I really want is a nice shooter.
You’re right. Have it professionally restored and end up with a nice piece to shoot. But dont do it with the expectation of making money. All the profit in that deal will be in the restorers pocket.

I never look at the Italian repros as an investment. That said, I do believe down the road when original Colt pistols the 2 & 3 gen get crazy expensive (we getting close) that a mint condition unfired Uberti will bring in more cash than the original price.
Right now I have an unfired 1971 1858 Remington.36 6.5” barrel, mint condition.
Not for sale but have had many private offers to buy. I got it at a good deal and have no doubt i could get more than i paid.

You should be able to get it done for 4-500, and yes early Uberti and some ASM pistols do attract collectors interest. You’ll also have a nicer shooter than anything currently offered.

One of the really nice features of the G&U guns is that the dimensions are way closer to original specs than say, Pietta.
If it were me, I would send it off to a pro to have it redone, but it's not me. If money is of concern and you want a nice shooter, I'd oil and pack it away for the moment and buy a new Uberti or Pietta NMA and shoot that...for probably half the price. You'll still have the G&U if and when you decide to restore it.

I never look at the Italian repros as an investment. That said, I do believe down the road when original Colt pistols the 2 & 3 gen get crazy expensive (we getting close) that a mint condition unfired Uberti will bring in more cash than the original price.
Right now I have an unfired 1971 1858 Remington.36 6.5” barrel, mint condition.
Not for sale but have had many private offers to buy. I got it at a good deal and have no doubt i could get more than i paid.
This piece is nothing but a rusty hull of a liability. It's saving grace is that I can remember when my dad bought it about 50 years ago. I remember the lecture about chain fires and him smearing grease over the cylinder. I also remember seeing the gun in pieces shortly afterwards. If I can't find the loading lever and hammer it will most likely sit in a box for a while.

One of the really nice features of the G&U guns is that the dimensions are way closer to original specs than say, Pietta.
If it were me, I would send it off to a pro to have it redone, but it's not me. If money is of concern and you want a nice shooter, I'd oil and pack it away for the moment and buy a new Uberti or Pietta NMA and shoot that...for probably half the price. You'll still have the G&U if and when you decide to restore it.
The most likely scenario. Thanks again for the input. I will group it with the Manhattan and his swivel barrel rifle.

You should be able to get it done for 4-500, and yes early Uberti and some ASM pistols do attract collectors interest. You’ll also have a nicer shooter than anything currently offered.
I looked for a while and couldn't find one that sold for over $300. That includes a couple that were NIB. That leads me to believe that spending $4-500 to get this one restored doesn't make much sense. I am willing however, to consider trades for a shooter.

Howdy, I just recently joined and came across your post. Restoring these guns is a tricky endeavor at best. I found a 1960 Navy Arms GU Remington with Bogata NJ stamp barrel and a serial number in pristine condition at a pawn shop. The first ones in 1960 were stamped with Bogata NJ. on the barrels. Then Val Forgett moved his warehouse to Richfield NJ and the barrels reflected that change with Richfield NJ. I got lucky and got this gun cheap but now I know what it is I think one of my children will wind up with it.

Howdy, I just recently joined and came across your post. Restoring these guns is a tricky endeavor at best. I found a 1960 Navy Arms GU Remington with Bogata NJ stamp barrel and a serial number in pristine condition at a pawn shop. The first ones in 1960 were stamped with Bogata NJ. on the barrels. Then Val Forgett moved his warehouse to Richfield NJ and the barrels reflected that change with Richfield NJ. I got lucky and got this gun cheap but now I know what it is I think one of my children will wind up with it.
Welcome to the forum. It was beyond my skill and didn't make much sense moneywise to restore it, so I sold it.

Back