• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who is your favorite black powder maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am quilty of loving Swiss, then it is Schuetzen followed by Goex.Nothing wrong at all with Goex, just love the characteristics of the other 2.

I've been usin' the Graf&Son private label. It is made by Wano, and the fouling seems to be softer'n Goex. But mostly I buy it cause it's a buck a can cheaper. That may not last though I've seen pictures of a big mushroom cloud above the plant. :(

Graf & Sons is about 67 miles NE of me. It will be worth the drive up for powder supplies and such.

Rebel
Try[url] powderinc.com[/url]
They will ship in quanties as low as 5lbs, but you still have to pay the Hazmat fee regardless of order size. I generally order a minum of 10 lbs.
The last I bought came to about $10.74 a lb delivered to my door.

Regards, Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackfoot,
I'm :confused: here,does someone other
than GOEX make blackpowder.To your questions:
#1 GOEX
#2 Yes-GOEX
#3 Yes-GOEX
#4 No-because GOEX is the best I've found
snake-eyes :hmm:

snake-eyes said:
Blackfoot,
I'm :confused: here,does someone other
than GOEX make blackpowder.To your questions:
#1 GOEX
#2 Yes-GOEX
#3 Yes-GOEX
#4 No-because GOEX is the best I've found
snake-eyes :hmm:
:grin:

I used GOEX for years but switched to KIK last year. The KIK 2F shoots the same as GOEX 3F and has a little less fouling. The KIK 3F is a little hotter than GOEX 3F. It doesn't hurt that it is a little cheaper than GOEX.

The preceeding paragraph is not meant to imply that I dislike GOEX. I just like KIK a little better. If KIK was not around, I would happily go back to GOEX.

I tried substitutes back in the 80s but never liked them very much. They crudded up just as much as BP but were prone to misfires. They also were more expensive than GOEX.

I ordered a case of Goex from Powder, Inc. on a Sunday night. It was delivered Friday morning. Total delivered price came to $10.78 per can. Locally, Goex is $16.95 plus tax for a total of $18.35.

Blackfoot said:
Who makes your favorite black powder for your rifle.
Goex

Does one brand shoot better for you than others?
You could never tell by my scores :shake:

Is one more consistant in its sizes than onother?
I can't really tell just by looking

Is your favorite powder your favorite because of price?
No. If I want cheap shooting, I'll get that Chinese powder, if I can find it when I'm all out of Goex. I'd prefer to have Goex, because it seems to burn more cleanly.
Cruzatte

Thanks for all your info on powder!
My next (first order) will be Goex but could / need a couple of guys to go in on a case of it.

Anyone from southern Minnesota or northern Iowa that would like to go in on a case or half case ? let me know.

I prefer Swiss, but mostly shoot Goex because I can't get Swiss here and Goex is quite a bit cheaper. I will probably just end up making a bulk order one of these times.

I haven't tried Goex Express yet, but Swiss is more consistant than Goex regular. It's a little faster also. Overall, Swiss shoots a little better group, but more importantly, I get less flyers with it. I haven't had the chance to try other powders such as KIK or Scheutzen yet, so I'm only going on my limited experiences so far.

I prefer the Schuetzen over Goex -- but only because the fouling is softer. Cleaning patches gather the fouling easier - meaning less resistance when pushing and pulling the ramrod up and down. Powder volumes per shot are virtually identical with both powders.

Stumpkiller...

Montrose Sporting Goods (Montrose, PA) carries Goex (Red can for sure, don't know about other brands).

I bought some late last year before the price went up (was $10+ per pound).

To all....
I used to use Pyro, then went to 777 with my Cap guns.
When I went to flint, I had trouble, so I went to Goex 3F. Not going back, either.

Legion

Mike2005 said:
I used GOEX for years but switched to KIK last year. The KIK 2F shoots the same as GOEX 3F and has a little less fouling. The KIK 3F is a little hotter than GOEX 3F. It doesn't hurt that it is a little cheaper than GOEX.

I have been using KIK for a little over a year now and agree with this accessment completely. I ordered a case from PowderInc last month and it was $239.50 total, including shipping and hazmat fee, or $9.58/lb.

I live just north of the border in Geneva MN. It's just 8 min. north of Albert Lea.

Where are you from here?

Back