• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who is your favorite black powder maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfoot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Who makes your favorite black powder for your rifle.

Does one brand shoot better for you than others?

Is one more consistant in its sizes than onother?

Is your favorite powder your favorite because of price?

Mine is Goex FFFg because it is the only kind that I can find locally but it produces very acceptable groups for me. I will certanly buy some other kinds to try like swiss and graff&son powder when I can swing a larger purchase so that I can order in bulk and get a better price.

I like all the blackpowders and substitute powders to some degree - except Pyrodex and Black Mag-3. I have used 777 mostly because of it's strength and very slow corrosive properties with fouled barrels. For instance, it's been two weeks since I cleaned two MLs I shot over 30 times at the range. I don't dare do that with real black - my 2nd favorite.

Chuck Edwards is probably my favorite maker. His guns are as historically correct as he can make 'em, drop and length of pull are made to fit the owner, and they shoot wonderfully.

Don Stith at the St. Louis Rifle Co, makes some good stuff too, not to mention that he is one of the most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to St. Louis rifles.

As to powder, I prefer GOEX and Graf and sons house brand. I think the Graf label powder is Wano, but I'm not sure about that. It's good powder though.

Since I shoot flint guns exclusively, I don't use any of the modern powders,since they don't work in flint guns.

I did try Pyrodex, in a cap gun, when it first came out and groups went from less than an inch at 50 yards to about 7 or 8 inches. My guns didn't like Pyrodex at all, not to mention the rusty bores after cleaning. Most folks I knew then who shot Pyrodex complained about rusty bores. The rust dissappeared when they switched back to black.

Can't really say.

For combination of Price & Effect, I really like Graf & KIK.

I'm not a fan of Goex Red Can and dispise Elephant.

Goex Express & Swiss are excellent, but pricy.

Anybody have experience with Lidu 2F or 3F Bulk? I've had a number of Indiana/Friendship types tell me it's a smidge better than Goex, but only costs $6/lb.

GOEX and that's it! never had a problem with it,it's available,it's affordable, it works the best of all I've tried..and it works during huntin season, thats the key! priorities,ya know.... :thumbsup: RC

I prefer Goex but have been using some powder i can get locally called Dragon. It is a Chinese made powder. Seems to work fine.

Rebel said:
I prefer Goex but have been using some powder i can get locally called Dragon. It is a Chinese made powder. Seems to work fine.
That's the bulk stuff I can get. You use 3F or 2f? Ever try screening it?

I get it in 2f. I have never screened any powder, just shoot it. How much does it cost you a lb.? I have been paying $11.50 for it.

Rebel said:
I get it in 2f. I have never screened any powder, just shoot it. How much does it cost you a lb.? I have been paying $11.50 for it.
Crikey. For $11.50 I'd as soon buy Graf.

I can get it from Deer Creek Products in Waldron Indiana (bulk is not shipable) for $159/25lb ($6.36/lb) Tax makes it $6.74/lb. I think they deliver pre-sold powder to Friendship for $7/lb.

Deer Creek is almost 500mi away, but I have to be near there this weekend anyway, so the pickup/shipping is essentially a "freebie".

How does Grain Size/dustyness/fines compare to Goex?

I'm thinking about 3F, but I'm a little concerned about total % 4F/Fines. OTOH I have never shot 2F. With the exception of my Flinter, most of my guns are 3F guns/pistols, and I've been using 3F in the flinter too (both for convenience and because many folks here say it burns a bit cleaner)

Wish i could order it direct for those prices. Even $9 a lb would be good for a delivered price. Not sure about the 3f i have never shot any of it except Goex. I do know that in my smoothbore i can shoot all day using Goex 3f but with the Dragon 2f after about 8-10 shots the fouling on the breech face plugs the vent hole if you don't keep it cleaned off.

Rebel said:
Wish i could order it direct for those prices. Even $9 a lb would be good for a delivered price. Not sure about the 3f i have never shot any of it except Goex. I do know that in my smoothbore i can shoot all day using Goex 3f but with the Dragon 2f after about 8-10 shots the fouling on the breech face plugs the vent hole if you don't keep it cleaned off.
FOr a $4-$10 per pound savings, I'm willing to put up with a little more cleaning...

How "shiny" is it? - i.e. is it graphite coated?

I prefer Swiss. It's not available locally though, so I mostly shoot Goex and it's hard enough to find. I haven't tried Goex Express yet, but I've heard it's as good as Swiss. I guess I'll have to make a bulk mail order purchase one of these times.

RC said:
GOEX and that's it! never had a problem with it,it's available,it's affordable, it works the best of all I've tried..and it works during huntin season, thats the key! priorities,ya know.... :thumbsup: RC

:thumbsup:
Goex3FRubberSpoutStopper-1.jpg

I like Goex Too, but have to drive 70 miles to get it at Log Cabin Supply at Lodi,O. A gun shop 5 miles away has got in some(Lidu) from all places China,Imagine that. My wife's Uncle was shooting it in his gun today.I haven't tried it yet. It did ok in his gun. 10.00 LB He had 2ff. Dilly

I use Goex, mostly out of habit (and value for price). Used to be I could get DuPont (canned about 45 miles south of here), and that plant became Goex. Closed down now. :(

I can't find ANY blackpowder locally in the clothing stores that carry sporting goods as an afterthought. * sigh *.

Thank God it can still be shipped to a home address.

Back