• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which would you buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy Uberti 2nd Model Dragoon with a steel frame and a 7.5" barrel for $200. It is in almost new condition. Also a Traditions 1851 Colt Navy Revolver in .44cal with a 7.5" barrel and steel frame for $100. This gun is in new condition. My heart is in flinters but a friend is letting these go and I don't want to pass up a good deal. Which of the two would be the best deal? I guess I could buy them and push my purchase of a Chambers fowler kit further back. I hope I am not breaking any rules Claude. :v

Buy both and see which one you like best. Then sell or trade the other one off. The Dragoon is big and heavy, but very potent. The Navy is much smaller, but was never available in .44 caliber. It's sort of a fantasy gun, but still useful.

I'd go for the Dragoon. Uberti makes good guns and the Dragoon is a barrel of fun to shoot. Well, actually, I'd go for both! :grin:

Uberti made gun any day of the week over the others. If you could get an Uberti '51 Navy in Navy caliber, i.e. 36cal that's what I'd get over the larger bores, at least for a carry gun. If you plan on hunting with it then the big 44's are are really the only way to go.

Another vote for buy both, sell one later. The Dragoon would be my choice if I had to make one. I have a Urberti Walker that I really like. I shoot and hunt with flinters but, I usually carry a cap 'n ball into the field as a back-up gun when hunting. That Dragoon would work well for those strong side close in shots on whitetails from the tree stand.

Buy both! I had the 51 in 44 and it was fun to shoot and had a nice feel. The dragoon should hold more powder for making a bigger boom when needed.

John Taylor is right, but if funds were limited, drop me the contact info for the Dragoon, that'll be my first choice. :hatsoff:

A new Uberti 2nd model Dragoon sells for $315 at Taylors.
I'd say the Dragoon is the better deal...I like mine.

If you can swing it buy both!They seem to be good deals!If you can only buy one then buy the Uberti Dragoon for it is a high-quality pistol that should hold its value!

The Dragoons had almost as much power available as the Walker they replaced because the cylinder is almost as long.

They are big heavy pistols to shoot but not as heavy as the Walker.
Another thing about the Dragoons is they don't have many of the bad features of the original Walker (like the loading lever falling down when it's shot).

If you don't mind shooting a pistol that weighs 4 pounds (unloaded) go with the Dragoon.

zonie :)

I contacted my friend and informed him that BOTH revolvers will stay with me. My fowler kit will have to wait. He told me that he will throw in several boxes of balls, brand new powder flask, and a new holster. :grin:
Thanks to all who responded and gave me the small push that I needed :hatsoff:

Congrads RiverRat...you'll enjoy them both. That's probly what I woulda had to do too...LoL!

I have been shooting these revolvers for a few weeks now and they are both better than expected!
The Dragoon (Uberti) seems to have a more precise feel to it, maybe it is a result of the heavy weight. The 1851 (Pietta) is very well balanced and I don't want to put it down. They both shoot excellent! I can consistently hit a 9" paper plate at 20 yds without any adjustment to the sights. I have 451's, 454's, and 457 rbs and I won't be buying anymore of the 451's. I ordered a .457 rb mold (Lee), I already have a ROA, and hopefully I will be able to feed all three revolvers with that size. My Speer .458 rbs load ok in all three. I have been using 24grs of 3f Goex in the 1851, and 40grs in the Dragoon.
Thanks again to everyone who took the time to answer my origional post!

Glad to hear that you are pleased with your new "toys". I didn't respond to your query about which to buy, since mostly everyone else thought as I did... BUY BOTH!... which you did! Sometimes deals come in twos, threes, or other multiples... it's hard on the pocketbook for a while, or puts another project on the back burner for a bit... BUT it sure feels nice to get TWO great deals--doesn't it?

Regards, and shoot safely!
WV_Hillbilly

PS I only ever owned ONE .44cal revolver that shot the .451 size balls well. (it actually needed that size ball to get them loaded easily; the .454 balls just would not work!)

If I HAD to choose one or the other... I'd go with the Dragoon.
If you have the funds, buy both. net 150 each, I dont think you would get hurt.

my $.02

Brett

Just to put things in perspective, buying both for $300 is the same price as filling up my Chrysler Voyager gas tank in UK 2.5 times.....

tac

Back