• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Smoothie is Best?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swank

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Everyone-
With Christmas just around the corner I thought I would ask for opinions from all you smoothbore connoisseurs. I am wanting to get a smoothie in a kit form and assemble it. I had been wanting one of Caywoods Wilson

I am not sure there is a best. Me personally, I like the Tulle I just built, but the Fowlers are really nice to. I think it's a preference things. Just make sure it has a good quality lock and barrel. Chambers and Siler are the best. Mine is a L&R which I have had great luck with so far. I consider that to be a really good lock as well.

what do you want the gun for--hunting/shooting or reenacting or both? The Wilson's gun is English, the Tulle is French. Are you trying for a particular personna? Personally I see nothing wrong with getting a Caywood kit Wilson's gun. The fellow who had "problems" aired here had it because he wanted a lock they don't normally offer and we only got his side of the story. Caywood has a great reputation around here (Arklatex).I have seen and handled several Caywood Wilson Chief's guns. They are very nice.

I can only comment on my experience with TVM , and what I have herd here. Tvm treated me excellent. Good folks No great Folks . The quality of gun is awesome but if you are going for PC then I would talk with Crack stock and Tg as they can give you some pointer's on what to ask for to be PC.

Swank, I see that your are from Ohio so my advise is to go to the Log Cabin in Lodi. The reason is they have a good selection of smoothbores that you can check out yourself.
Sometimes holding the gun and seeing how it feels can make your decission easier. Also the folks at the Log Cabin are very knowledgeable and can help you better. :peace:

He-bear is right. If possable shoulder these guns and see which one fits you the best. A good fitting gun makes shooting it accuratly much easier and this is especialy true with a smoothbore since you do not have a rear sight.

My son has a TVM english fowler and it shoots very well He can sometimes outshoot me with me using my rifle. It shoots shot real well too. We have both won medals with it at friendship at the quailwalk.

I do think you are going to be disapointed in getting one for Xmas. Unless someone has it already on the shelf you probably wont get it in time it normaly takes several months to get one. My sons TVM fowler was a 7 mo. wait and it was in the white.

Hope this helps.

Berk

There are quite a few styles of smoothbores from military types to fowlers. I lean toward the colonial fowler style as what I like the best. There is a great gunsmith right over from you in McConnelsville that builds really great guns and is cheaper than most. His name is Larry Cordray and he is a 35 year master gunsmith and gun builder. he doesn't have a web site but if you are interested in talking with him, I'll pass along his phone number. He is a fine gentleman to talk with and can do about anything you want done.
Ohio Rusty

I like strawberry smoothies the best. :blah:

Mike with respect to all your years of experience, I must say you should try a Strawberry-BANANA Smoothie. The Banana adds a little zip to the mix!!! :crackup: :crackup: :kid:

what do you want the gun for--hunting/shooting or reenacting or both? I have seen and handled several Caywood Wilson Chief's guns. They are very nice.

Count me in. I own a Center Mark Tulle and a Caywood Wilson's Trade.

Caywood gave me a good deal and I ended up with a fine finearm. The Tulle is a fine gun but I'll take the Wilson's everytime! Great warranty, and a fine product.

Jester

Had a 20ga. smoothie built by Jackie Brown. Had a big wait for it but quality is good. Used it to take 3rd place in smoothbore match last week at rondy-voo! :front:

All smoothbores have their strong and weak points, everything fall under personal preferance though...

I myself like the looks of a Brown Bess, but I also like the double throated hammers of the French Guns...

Mike- I primarily want the gun for hunting and shooting. I had been leaning towards the wilson and will probably go that route as it seems to blend the English features with some French influence.

Berk- By Xmas I just meant what kit to ask ol' Mrs. Claus for, I have no expectations of getting it by then. :boohoo:

Thanks for all the responses- He Bear- would Log Cabin possibly have a finished Caywood product that I could handle? If not does anyone know where one could be seen in the s.w. Ohio area.

Thanks Swank

I'm not sure abouy this okwaho or Mr.Brooks could answer this , but did not some one produce a gun with both english and french influence (the stock)and called it a fowler? this would give the best of both worlds in one gun. bb75

Everyone-
With Christmas just around the corner I thought I would ask for opinions from all you smoothbore connoisseurs. I am wanting to get a smoothie in a kit form and assemble it. I had been wanting one of Caywoods Wilson

AKAPennypincher-
There was a prior thread regarding someone who had some kind of problems with a lock and customer service from Caywood. There were several other members who chimed in with negative comments about the company, with very few defending Caywood other than to say that we were only hearing the complainants side of the situation. I think after thoroughly reading that entire thread it appears to me that most of the complaints were personality conflicts and less about product quality. I didn't want to revisit that thread when I originally posted, but wondered if there were any other negative issues I might not have heard about. Prior to the above mentioned posting I had never heard a negative thing about his work, and was planning on going with one of his Wilson's. Having only seen his photos and those posted on TOW they appear to be outstanding. Hope that helps a little ::

Swank

i have a T.V.M smoothie fowler that i love. great company and service. i got the p++++ tiger maple stock that you have to see to believe!! excellent ignition with the large siler.
fowler_and_ml_knives.jpg

I also have a TVM Fowler and can recommend them to build one for you without reservation. Matt and Toni are some of the finest people you will ever meet in this business .....

I built my trade gun smoothie from a T.O.W. kit. They were very good to deal with, answered all my dumb questions.
Don't know if its the best, but I like it.

Back