• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

which pistol kit to get ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hello guys. I am looking for a pistol kit to put together. I dont have to many needs other then it has to be under 200 bucks, it has to be accurate enough for coons groundhogs longer range shooting exc, and it cant be to aweful hard to put together sense I have only built 1 kit before this. I was looking at the dixie revolver kits but they look like alot of metal work. I was also looking at the deer creek hawken pistol, traditions kentucky pistol,lyman 54 great plains pistol. Im not set in stone on any one pistol and would be glad to hear other suggested pistols. I just want something that would be fun to put together and use for hunting and target practice. I also want it to be a quailty pistol that will serve me for years to come. so ya im open to anything. revolvers , hawken pisols, full stocks, anything.thanks SS

I put together a Lyman Plains pistol in .54 cal., and am quite happy with it. It fits my hand fairly well and has a nice light trigger pull. My previous pistol was an old CVA Kentucky. I was lucky just to hit paper with that one. With the Lyman I'm usually putting the ball right where I want it.
Scott

The Lyman pistol, is about the best money can buy.
With very little work you can replicate an early to mid 1800's pistol, quite easily.
The rear sight need some modification, and the snail need some cleaning up.
But as far as a shooter, there is none better.
Old Ford

I would second the Lyman unless you can find a Traditions Trapper in your price range. The Lyman is a rugged gun and I love mine, but for more precise shooting, the Trapper works better for me. It has a very sweet trigger setup, finer sights and is extremely accurate.

I looked at Dixie. The Traditions Kentucky kit and Deer Creek Hawkens Pistol kit are in your price range, but only come in .50 caliber. The Lyman Great Plains Pistol kit is also in your price range and gives you a choice of .50 or .54 caliber. I feel the Lyman is a much better quality. I have two Lyman .54 GPRs, one flint and one cap. Check out the Lymans at DNR Sports: http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Lyman_Muzzleloaders_649.html :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lyman gets my recommendation as well...

My only concern is the need for a possible follow-up shot, or coup-de-grace on the animals that you mentioned. Those buggers can be pretty tough critters, so you really need to be well-practiced at shooting.

Some of the better revolver kits are mostly pre-assembled, timed, and practically ready to fire. They only need metal work if you intend to pretty it up... but it may need some de-burring to smooth things up.

It's just awfully hard to beat that Lyman .54 though...

Shoot wisely...
WV_Hillbilly

I'll pile on for the Lyman. I bought the Plains Pistol in 50, had a year or so and was so so with it as far as accuracy, thenthis fall I practiced with it and it came to me bigtime it is a dead on shooter. I love it. The quality is very good. I'm looking to add another pretty soon in 54

I have no experience with the Lyman Pistol, but I totally agree with the Trapper.
After the build, first shot at 25 yards was a dead center bullseye. Second shot I thought I missed the target somehow. Turns out...It dead centered again. The Shoot and See target was slightly out of round after the second shot. That let me know I had basicly put the second shot in the same hole. Needless to say, I have never adjusted the sights. Great looking gun as well.

I like the Lyman I have a 54 cal I replaced the front sight with a thin blade brass sight fits the rear sight and I can file if I need to for elevation. I can get good 30 yd groups off the bench.

Back