• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which minie?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
I shot a new-to-me Zoli Zouave yesterday for the first time. It shot PRB quite well, but the bore is a little tight with my patch and ball combination so it takes a bit of effort to load it. The musket came with some minies, so I tried a few. The went into to the bore with just a little pressure and were easy to push down the bore, but stayed where they were put. Not quite sure how hard I need to seat them. I only had a few with me, but 50 grains shot well with flyers, 60 grains was all over the place, using OE 1.5F. Suspect I need a lighter charge.

I think they are sized correctly for the bore, so I will get the calipers out and measure them for future reference. These minies appear to be Lyman 575611s. I think I would like to fool with minies in this thing. What is the best mold/design to use? Looks like there are a lot of different ones out there, although of course everything is out of stock at the moment.

The critical thing is bore fit. Get that wrong and none will shoot well. My PH will shoot some darn small groups with 42gr 3f OE

I been shooting Zoli barreled Zouave's since the 60's . I have always shot the 575213 either the standard or OS mold . I have a size die that does not change the as cast diameter but will make sure that the skirts are all as perfectly round as can be and also adds just a hint of the old Ideal BP lube to the grooves . I use 65 g of FFg in the rifle and 55g in the carbine . I use lithium based bearing grease in the cavity, not filled but a healthy smear . This has always worked for me . I still have stocks of Dupont powder that I reserve for match shooting and hunting and my normal powder is Gearhart & Owen from the first few years after Dupont sold out the black powder to them . Have shot the GOEX in them also and don't see a great lot of difference in G&O and the GOEX that I have that is from 10 years ago .

Both of mine do well also with PRB .

I push the minie to the powder then drop the steel ramrod three times , giving a little flip as it's dropped from about 12-18" above the seated minie . Not hard or it will deform the nose but lightly .

Last edited:
Back