• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Barrel??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm having an Issac Haines style rifle built for me. If it was you which barrel would you choose Rice, Colerain, or Green River works. All offer a 38" swamped .54 caliber. This will be a hunting rifle and I am sure all will produce a rifle far more accurate than the shooter. And while I'm at it I'm looking at Jim Chamber's large Siler lock, opinions?

John

Undoubtedly the Rice barrel...... And use the Chambers large Siler or Deluxe Siler, and make sure it came from Chambers. (Lifetime Warranty..... if it came directly from Jim Chambers Flintlocks)
I have built over a dozen of these & it is the cats meow when it comes to a deer hunting rifle or woods walk rifle. :thumbsup:
It is gonna weigh 7.5# in & up to 8.5# depending on the density of the wood,how much he trims it down, and the butt plate & butt shape. But the balance is awesome and it will shoulder like a 6# rifle !! :wink:

If money is not an option go with the Rice, The finish is a lot nicer and doesn't take a whole lot to clean up. I've used Colerain too and haven't had any issues with them either other than the outside requiring more filing. Ditto on the deluxe siler. You'll have a fine rifle.

Use the Rice if for no other reason you will have a breech plug fit that you can depend on. If you want to save a little money or want square bottom rifling then Rice offers what they call a gun makers special. Same quality inside just square rifling and needs to be draw flied on the outside same as the other two you mentioned.
Bill

Rice for sure. No contest. Ditto like the bird dog suggests and get a CHAMBERS from Chambers. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your responses. I favored the Rice but by reputation only, no first hand experience. I appreciate your experienced thoughts on this.

Another couple of questions if you will allow. Does Chambers make the deluxe Siler in a left hand version? I couldn't find it one on their web sight. I'm thinking brass furniture, a single trigger and a wooden patch box ; or none at all. What is your point of view? I want to keep the rifle appropriate to its period but first and formost this will be a hunting rifle, everything from whitetails to elk.

John

No, the Deluxe Siler doesn't come in LH. Only the Large Siler & the Gunmakers locks come in LH. A LH gunmaker & Siler is the same lock, just the gunmakers lock is a flat uncut plate.

As for patchbox, IMHO pretty much useless other than looks. I carry the things I need for the rifle in a possibles. Have rifles with brass, G.Silver & wooden patchboxes, have never lost or damaged a lid hunting with them. Really all depends on what you want...... None of the deer I shot with them griped about me not having a patchbox. :grin:

I concur with BirdDog: the patchbox hasn't done me a boatload of good in the carry- things- around department. i use the small bag at my right hip, and i recommend that you do the same: easier, quicker and quieter as well.

the sliding wooden patch box does look really cool, though.

just one guy's opinion.

I would look at the rate of twist of the various barrels first. I know Rice offers other rates of twist for a fee. Don't know about the others. Looking at Rice barrels site I see a new Reading profile! Very cool. They also have a Pope rifled barrel now too.

Another vote for the Rice barrel. Mine came with the breech plug fitted, indexed, and then backed out a turn so you can remove it during the barrel inletting process. They also have a JP Beck original barrel profile which I got. Finish is outstanding! Eemry

You prolly mean Green Mountain. Green River has been out of business for decades.

I'd also vote for Rice among the choices listed.

Right up there with Rice, you might also want to consider a Mark DeHaas barrel. His delivery time may be shorter, and his price more to your liking. Mark makes excellent barrels, used my a lot of chunk gun shooters.

paulvallandigham said:
Right up there with Rice, you might also want to consider a Mark DeHaas barrel. His delivery time may be shorter, and his price more to your liking. Mark makes excellent barrels, used my a lot of chunk gun shooters.
I've been waiting just about 20 years now for a 1/2 dozen fowler barrels from De Haas. :haha:

No. I checked into this last spring when buying a barrel. The Colerain .54 has a 1 in 56" twist while the Rice has a 1 in 66" twist. Probably not a lot of difference, but since mine was for a hunting rifle, I went with the slower twist Rice; I have no regrets.

Latest posts

Back