• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where'd The Ball Go?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We punch paper mostly but sometimes amble on over to the cowboy action range and shoot steel.

Now hitting the steel knock down targets isn't a problem but the other day, we (my children and I) found it quite difficult to knock down the six round plates set up in a row.

Even the RSO missed, thinking his shots went left and right.

We were mostly shooting from about 30 feet or so and it was comical at first. But after each reload I walked in closer and finally could put them all down with the .44s and heavily loaded .36s from just about 15 feet! The lightly loaded .36s, didn't have enough oompf to knock the steel down (15 grain charges) though we could hear them hit and sometimes pick out the impact.

So, what profile is the ball traveling? Is it going high or low that close in? Or does one have to adjust where they aim on a non bullseye target?

The knockdowns are one the ground, these plates were chest high like the targets.

One or two hands I can usually get them all into and around the black on a B-2 at 25 feet which is what the sights are regulated for currently.

:doh:

swathdiver said:
I can usually get them all into and around the black on a B-2 at 25 feet which is what the sights are regulated for currently.

25 feet or 25 yards?

If it's 25 yards, you were shooting high as a bullet travels in a shallow arc as gravity pulls it downward.

It should be almost impossible to miss at 30' if your gun is sighted in for 25'. (I didn't think you could sight in a gun that close to tell you the truth. :redface: )

The sights on some of our sixguns are regulated from the factory at 20 an 25 feet.

We must be doing something wrong as the issue wasn't just me, it was my children and the RSO who shoots paper with my guns better than I can. It also wasn't just one gun, we tried five different ones.

Maybe it was our stance on the grass/dirt and former ant piles? :idunno:

Try a shotgun patterning target at this point is my suggestion. And at different ranges, i.e. 7 yards, 15 yards, then 25 yards and 50 yards with the same sight picture. As for the rest...

Distractions. Yes, bullets technically are probably arcing up first above the line of sight at close ranges and then begining their long decent down.

The answer is simple.

You have lost the front sight!!!

My point is you, your are not focusing on the front sight when sighting prior to firing.

Concentrate on the front sight, problem is solved.

Trust me, simple solution, it will work.

I can shoot 9 nice shots on paper and 1 will wander off to where it does not score. A Master told me you lost your front sight, meaning I did not focus on the front sight. If you focus on the front sight, problem goes away.

Just get on paper at several distances to check the sighting. Most BP revolvers are sighted to hit at inappropriate distances - eg 75m for US Army types. That means at 25m-50m they go over the top of the target unless you modify the sights or hold for the groin. At 25 feet, that same sighting might be a good 6 o'clock on the black.

"but I'm getting old and forgetting stuff!"

Old at 43, try remembering stuff at 65.

I improved my shooting by firing my coach, which happens to be my wife.

My scores went up considerably and I now know all the flavors of Hamburger Helper in the grocery store.

Bacon Cheeseburger
Ӣ Hamburger Helper Beef Fried Rice
Ӣ Beef Pasta
Ӣ Cheddar Cheese Melt
Ӣ Cheeseburger Macaroni
Ӣ See All

You want them all, I have eaten most of them, especially when I was single.

It's a about subsistence, not fine dining.

OMG, those sound so good! I could eat a second dinner! I need to investigate this further. Ooo!! I'm going to make that Bacon Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper for the Ethnic Diversity Luncheon they sponsor at work as an American!!!

OK, let's get back on topic...

I can't imagine shooting an iron plate at 25 ft. I once got the *&%$#@ knocked out of me shooting a cap and ball revolver at the end of a hickory log. The ball bounced off and hit me. That was back when I was young, drank a lot, and was not too smart about such things.

I get weary of such too but the plates at my range are at an angle to deflect the round down in front, within a couple of yards. Now that you mention it, we have had some .31 and low powered .36 rounds bounce or tip off the side, hit the walls and fly back at us, even in the tiki huts many yards away! I tell the kids, it's just part of shootin', they shrug their shoulders, grin and keep firing. :thumbsup:

Most Cowboy action targets are not meant to be knocked over, those that are, are meant for shotguns at close range and are supposed to be difficult to knock down. Steel plate racks like those used for U.S.P.S.A. type shooting are set to a minimum power factor for knock down, (meaning if you don’t hit it square or your gun doesn’t have enough knockdown the plate won’t fall).
If your gun suddenly looses accuracy and you can’t even hit a target at 20 feet, assuming your sight isn’t loose. Your barrel might have become leaded. A leaded barrel can happen suddenly and make it almost impossible to hit anything. I removed a 9 grain tube of lead from a .22 pistol once that’s ¼ of a bullet stuck in the barrel.

Back