• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Where do I go about finding tomahawk heads? Most that I can find are either cheap made or are so expensive you need to make $100,000 a year to aford them.

tryinhard said:
Where do I go about finding tomahawk heads? Most that I can find are either cheap made or are so expensive you need to make $100,000 a year to aford them.

:shake: :confused: $100 000 !?
That's some nice Hawk!Got a link to it?

tryinhard,
Check the "Member Resource" forum. Might get a source from there. Also just asking the question
may get a source you are looking for.I agree
that some things are priced beyond what most
of us can afford to pay. But, there are folks
out there doing quality work that are understanding to this. Sometimes it is difficult
to find them,but you are at the right place to do
so.
Good luck,
snake-eyes

H&B Forge makes a pretty good hawk, and has several different shapes, sizes and styles. I have not priced them recently, but they are well made. I see their booth at Friendship each year.

Are the ones you can buy off of e-bay any good? I've seen the throwing kind on there for $10.00 or less.

You get what you pay for. Most of the stuff for that price are going to be cheap castings, and they don't hold up to any kind of heavy use. If you want something as a decoration, they are fine. If you actually want an axe to throw, or to cut wood, its worth spending more money to get a forged axe.

There are lots of blacksmiths making quality working type hawks with tool steel bits in them.

I have a bunch of good ones. Mountain State is one of them. Cains now I beleive. Have one left that a Amish blacksmith made, I bought four of him for 30.00 apeice. sold the other ones to my buddys. The one I am using now is a 10.00 one I bought at the Flea Market. It is from India.Have one on order from Pa.It is copied from the one that won the Pa hawk throwing contest. My buddy has two of them. They are 37.50 shipped to you. I have the web site in my favorites. Allen is a good one, warranted for life. Had one but sold it. Have two other ones that are hand forged. Have a trunk full of hawks. Did a show and tell and filled up one of those white floding tables. Have a bunch of good throwing knives. I bought some of the hawks and knives of E-bay some were good. Dilly

Heres the place in Pa. Pioneer Arms,355 Lawrence RD, Broomall, Pa. 19008. He has a web site. He sells mule ear locks too. Dilly

Here is a link . We have 4 hawks for this source. A very fair price and a good quality product. My daughter loves her french hawk. :thumbsup:
Link

I am looking for something that I would find here in southern Missouri in the 1840's or so. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of history during that timeframe. My family came from Tennesee and were well known as trappers at that time. I have heard stories of my great great grandpa shooting deer at 200 yds with a .54 cal. Kentucky type rifle. I guess that is where I get my need for snypering from.

CrazyCrow has a nice one.
I bought one from them,it throws real nice.[url] http://crazycrow.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy Crow has some good hawks, and some poor hawks. You get what you pay for. And they are the major wholesale supplier for most of the vendors at ron-d-voos.

And there are a lot of bad imports coming in from India and Pakistan - and being sold by many vendors all around the nation. A simple look inside the eye of the hawk head will "tell the tale". Look for the modern ARC WELDING inside the eye. The metal is hand forged into shape, wrapped around the eye mandrel, and then ARC WELDED all around the blade and ground smooth - instead of being forge welded together. A bunch of the cheap hand-forged hawks are being made this way. After a little use, the two halves of the blade start to crack and split apart!

As I said, Crazy Crow sells some good ones, and some cheap ones - as do a number of other big and small vendors. You get what you pay for.

Many blacksmiths make good hawks. And with them, you know what you are getting. The price tends to be a little more than the cheapo's, but you can follow it back to the specific person who made it. And their business/rep depends upon their products.

Check the various vendor links. You will often hear good things said about many of them - like Randy Wolfe, Beaver Bill, George Shimek, Dennis Miles, Mike Quade, as well as Winkler, Anisle, and de Laronde.

There are some deals out there, and you can even find a few on evil-bay. Just do your checking.

Just some humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - out in the Hinterlands

Sorry for all the fuss about this but.... Would I be better off with one made for throwing or one that has a hammer head on the back of it? My wife thinks I have totally lost it but I am really liking this rendezvous thing. I am kind of a history buff, if I like the subject, anyway.

A lot of the answers depend upon what time period, geographical area, and ethnic culture you are interested in.

First, throwing a hawk is a SPORT. Nothing more. It's competition for fun and/or profit. Any "hawk" can be thrown, but some work better. And the "hard core" competitors choose, tweak, and treat their throwing hawk like the precision sports equipment they view it as. Many events have had to write up pretty detailed rules for hawk throwing - because of the little tricks and gimmicks that some hard-core win-at-any-cost competitors have brought to what had been friendly competition. But once rules are written up, there are always those people who spend more time trying to get around or bend the rules than accept and work within them.

And so much of throwing a hawk comes down to personal preferences. Short handle, long handle, light head, heavy head, wide/long cutting edge, smooth handle or grooved for gripping, etc.

A hawk with a hammer pole does help increase its usefulness as a WORKING TOOL - pounding in tent stakes being a big use. But it also narrows down the what/when/where of its' style, shape, and who would have used it. Plus, that pole pushes the time period for any hawk or axe mostly into the late 1700's, but more generally into the 1800's. The round eye hawk/axe with no hammer pole goes from the 1800's (even 1900's) all the way back well into the Middle Ages and earlier.

In the end, it's all a matter of personal choice. How well do you wish it to fit into your chosen time period, culture, geographic region, and how you expect to use it. And that final concern - the LOOK you want in a hawk - which often ignores all the other considerations.

Just my humble thoughts and opinions to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Be warned! Sharp toys can quickly become ADDICTIVE! Once you get one, the next just seems to ... fall into your hands as if fate had guided it! After that second one, all is lost - and only strong will, liquid therapy, and constant supervision of the spouse will control the addiction.

You might also look at Fort Turner tomahawks. They're a lot thinner than H & B Forge's version, and cut more easily--and I've yet to hear of anyone breaking one. The top part of the head isn't as flat as with an H & B 'hawk, but they're nice, sharp, and light.

Latest posts

Back