• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to find good stains and dyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking at some water based dyes from woodcraft but they do not bring out or up the wood grain in the stock.I have a grade 4 curly maple stock I would really like to bring out the wood grain to stand out.Where do I go to find a good choice of colors for dye or stain,or how can I bring out the wood grain in the stock with them dyes.

Thanks
Jason

Proper, and HC stain would be Aqua Fortis. It's applied, let dry then blushed with a heat gun or some other heat source. It makes the curl pop. Scary part is first time you use it. When you apply the wet solution and let it dry it turns the stock an ugly grey green. When you apply heat it will then blush and turn a nice reddish brown. You can get it from MBS or Track. You can also make your own by using Ferric Nitrate crystals. You mis them approximately 2 parts solution to one part Ferric Nitrate. You can get the crystals from The Science Company cheaply. You can make your own A?F by dissolving iron in Nitric Acid until it stops reacting. A rather toxic job, and not recommended by
Amateurs. If you wish to try it it's best to try it on scrap or in the barrel channel.

Bill

Just how many coats does it need to just a nice medium color of reddish brown.I am not looking at a really dark color or light.

Thanks
Jason

Where do I find it at I looked at tracks stains and dyes counld not find it ..Please give me a link to it please.

A good AF can be had from Wahkon Bay now owned by Mike Lea. He should have a website. A nice reddish brown can be achieved from Jim Klein's stains, formerly Dangler stains. First apply the orange toner and then the reddish brown...gives a nice reddish brown color w/ lighter undertones. LMF stains are also good...their nut brown would yield a reddish brown. For all the stains, darkness is dependent on the number of coats. All except the AF are alcohol based so can be lightened w/ a rub down of alcohol on a rag....Fred

Thanks For the info.I will look them up and give them a call.

Jason

I did order the stains from Jim Klein.The orange and the reddish brown worked good on the sample wood I ordered for woodcraft.Thanks for letting me know about Jim Klein's stains.They work perfect for what I was looking for.

Thanks
Jason

Jason K said:
I have been looking at some water based dyes from woodcraft but they do not bring out or up the wood grain in the stock.I have a grade 4 curly maple stock I would really like to bring out the wood grain to stand out.Where do I go to find a good choice of colors for dye or stain,or how can I bring out the wood grain in the stock with them dyes.

Thanks
Jason
Aqua fortis (from TOW) and Chambers oil finish. Doesn't get any better for maple.

Back