• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy, the right rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howdydoit

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Im looking for something Pre Rev, sort of coming into my own at about 1774-1777.

Where could I spend my money wisely on a rifle/smoothbore that would be PC passable in my time frame above or possably a couple of years earlier then 1774. Id like to find the right rifle as that is the hardest part.

I do not reenact but may want too one day. Please guys any help would be appreciated very much. A kit could even be a possiblity, I have a friend that has been building for a long time.

one more thing im wanting a rifle in 54 cal or a smoothy close to it, but 20 gauge would be fine too

Howdy

Check out the Jim Chambers smooth rifles or fowler. Here's the Link

I've been thinking hard about the smooth rifle at the bottom, just wish I had a builder closer to home in case I hit a snag.

Howdy,
I have a smooth rifle by Ken Netting that might be what you are looking for. Flint, octagon to round, a little wire and carving in 54 caliber. The gun is about 15 years old and unfired. If you might have an interest let me know and I can forward some pictures.
Mark

howdydoit said:
Im looking for something Pre Rev, sort of coming into my own at about 1774-1777.

Where could I spend my money wisely on a rifle/smoothbore that would be PC passable in my time frame above or possably a couple of years earlier then 1774. Id like to find the right rifle as that is the hardest part.

I do not reenact but may want too one day. Please guys any help would be appreciated very much. A kit could even be a possiblity, I have a friend that has been building for a long time.

one more thing im wanting a rifle in 54 cal or a smoothy close to it, but 20 gauge would be fine too

Howdy

Probably the best bet would be to contact someplace like Dixon's ML supply in Kempton PA or check the Track of the Wolf site. Best to get a rifle from a known maker. You also need to do your own research as to what the rifle should look like.
There are other websites as well that specialize in American Longrifles, discussion, building etc.

Smooth or rifled is your choice. Its always good for an argument. The bottom line is if you shoot solid shot the rifle in the best choice, if you want to shoot birds get a fowler. As a friend said "if you can hit it with a Rb from a smoothbore you can hit it better with a rifle."
Any caliber over 40 is perfectly correct for a rifle of the 1760s-1770s.
In fact large bore guns, over 50, are rare in rifles that have survived in like new or near new condition.
Most of these are rifles from collections in England and some are battle field captures from the Rev War.
But a few are 54-58, then as now there were different opinions of the "right" bore size. Simply pointing out that an early rifle need not be a large bore to be HC. So a 42-45 caliber rev war rifle is just as "correct" as a 54-58. This is confirmed by the rifles and the writings of the time, American journals, British Army officers writings etc.

I would also point out that is is nearly impossible to determine what a F&I war period longrifle looks like. The book "Steel Canvas" has many color photos of Kentucky rifles including one that is surely from the 1760s in near mint condition. Its a 42 caliber BTW.

Dan

Ty for all the info guys. I know i have some homework to do. But thought there were guys out there that had done all that and were making excelent firearms.

Howdy

Howdy, I'll put one more plug in for Ken Netting. I too have a smoothrifle built by him and love it. It has a 38" .58 cal oct to round smooth barrel built in the style of Christian's springs rifles. He has about a 2 year wait so I'd talk to papa about his if your serious. Hell if I had the money right now I'd be talking to him. Dan also makes some valid points about having a rifle and a fowler, depends on what kind of hunting you do and how many guns you can afford I guess.

Howdy,
Get hold of a guy named Mike Meese. He built mine for the same period, a really nice J. P. Dickert reproduction. Go to MA Meese.com and leave him your phone nbr and he'll call you back. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back