• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy flints in UK?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here, I can find chert. There were a few Native American tribes. I find arrowheads in a local creek, and also in freshly plowed fields. I wish I had someone like @rich pierce to show me how. My flints have either come out as thin as a wafer, or they look like they're 8 months pregnant!

There is a German guy with a strange last name like Krank or Crank over there that apparently is in the black powder weapons business that may have flints. No idea on pricing, though.
Gunter Stifter (actually his son these days). He sell swan flints. I have used them many years, last much much longer than black knapped. But, they are expensive and his web site if mangled conglomeration of German and English that is very hard to interpret.

Gunter Stifter (actually his son these days). He sell swan flints. I have used them many years, last much much longer than black knapped. But, they are expensive and his web site if mangled conglomeration of German and English that is very hard to interpret.
Do you have a link?

Dear Mr Smoothshooter, a few pointers into UK legislation for your edification.

The citizens do not vote taxes into law. The government advisors to the Treasury do that. The Chancellor of the Exchequer - the most senior member of the cabinet - presents a budget ot two to Parliament every year, which, having been read in the budget speech, he 'commends'. That's it. No citizen input - a bit like your Federal tax and state tax - do YOU vote for them?

Henry Krank is the trade-name of the company based in Pudsey, Yorkshire, which is the largest vendor of BP products in the UK.

Living a short way from Brandon, and a long way from Kranks, means that if I ever needed flints, I'd go directly to the original source, and buy them from one of the nappers there.
I suspect the VAT and local taxes the citizens over there love to vote into law have a lot to do with the high prices.
There is a German guy with a strange last name like Krank or Crank over there that apparently is in the black powder weapons business that may have flints. No idea on pricing, though.

On one of your trips to the US, why not buy 20 dozen or so and take them back home in your checked luggage, or is that illegal over there too?

We vote on some state taxes, and vote on members of Congress at the state and national level.
In a lot of states, if their Congressman or Senators vote for too many taxes, they get voted out of office at the next election.

We vote on some state taxes, and vote on members of Congress at the state and national level.
In a lot of states, if their Congressman or Senators vote for too many taxes, they get voted out of office at the next election.
Y'see, the UK is not a federation of often vastly different states, it is one nation, so taxes, apart from those levied by counties, like those for services, are not up for negotiation.

Sales taxes are the same in all four countries of the Union - 20% on everything except food, books and children's clothing. In the US of A you also have two levels of people on whom to vote - senators and congressmen - here we don't. None of our low-level politicians - called Members of Parliament [354 or so of them] - have any input into taxation affairs.

I had at one time scoured the hills and river beds in the Sussex highlands. Did not find any. But a visit to the USGS site sure gave me an education on the Geological History of the Region. I guess one,s region has flint or it does not. Here in NC I have Chunks of Rose Quartz all over my Property , just wish they were flint nodules...

Last edited:
Have you discovered Henry Krank yet? I have not looked at his prices, but his web/site does have a lot of black powder, muzzleloading supplies. Including replacement locks and lock parts, when they are in stock.

Dear Mr Smoothshooter, a few pointers into UK legislation for your edification.

The citizens do not vote taxes into law. The government advisors to the Treasury do that. The Chancellor of the Exchequer - the most senior member of the cabinet - presents a budget ot two to Parliament every year, which, having been read in the budget speech, he 'commends'. That's it. No citizen input - a bit like your Federal tax and state tax - do YOU vote for them?

Henry Krank is the trade-name of the company based in Pudsey, Yorkshire, which is the largest vendor of BP products in the UK.

Living a short way from Brandon, and a long way from Kranks, means that if I ever needed flints, I'd go directly to the original source, and buy them from one of the nappers there.
Where do you find the local knappers? I am only a couple of miles from you.

Here is his resplone - hot off the press!!

Hi Tac,
Many thanks for getting in touch.
I'm still going and pretty busy. I've been making them for years, but only started making them commercially in April/May last year, and I haven't stopped.
I supply Krank, but prices are cheaper on my website.
My website has a dedicated page just for gunflints and can be found at www.primitive-technology.co.uk/shop/gunflint
As a new branch to my business, I'm not planning on giving up any time soon.
Hope that helps.

All the best

Karl

Short of that you could just do what I do and smash flint until you get some useful bits from it. I stopped buying flints years ago. I have a jar full of flint's, ok, they are err interesting shapes but work very well.

I even found a small piece at work recently, smashed it up, fitted some to the cock and give the folk at work a try and then went on to fill the pot. Same dam flint is still in the lock!

Back