• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where can i get a kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Besides pecatonica , I love their precarves but been waiting to long. So where else can I get a precarve southern mnt rifle kit for my barrel I just got?

Since you already have the barrel you might be better off buying a lock also and having someone take a blank and inleting it to them and shape it, I'm sure there are several on this forum that would be willing to do it for ya, you would just need to check on what they would charge, good luck

Most sellers out there like Muzzleloaders Builders Supply, Jedediah Star Trading, Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders and most others, all get their kits from Pecatonica. The only places I know who build and sell their own kits are Kibler and Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders. Kibler's are the easiest to assemble. TVM are good kits. Cost about the same as Kibler's but require much more work. If you're looking for a quickie, go Kibler. If you have some skill and want room to personalize your ML, go TVM. Wait time is about the same. Semper Fi.

Again, I sound like a broken record, if you get a pre-carve, "DON'T LET THEM DO YOUR LOCK INLET"! Do it yourself so it will be in the right place or it might come to you like the one I got.

100_4992.JPG

I am guessing that at least 30% of the lock inlets are going to be off just a little, some like mine are off so far that I have heard of a number of builders sending them back to the supplier. I bought this TOW kit 3rd hand so there was no sending it back.

Inletting a lock is far easier than fixing a mess like I found when I opened the box.

On this pre-carve I requested that the pre-carve not have the lock inlettted. It was a breeze to put the lock in the right place. This is an early TN rifle pre-carve from the "P" place.

squirrel rifle done 008.JPG

If you have a barrel, maybe Kibs would sell you a kit minus the barrel? Can't see why not!
The bought barrel will not fit the Kibler inlet. Kibler makes no variations on his wood. His CNC process does not allow him to inlet for someone else barrel. Use the barrel for something else or sell it.

Kibler usually has SMR "quick ship" kits. They have some tiny flaw in the wood. There is no waiting on them. 99.9% of builders will make a better rifle from a Kibler kit than a scratch build or precarve. There is no shame in assembling a first class rifle from a Kibler. I'd rather have that than a wonkie poorly done rifle made from a precarve.

Keep in mind that the Kibler lock is the best production lock made. The difference is night and day. The cast parts locks that are normally available are junk compared to the Kibler CNC lock.

I am in total agreement with Eric. I will never again work from a precarve stock. The chance of buying a junk stock is about 25% based on my experience. I have returned them. I have sliced up fancy maple for firewood. I have lost sleep over it. I have had precarve stocks turn a pleasant hobby into a frustrating and expensive mess. IF you cut on it you can not return it. You will not know it is unusable junk until after you start working on it by cutting on it. The old pantograph method of making pantograph precarve stocks is extremely flawed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back