• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When will a cap pop?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwfeatherston

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After feeling nervous capping my pistols, then dropping my rifle hammer from 1/2 cock and the cap not firing, I was wondering how much force was needed to set one of these off.

With goggles and glasses fitted, I put a parallel punch in the vice and fitted a cap. I then hit it with a hammer- no go. So I hit it harder and harder. Nothing.

Must be a dud, I thought. At this stage the cap was quite deformed.

So I put it on the anvil and gave it a good hard tap with a 20 oz hammer. BANG.

Then I got the forceps and removed the peice of copper from my fingertip...

At least now I'm sure they won't go off when I push them on the nipple with finger pressure.
CCI #11 caps, for the record.

I did some similar destructive testing with #11 caps a while back... when I was trying to see how sensitive they were in relation to the theory of a "chain-fire" occurring at the rear of the cylinder--due to overly sensitive caps.

I whacked them, smashed them, crushed them, et cetera...

I did almost identical things to them that you described, YET when place on a nipple the caps do NOT require very much impact force to detonate. I did not have any way to measure that force exactly (here at home). However, from my past experience performing similar test procedures on "classified" projects, I would estimate the amount of force to be very little.

I think that it also proves that the reason for very strong hammer springs is for faster ignition, NOT to insure that additional impact force is available for detonating the more "stubborn" caps.

I don't mind a heavy mainspring, unless it affects the trigger pull significantly... and on the better designed, quality locks and guns, this doesn't appear to be a problem of any great worries.

If I might ask about your injury though... did the cap fragment completely enter the finger--was it under the skin entirely or just sticking out of it? Just me being curious about it, and also what precautions you took to clean the wound out... hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, betadine, merthiolate, neosportin, bacitracin, and various other anti-bacterial compounds and cleansers on the market. Some of these might not be available to the both of us, being on opposite sides of the world.

I am going to enter a new post about incidental cuts, etc. on the general forum and see what we find out.

Shoot Safely, and take care of yourself!
WV_Hillbilly

PS I really have to be careful about infections due to some chronic health conditions I suffer from.

wwfeatherston-On one of the cowboy forums,there are some pictures posted of gentleman missing the tip of his thumb from pushing the caps on loaded 60 Army.I use a dowel to seat the caps on revolvers.Like they say- Never say Never..Respectfully montanadan

On one of the cowboy forums,there are some pictures posted of gentleman missing the tip of his thumb from pushing the caps on

Several years ago, posted on another site, I also saw a picture of the aftereffect of what was labeled as exerting too much "gorilla thumb" in placing a cap on a nipple. Cap and load discharged while thumb was still in contact with the nipple. Resulting backblast peeled the skin away from the thumb like a peeled banana, leaving a blackened bone. Gruesome pic. Like to see it again if only as a precautionary note about using too much "gorilla thumb" with percussion guns. :front:
Bob

I would certainly use due caution when fitting a cap to a charged cylinder/chamber!

Trick is, to make sure you have the right sized caps for the nipple. I tried to put #10 caps onto a nipple that was loose to a #11. Rather than force them on and risk a detonation, I fired with the caps part on. Most would not fire- the first hammer strike pushed then on, the second time round fired them.

I'm going to try the RWS 1075 caps, when I can get to the nearest dealer that has some.

The bit of copper didn't penetrate too far and I got it all out. All cleaned and healed up now!

Should I mention how smart you are for using eye protection when doing anything firearms related?
No I don't think I have to. :front:

I know they'll "POP" when you drop them in a fire...

Yes they will, but here's something really strange--can anyone provide a good theory as to how this could happen?

When I was smashing caps and doing all kinds of destructive testing with them -- I put the flame of a propane torch on one and held it there for about 15 seconds and IT DID NOT DETONATE? Very odd indeed! I let it cool back down to room temp. Then I put the cap on the nipple of my gun--the hammer whacked it and it went off right away!

Anyway, now I digress, but I am getting around to making an applicable point later on in my ramblings.

I think that's pretty weird. But then, if there's a fluke (or messed up item) to be found in stuff I usually find it. When there's a whole shelf full of an item I want to pick from. I never grab the first one (Remember how people--kids usuall-will knock the first one off on the floor, and then they put it back in front of the rest). I usually randomly pick from the ones in the middles of the group. and I STILL end up with one that has pieces missing, or doesn't work correctly, or is somethow broken... Anyone ever have that happen to you with a lot more frequency than what would be considered average?

I also avoid buying the only one (of an item) left on the shelf, or the one with the cellophane torn, or the edge of the box kind of dinged in a little, or the box has been opened and not resealed... those are pretty good indications that something IS WRONG with the contents. Yet I have bought some very heavily discounted items because of these foibles and have ended up with something that worked perfectly, or something that just required a minor fix. I enjoy being able to return "the ear to the sow" and still have a nice "silk purse" for my effort. How 'bout it?

Are there any of you others out there that are "fixer-uppers" who like a challenge? Doesn't it make you feel good when you are able to "ressurect" a nice rusted up gun (not talking about an original that is merely showing normal wear and it's age). My wife calls me "Mr. Fix-It". It's strange, but I've been able to fix many things that were destined for the waste-bins.

I love to get a bargain and then be able to repair it for next to nothing--except my labour. I consider doing this almost as much fun as shooting muzzleloaders. My eldest son has this kind of talent as well. I've seen him figure out some pretty complicated things too. Sometimes the actual construction of a repair part is beyond his know-how, but he does know what is needed to fix the broken one.

I might be wrong about this, but I think that is the type of "elan" or "esprit" that many muzzleloaders have. I don't know about you all, but I'd rather have that kind of trait than just about anything else.

Fixing things, making my own parts, helping others when I can - "very rewarding". Too many people only get satisfaction from a daily routine. I'd rather have more variety (if possible) I'm noot the type of person who plans to retire from a long boring period of 30+ years at a job, and then die from lack of activity because I never found time for a good hobby or sat staring into space and twiddle my thumbs till I keep over from boredom.

So let's stay safe while we do things like testing caps and such, but also remember that it's simple things that have been turned into great inventions and kept people going by keeping their minds sharp and keen. That's my point. Sorry I took so long to make it, but wanted to bring out some more details about the "why" of "why we do what we do"...

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

PS I'm running on an "empty tank" as I got barely any sleep lat night, so I sure hope I didn't leave you a mess of contending with mis-spelled words that aren't in correct syntax. I fell asleep here on the monitor for a while, and it's almost 11:00 here. Hope I didn't zap myself too badly with low frequency EM radiation....?

There's a lot to be said for your way of doing things. I'm basically the same way. Kind of sad, really if you look at how things are today..everything seems to be a throw away. Even sadder is how most kids are raised today. Entertainment...that is all most of the folks today think about..kid or adult. I guess I was lucky when I was a kid. We made our entertainment. In so doing one learned how to cut a straight line..how to drive a nail...all that. Today, if it doesn't have a screen and pushbuttons and some wacky video game..there is no interest. Some would rather sit on thier can and push buttons. Rediculous.

My idea of recycling is fixing something thrown out- I also like to make something do a job, when it was originaly made to do another!

Regarding the eye protection when shooting, that goes double with BP!

Had a peice of cap come off today (not playing around with them, but shooting!)

While it didn't go near my eye, it landed on my trigger finger. Trying to get it off while keeping the muzzle down range, I got a procedural for getting my targets out of sequence!

That copper is HOT!

But then, if there's a fluke (or messed up item) to be found in stuff I usually find it.

Know that feeling, I say this often, 50 50 chance of getting it right /100% wrong

Are there any of you others out there that are "fixer-uppers" who like a challenge?

My 1962 maytag dryer was my latest challenge. The switch that lets the juice go to the heating coil got too hot and and no longer let the contacts work. It's mounted to the drive motor that I replaced about 8 years ago that cost me to much back then. I used a piece of brass to fix it that was left over from a long rifle I'm working on.

My wife calls me "Mr. Fix-It".

Mine doesn't, She calls me something alot different :crackup:

Fixing things, making my own parts, helping others when I can - "very rewarding".

:RO:

Lehigh...

Ya need a silk purse. Ya got a sow's ear.
Whats a guy gonna do?
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Latest posts

Back