• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When to clean your flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Go to deer camp Friday night, plan to hunt Saturday and Sunday morning. Shoot at a deer Saturday morning, reload and track. Find the deer, field dress and take it back to camp. After lunch go back out and hunt until dark, no more shots taken. Question is do I need to discharge and clean the gun or can I wait until after my hunt Sunday morning? All comments appreciated.
Percy

jackley said:
Yes, clean!!
+3
Black powder soot wants to destroy your gun as soon as possible. Overnight it starts to work. As it cools dew comes out looking for a spot to sleep with steel and give birth to rust, a ugly malformed baby there to great the dawn.

I would have cleaned it when I was cleaning my knife and other gear after cleaning the deer.

tenngun said:
jackley said:
Yes, clean!!
+3
Black powder soot wants to destroy your gun as soon as possible. Overnight it starts to work. As it cools dew comes out looking for a spot to sleep with steel and give birth to rust, a ugly malformed baby there to great the dawn.

Strangely poetic. And true!!

+4

Thanks for all the comments. Others in camp said he could wait a day or two so I thought I would ask the question here. My friend did clean his gun right after he got his deer hung up to cool.
Percy

larry wv said:
I would leave it loaded. It's not going to rust away in a day.
Your right of course, but it will start to rust a tiny bit, get into those tiny pores, and once it's started your always fighting to keep it at bay.
It's much, much easier to keep a clean barrel clean then to have to constantly battle keeping the rust process down to manageable.

larry wv said:

Larry
That's true, but why let any rust start, or even risk staring if you don't need too?
Plus that its just fun to pay with your gun, it lets you relive your hunt, I sharpen my knife when done. Pat Mcmannis talked about how your deer can grow after the hunt. You kill a 60 lbs spike, and soon he grows to a monster with a rack like an oak tree :haha: While your cleaning your gun your deer is busy growing :wink:

necchi said:
larry wv said:
Your right of course, but it will start to rust a tiny bit, get into those tiny pores, and once it's started your always fighting to keep it at bay.
It's much, much easier to keep a clean barrel clean then to have to constantly battle keeping the rust process down to manageable.

This is sage advice. Rust will gather in those little pores and begin to brew. Life is not good when you're fighting rust colored patches forever.

Back