• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When Loading,What Method Do You?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
When loading your muzzleloader, how do you position your firearm?

bbl.jpg

I employ position #1 because I use the front sight blade to align my patch the same way each time (ticking stripes parallel) and when I am done I can raise the gun to bear without rotating the gun, then simply prime and shoot.
(note, just because the ramrod is positioned on the far side of the barrel doesn't mean I reach over the muzzle to replace it)

I imagine this could fall under a right hand - left hand preference, but I was just wondering which you use and why.

I'm doing it from a sitting position, just feels the most natural to me to wrap my left thumb around/near the front site.

MM - Good to see ya back again. How goes the battle?

I generally use what I would describe as a 2 1/2 by your illustrations. Never really thought about why - it's just the way the gun leans in the cradle at the loading table and where I stand, I guess. I use plain (i.e. no striping) 300 TPI .015 cotton fabric for patching and I cut at the muzzle. I have not noticed that it makes any difference which way the weave on the patch is oriented in relationship to anything.

I use position #4. I rest the rifle butt on my foot so it doesn't get buggered up on the ground.

HD

Had to grab my rifle and pretend I was loading it. :hmm: But now I know that I position the barrel at about 3 1/2. That position keeps the barrel angled slightly away from my head and helps me to use my finger and thumb to guide powder into the barrel. GW

I use 4. I guess because it is the easiest way to get the ramrod out and in. In the case of a speed loading match, The rifle comes right up with out having to be turned. This is just the way my loading has evolved over the years.
:thumbsup:

I use #4 and rest the buttplate on my foot also. It feels the most natural to me.

#3. I want the front sight above and away from me, so I can see it when I am loading the ball in front of it. We have loading benches at the club range, with either notches, or wooden dowel rods sticking out of the bench against which to lean the guns during loading, and cleaning. I always like leaning the gun barrel against the bench using the top flat.Considering the pitch to the stock, and how it establishes a base for the gun to rest upon, Its easier to load the gun if its leaning against the top flat, with the front sight over the bench.

I use #2 or I position the front sight away from the palm of my hand. I rest the butt on my left toe and am able to use my left index finger to align the powder measure as I dump the powder in....no spillage that way.

It depends on the gun. My long barreled fowlers are loaded using method #3 because I have to "walk up the barrel" some with the butt behind me. My shorter barreled guns that I can hold between my knees while loading are done using method #3. My pistols are loaded usually while in a stand and they would be loaded using method #3 as well.

Many Klatch

#3 all the time, both at the range and while hunting...resting on the heel of the curved butt plate, that orientation gives a natural tilt that angles the muzzle away from my face and the ramrod is right there in easy reach

-----when I go to the range I take an old carpet to set the rifle on to save the but--a lot of guys set their rifles right on the cement and gravel-----

Back