• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheellocks at the Met

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I visited the Met today and was able to scare impress my fiancé and friends with my wheellock enthusiasm
IMG_0257.jpeg

IMG_0253.jpeg

IMG_0241.jpeg

IMG_0254.jpeg
IMG_0239.jpeg

IMG_0240.jpeg

I only stopped to take photos of a handful of them, but they had some guns with bone work that were almost impossible to comprehend. There is one wheellock that is completely covered in carved bone and I wish I remembered to photo it. Very much high art!

Yes. Maker is Peter Peck from Munich. Purveyor to Emperor Charles V & Bavarian Duke Albrect V.
1550 or so...
He made quite a few Double barreled wheellocks. He also liked the dual dogs... spin to the other pyrite if one did not work. Different than a separate dog assembly.
20240210_222225.jpg

William

Yes. Maker is Peter Peck from Munich. Purveyor to Emperor Charles V & Bavarian Duke Albrect V.
1550 or so...
He made quite a few Double barreled wheellocks. He also liked the dual dogs... spin to the other pyrite if one did not work. Different than a separate dog assembly.
View attachment 293630
William
The online collection for the Musée de l'Armée has some great photos of one of his pistols with the two headed dogs, if someone is brave enough to try making one!

I only stopped to take photos of a handful of them, but they had some guns with bone work that were almost impossible to comprehend. There is one wheellock that is completely covered in carved bone and I wish I remembered to photo it. Very much high art!
here is a less than flattering candid photo of me that shows the bone covered wheellock and then the musuem’s official picture:
IMG_7298.jpeg
IMG_0268.png

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/23197
IMG_0272.jpeg

In our collection we have a piece of bone inlay from a gun that they acquired last year. It’s very cool. Been thinking of adapting it to a flask.View attachment 293780
Jay
It would also be great on a patchbox lid! A German wheellock rifle is probably not super relevant to Jamestown, but you guys can probably find an excuse to commission one.

I go to see the Arms & Armor hall 2-3 times a year and see something new every time. Never disappoints.
If you haven’t already watched them, Adam savage (from mythbusters) has a series of videos in the restoration department of the Met, where he discusses various tools and artifacts with the curators.

Back