• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Wheellock from Bolek

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LT Joe

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Here are a few photos of a new wheellock I just to from Bolek in Poland. It is a very early outside spring model that Bolek calls a "Tschinke" type.  - Tschinke -1.jpg
Tschinke - 2.jpg

WOW!!! That lock is a beauty !!! It's now just begging to have a gun built for it. LOL

I believe the Tschinke style was re-introduced in the mid-18th century for sporting use with nobles in the Bavarian countries. A fad at the time.

Wonderful lock. Congratulations.

Rick

Here are a few photos of a new wheellock I just to from Bolek in Poland. It is a very early outside spring model that Bolek calls a "Tschinke" type.View attachment 249254View attachment 249255
This is my first Tschinke type wheellock and I was surprised to learn that it's operation is very different from the typical wheellock. I thought it was just a regular type wheellock that happened to have the mainspring and chain mounted on the outside. That is not the case. There is no depression or hole on the backside of the wheel which allows the wheel to "lock" into place when it is wound enough for the spring loaded "detent" or pin on the back of the lock to drop into the hole. If you just wind this mechanism the wheel will never lock into place because of this.

Instead , what you do is wind the wheel a full turn with the spanner, which will fully compress the mainspring, and then, while holding the spanner in place, you push in on the strange screw slot-headed bolt you can see sticking out at the rear of the lock and this pushes a bar on the backside which fits into a notch on the sear. This then holds the wheel in place ready for firing. As soon as you pull the trigger this moves the sear which releases that bar holding the compressed mainspring and the wheel then spins.

A very different type of wheellock mechanism and I am told it is somewhat rare.

Latest posts

Back