• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wheellock 'pommel' holster?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNHillbilly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has made one, or has one, of these? I think someone posted a pic of one here way back...had bearskin flap. I'd like to try making one for myself and trying to think through a pattern. Bill

Hi Bill.
That was likely me. :grin: I had this made for me by T.C. Albert from an idea I had. I wanted a carrying method for the big wheellock style pistols, somewhat like the original pistol bucket, but converted for shoulder carry - since I don't own a horse. :haha:
I just gave him the ideas in my head and a few pics of originals, and left the rest to the Artist. I have more pics if you like. By the way, T.C. did a "How To" artical on this pistol boot for Muzzle Loader Magazine.
Rick. :hatsoff:

Thanks for the pics/info! I don't have a horse either and only have one gonne...... More pics are always nice though these are enough that I follow the construction. Maybe others will get the inspiration, too. I was thinking of ways to make a form to wet mold the leather to shape. I have a book called "Packing Iron" that has some bucket holsters originally for Colt Walkers, and some for a few later models. Actually saw some civil War era ones in the Smithsonian but they're not the fur covered type. I'm sure there were others who made carrying strap such as yours! Bill

Hi Bill.
You're most welcome. T.C. also thought about using a wet mold for construction. Even making a mould from styrofoam LOL But determined the mould would have to be made of wood to really duplicate an original style bucket. But I told him not to go to that kind of time and expense since I did not need something that was actually period correct. So this is what we ended up with. Note the interior bottom is lined in black sheepskin. The adjustable buckle on the belt is from an antique horse bit. The small buckle is really cool and adds to the overall look.
There's not a good way to carry these big gonnes. The shoulder carry spreads the weight across the whole upper torso, and is very comfortable and convenient. Like a sword baldric. Here are a couple more pics. Good luck with the project.
Rick.

Hi guys.
I remember this Thread after bumping into a Web-Site while surfing the Web. For those of you interested in Pommel type holsters, you may find this interesting. First time I've seen this Web-Site. Some other cool stuff there also. www.hussarsaddlery.com
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Back