• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheat bread.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good friend of mine suddenly had two dogs, golden retrievers, go down in the same month from cancer, but they were about 4 years apart in age. He'd owned dogs before on the property, a suburban house with large front and back yard. Hired a lawn service that sprayed for weeds and fertilizer. He's the guy who clued me in to looking at the label on a bag of Weed N Feed. The guy who hawked The Garden Weasel tool on TV has several books, and I had a copy of one, and he advocated using the inexpensive KMart "weed & feed". I looked at the stuff at Wally World...., just about every "weed" on the list of what it killed was a plant edible to humans....
Dandelion, clover, plantain, chickweed, chickory, the list goes on...
I stopped using the stuff. I wouldn't mind harvesting some bunnies in the neighborhood, but I don't know how much of herbicide they've ingested from the other lawns and such. :shocked2: :wink:

LD

I live in a rural development where lots are approx. an acre in size. Some have two or three lots most are on one and I find mowing one acre plenty. We all have our own wells and there are only two or three of us that do not use herbicides. That is not to say we never have, but for me it has been more than 10 years and I did not spray the entire yard. I would spot spray close to the plant or brush it on thistles to minimize getting the herbicide airborne and spreading to other places.

I cannot help but think this is all in vain as our area has a lot of sweet corn planted for the local canning plant. As a result there is a lot of spraying done in our area and the stuff drifts over the house during most applications.

I lost a dog last August to what was described as a bleeding growth in her abdomen and right now a younger dog is dying from kidney failure. It sure makes me wonder?

For farms, they sell a product called "Graze On"

It gives the idea you can spray your pastures for weeds whilst the cows are in them, and indeed many do.
Case of keeping the cattlemen happy, and I was a cattleman myself. Never used it. cut my thistles instead.
Though deemed safe, this stuff is Potent!
If cows eat grass in fields just sprayed, and you move them onto a hayfield, I am told the manure Will kill the crop around where it falls.
Got this from a weed inspector girl that used to haunt me for Not spraying my thistles!

I am sure you see the connotations in the above...

Local guy here just lost his entire garden due to horse manure from horses eating hay that was sprayed. Had the soil tested and confirmed the chemicals came from the manure.

For farms, they sell a product called "Graze On"

It gives the idea you can spray your pastures for weeds whilst the cows are in them, and indeed many do.

Indeed!...And cows use to being fed by a farmer on a tractor, will follow behind the sprayer and congregate around it while being sprayed. :youcrazy:

Deer also like to graze in freshly sprayed fields, Think about it next time one sits down to supper. :shocked2:

That is the point that I was trying to make...That, in "English" corn doesn't mean the same as it does in America

It did at one time... :grin:

It was Indian Corn, to distinguish it from things like Barleycorns, but it wasn't universal as Oats are more often referred to as groats when not milled.

..., the change in the language is an unintended consequence of leaving the Dominion of The Realm, and thus abandoning The King's English (Currently The Queen's English).

LD

I don't spray my orchard, it's no good for my bee hives. And the guy down the road will not spray where he raises his cows, so I buy my manure from him. May be full of weed seeds, but I flame weed where I grow food. Practice composting everything and grow green manures for the crops.
Better for my honey, and better for my wife and kids. :v

Along with rye, oats, clover, buckwheat or any other cover, I mix in apx. 20% mustard seed. It grows all year, the bees love it. You can wander into it and add some mustard greens to a salad or mix it in with the collards/ kale/ turnips.
And no, the honey wont taste like mustard.
Have we strayed? :eek:ff

nhmoose said:
Flaming has worked for us on weeds and on Jap beetles and tater bugs. Started 6 years ago and it works way better than sprays.

Propane is also cheaper!

I started using flame on jap beetles this past year....works very well. :thumbsup:

Made some Beer Bread from my Beer to Vinegar batch.
No other yeast used.
Was very yummy.

2 cups flour

1 cup working beer

hand full Raisins

1 tsp Caraway

Nutmeg

Cinamon

Avacado oil

Salt

Mixed all together till together.

Left over night in fridge (beer yeast slow working, I would leave it out next time). Baked 400f for 25min, small flat bread was fine for higher heat. The yeast is slow moving so will take longer to rise

BgisNlV.jpg

jHS76st.jpg

yal9Gcf.jpg

yjMYUo3.jpg

Refrigerating yeast slows them down or puts them to sleep all together depending on the strain.

When you harvest the yeast during fermentation in crucial, as is the total cell count.

You want to harvest during the height of their consumption phase. Otherwise you should make a starter

I put it in the fridge normally to slow down the process and not boil over, that's with regular bread yeast, this is different beast I found. I normaly do bread overnight, the dough is nicer when aged. Once its done I will keep the dregs in a jar and see how it goes :)

I put dough with regular bread yeast in the fridge to develop gluten and structure.

Most ale yeasts have a temp from 60-75 Fahrenheit

When using for bread it is best to use wort at high krausen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back