• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheat bread.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some videos of pancake soup.
(In German)
https://youtu.be/F9iDRrvP3Jw

(Italian version))

https://youtu.be/YZ3znFm5qSI

English version(not soup)
https://youtu.be/bL6tjxYCTT8

Dragonsfire said:
I buy 25lb/10kg bags of berries, I vacuum pack them right away and grind as I need them. One of the biggest problems people face I find is to get grain that not GMO or perverted in other ways.

This is a bit off topic, but your post brought this to mind. I am getting the feeling that agricultural chemical contamination of food products is about to become a really big deal here in the USA. One of my hunting buddies lost his two brother to cancer and he has it as well. Non-hodgkin lymphoma now has ambulance chasing attorneys bringing class actions against chemical companies. I have seen the TV advertisement twice in the last few months. These particular actions are about the popular herbicide called ROUNDUP. As many trying to quit smokers as well as other through the skin absorbed medication users now know the skin leaks like a sieve and can bring ROUNDUP and other chemicals into your bloodstream. All three of these brothers were exposed to farm chemicals from early years on. Two of the three were diagnosed with mantle cell non-hodgkin lymphoma, a disease that was previously unknown amongst siblings.

This ground contamination via farm chemicals will be making "organic farming" more and more costly to the consumer and in time cause famine by creating food sources that no one wants to eat. I have no idea how long it takes for these chemicals to become harmless.

Dragonsfire said:
I buy 25lb/10kg bags of berries, I vacuum pack them right away and grind as I need them. One of the biggest problems people face I find is to get grain that not GMO or perverted in other ways. Even buckwheat makes great bread when doing it properly and that takes a couple days.
Shhhh. You gotta grow it yourself to keep it real. 2014 08 10_3931 by Ames, on Flickr

How do you guys separate the kernels and winnow the chaff?

I just rub the heads between my palms over a 5 gallons bucket and then transfer into another bucket in front of a fan.

I have no idea how long it takes for these chemicals to become harmless.

And with all of that the cancers probably won't abate...,

Too many suburbanites treat their lawns with "weed and feed". They track it into the house, and sometimes own a dog or cat that helps them in this.

LD

I have grown some Red Fife wheat. It's a heritage variety so cannot be messed with, (Unlike most other wheats)
Really a brilliant wheat, and was grown here in Canada from 1840 to about 1900. Came from Scotland originally.
It's the sort that goes 'looking' for its nutrients, and does not need modern chemical fertilizers. I only grow it in organic fashion, on land that has had no chemicals for 5 years at least.
Originally, I grew it to thatch an "Iron Age" roundhouse we were building here on the farm. (!)
But time has kept me from completing that project...

It's a lovely nutty tasting wheat, and in growing, it competes well with weeds, in fact, it'll out-yield any modern wheat on dirty land. (Organic's always a bit dirty!)
Usually grow it on ploughed out hayland or summer fallow.
Yielded about 50 bushels an acre, at 60 lbs /bushel.
Still have most of it, as I was trying to get a mobile seed cleaner in to clean it for me. I have put small amounts through a winnowing machine/fanning mill, and it removes most of the whitecaps and such, but there is a Tiny amount of ergot in it. Not much, and Very safe to eat,...probably eat ten times as much in bought bread!
RE Ergot, 1 percent is safe to eat, that's about I in 100 grains. This wheat has about 7 grains of ergot in a pound, so about seven in seven thousand.
Not trying to sell it to you, but have a look for this type. I got my seed from a bloke down near the US border. Expensive, as it all came from the gene bank.
Have a recipe for "No Kneed " bread using this type of flour . Only a small amount of flour should be ground at one time, and kept in fridge, as it still has the wheat germ in it, so will go rancid if kept for months, or less if not in fridge.

All the best,
Richard.

Excellent point about animals tracking the chemical contaminants into the house. Some years ago one of my longtime customers at the barber shop that had farmed in the county since he was a small boy helping his father told me he had put down some herbicide around the building in the farmyard and later in the day stopped one of his dogs from chewing on some grass that he had sprayed ... 2 hours later the dog died. As he said, "maybe the dog was going to die anyway." He stopped using the stuff around the yard.

Paraquat (spelling maybe) sold as Gramoxone, is a total herbicide and pretty deadly to anything.
Even pulling the dead grass out when totally dry can produce "acute paraquat poisoning".

Not nice.
And, they used to spray tatie tops off with it, before harvesting the spuds!

Some of you know I do some proofreading for Distributed Proofreaders which then forwards the digitized books to The Gutenberg Project which then provides a FREE downloadable source for these books. Many are old texts that the copyright has expired and other books that are in the public domain. A couple of books that I worked on a while ago that bakers & brewers may find interesting can be found at the links below.

1) The History of Bread From Pre-historic To Modern Times by John Ashton http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53219

2) The Story of a Loaf of Bread by Thomas Barlow Wood http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52824

Last edited by a moderator:
Just glancing at the first book I noticed the use of the word "corn" referring to a kernel of wheat and not maize.

Good book. :thumbsup:

Until your posting I had never heard of Paraquat. The CDC says it is some wicked stuff though.

https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/paraquat/basics/facts.asp

I would be curious to find out just how much chemical contamination there is not only in our soils, but water supply and within our food supply. I have a very bad feeling about this.

I have always been a curious sort and changes in spelling and in the meaning of words over time started when I inherited my great grandmother's dictionary. My inherited 1826 Daniel Webster Dictionary says Dan Quayle did indeed spell potatoe correctly even though the spellchecker on this website does not agree. Dan's preferred spelling is also the way I was taught to spell potatoe in the late 1950's & 1960's.

I can remember my grandfather referring to a single grain of oats as a kernel when I was much younger. He was born in 1893 and it may have been a regularly used word in that context in his years walking the orb. I don't think I have heard it used in that context since he passed away in 1961.

Just typing Kernel into the google search brings the following to the screen:
ker·nel
[ˈkərnl]
NOUN
a softer, usually edible part of a nut, seed, or fruit stone contained within its hard shell.
synonyms: seed · grain · core · nut
the seed and hard husk of a cereal, especially wheat.
synonyms: seed · grain · core · nut
the central or most important part of something:
"this is the kernel of the argument"
synonyms: essence · core · heart · essentials · quintessence · fundamentals · basics · nub · gist · substance · nitty-gritty · nucleus · germ · grain · nugget
the most basic level or core of an operating system of a computer, responsible for resource allocation, file management, and security.
linguistics
denoting a basic unmarked linguistic string.

The only constant in life is change.

Hairy Clipper said:
Until your posting I had never heard of Paraquat. The CDC says it is some wicked stuff though.

https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/paraquat/basics/facts.asp

I would be curious to find out just how much chemical contamination there is not only in our soils, but water supply and within our food supply. I have a very bad feeling about this.
Our .gov loved spraying it on Marijuana crops in the late 70's and early eighty's to the point they warned folks of the spraying and it's toxicity to users. Our .gov was never friendly to citizens then, only to control of them

For what it's worth H-C;

Back in the UK, Corn, is any grain, wheat, oats and barley. Indian corn, is maize. :)
Took me along time to say grain -fields. they were always corn fields but here that causes confusion!
A single grain of the above is still a kernel.
Barley had /has awnes, not beards,.....Not horns, awnes, but they both sound pretty near the same if you come from Yorkshire!!

RJDH said:
For what it's worth H-C;

Back in the UK, Corn, is any grain, wheat, oats and barley. Indian corn, is maize. :)
Took me along time to say grain -fields. they were always corn fields but here that causes confusion!
A single grain of the above is still a kernel.
Barley had /has awnes, not beards,.....Not horns, awnes, but they both sound pretty near the same if you come from Yorkshire!!

That is the point that I was trying to make...That, in "English" corn doesn't mean the same as it does in America..

So when you see references to the Egyptians stacking corn, They are not talking about Maize.

It would appear as though I went through a period of confusion when I was typing that response earlier today. Just to be safe I make this disclaimer: That will likely happen again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back