• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the recipe for Moose Milk/Juice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the link to my version of Moose Juice.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/203261/

Moose Milk uses NAPA water soluable cutting oil instead of castor oil and different ratios.

2 oz. Napa water soluble cutting oil (part number 765-1526 for 1 pint)
2 oz. Murphy's oil soap
1 quart water
(in cold weather some folks swap rubbing alcohol for the water)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stumpkiller said:
Here's the link to my version of Moose Juice.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/203261/

Moose Milk uses NAPA water soluable cutting oil instead of castor oil and different ratios.

2 oz. Napa water soluble cutting oil (part number 765-1526 for 1 pint)
2 oz. Murphy's oil soap
1 quart water
(in cold weather some folks swap rubbing alcohol for the water)

In cold weather,say 50, or gosh !, 40 degrees, folks in california swap rubbing alcohol with drinkin alcohol, drink that part and wait till it gets warmer ! :rotf: :rotf:

nilo52

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we would crash this web site if all the different forumlas for Moose Milk were published. Pick one you like and go with it. Or, invent a new one of yer own and publish it. BTW, I'm not a fan of alcohol in bp cleaning solutions. Just don't see the point and it evaporates easily. If it is so cold outside my stuff is freezing, I'll go inside. :wink:

I have 2 recipes I picked up from different places. This is a cut and paste fom a word doc that I save this info in...

A general purpose black powder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using

Castor Oil 4 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry between on an old window screen. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is. I put it in an old OFF bug juice bottle and just spritz a patch and then load like that.

Be sure when making the Moose milk to mix the alcohol and castor oil together first. Then add the witch hazel. Add all of this to the water and shake. Finally after that mixture is all together add the Murphy’s oil soap.

HERE IS ANOTHER GOOD PATCH LUBE

#1 NAPA Moose Milk
4 ounces NAPA Auto Parts #765-1526 Soluble Cutting & Grinding Oil
1 ounce Murphy's Oil Soap
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

Any advantages or disadvantages between the three different recipes? Is there a cost difference? Napa was closed by the time that I made it by today (seemed easiest), is their oil pricey? Trying to pinch pennies but still have a good product.

Thanks again...BEWW

This is not a slam or otherwise designed to stir the pot,

but each of the formulas described here require the user to agitate the lube each and every time before you can use the product, they seperate.

I prefer to not have to worry about it and use the "Original Moose Milk" as it does not seperate, and stays consistent.

It is made up of 95% water and some other ingredients that work well once mixed up.

This is my version of the Moose Milk, this was mixed up sometime around December and has yet to seperate.

IMG_2874.jpg

I've been using the Napa water soluble cutting oil mixed 10:1 - water/oil - for my shooting patches.

I spritz a little windex on a cleaning patch and swab after every shot.

original Moose Milk

Curious :confused: which of the more than 99,000 Moose Milk recipies is the "original" one?

I learned a new one yesterday and might try it. Ballistol/Murphy's Oil Soap and water.

BTW, I have some patching made up with the NAPA water soluble oil stuff. Turned real mouldy. Really raunchy mouldy. :barf:

Rifleman1776 said:
original Moose Milk

Curious :confused: which of the more than 99,000 Moose Milk recipies is the "original" one?

I learned a new one yesterday and might try it. Ballistol/Murphy's Oil Soap and water.

BTW, I have some patching made up with the NAPA water soluble oil stuff. Turned real mouldy. Really raunchy mouldy. :barf:

Really !?!

I would bet that there are less than a total of 20 distinct versions out there, this is the milk version, not the various snots or other thicker concoctions.

The version that I speak of is the one that is available commercially, back in the late 70's or early 80's Muzzleblast ran a test on all of the lubes at that time, this particular lube was second in the Nation.

Goes by the commercial name of Ol' Thunder, Blue Thunder, Three Rivers, etc.

ApprenticeBuilder said:
Oh,

And I don't need to swab, nor do I want to.

Perhaps it's the missing Murphys oil soap that is making me feel like I need to swab so often?

I'll try mixing a bit of that into the next batch. I only mix up 3 or 4 oz at a time.

The range is 47 miles from my house. When I make that drive, I shoot all day. Usually between 40-60 shots. Gotta swab it at least a little bit, but I might be overdoing it with swabbing after every shot? Nipple channel gets clogged up somewhere between 35-40 shots. I clean it by removing the nipple and picking the crud out. Then keep on shooting. Have never shot enough in one day to clog the nipple channel twice.

ApprenticeBuilder said:
The version that I speak of is the one that is available commercially, back in the late 70's or early 80's Muzzleblast ran a test on all of the lubes at that time, this particular lube was second in the Nation.

Goes by the commercial name of Ol' Thunder, Blue Thunder, Three Rivers, etc.

You have the recipe for Ole' Thunder?!?!

Please share, I used to buy that stuff, but cant find it locally, that's why I was going to make my own. If I had the recipe for that stuff I'd make it and use it. Best cleaning solution Ive ever used, never tried it as a patch lube..

ChrisHarris said:
ApprenticeBuilder said:
Oh,

And I don't need to swab, nor do I want to.

Perhaps it's the missing Murphys oil soap that is making me feel like I need to swab so often?

I'll try mixing a bit of that into the next batch. I only mix up 3 or 4 oz at a time.

The range is 47 miles from my house. When I make that drive, I shoot all day. Usually between 40-60 shots. Gotta swab it at least a little bit, but I might be overdoing it with swabbing after every shot? Nipple channel gets clogged up somewhere between 35-40 shots. I clean it by removing the nipple and picking the crud out. Then keep on shooting. Have never shot enough in one day to clog the nipple channel twice.

I'm sure that location and lube plays into this equation, but with the lube I use and the state that I shoot in I do go all day and never swab, ever.

Latest posts

Back