• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's so special about peanut oil as a lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These Trans Fatty acids are labeled as hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Avoid all of them!

actually they are one step from being hydrogen.
Take a tub of fake butter made of this manure and set it out side. the flys won't even land on it nor will mold even grow on it. In Other words it is Plastic!

Woody

Well the last post on this peanut oil thread was over 1-1/2 years ago.

Anyone been messing around with peanut oil patch lube? I just lubed some patches this morning with it - put it on full strength for some range work on Thursday or Friday. :nono:

I must have missed this posting completly. Its of interest because farmers grow the stuff everywhere here in the UK. I think they plough it back into the land as a fertiliser. Got a field of it next door to us - didnt realise it was poisonous to animals.

That is the first that I heard about canola or rapeseed being bad for you. I will try to stop buying it or products with it in their ingredients. Thanks for the info. But back to the patchlube topic, I'll have to do some experiments with several recipes to see which works best for this area. Everyone has valid comments, and situations may vary, so I guess a little experimenting will bring the best answers for me. Thanks for all the input. :hmm:

Be careful if you do because it could attract them to you :rotf: Don't need a lovesick mink trying to drag off your rifle. :haha:

I'm just a lurker trying to learn some basics about muzzleloaders but saw this post and felt the 'other' side should be posted. Hope it is OK to post this link. Canola is as safe as most other oils. Looks like it would be a good lube. canola on snopes
Tim

One of the reasons for using peanut and/or olive is that they are mono-saturated fats and don't go rancid as fast or as easy in warm waether as many others will do......

Snuffy said:
Well the last post on this peanut oil thread was over 1-1/2 years ago.

Anyone been messing around with peanut oil patch lube? I just lubed some patches this morning with it - put it on full strength for some range work on Thursday or Friday. :nono:

Don't mind me quoting myself! I've done stranger things in my day. :haha: Speaking of strange, I noted above that I made-up some peanut oil patches for Thursdays range visit (if it doesn't rain). I then rounded-up a bunch of stuff from the wife's pantry and my Possibles box yesterday and placed it on my kitchen counter. That's when I decided to play Dr. Muzzlestein with it, I made up a patch lube yesterday consisting of....

3/4 shot glass of bore butter
3/4 shot glass of Cabelas white lube
3/4 shot glass of Crisco
1/2 shot glass of peanut oil
1/2 shot glass of olive oil.

Threw it all in a bowl -- nuked it until it looked as thin as water -- stirred it for a minute - then poured it in two round shoe polish metal containers. Stuck them in the fridge for four hours and left it out back on the counter overnite.

This morning, I opened the lid up to find it somewhat yellowish in color - but not deep yellow like bore butter. I figured the oils in there would rise to the top - but they didn't. So far it shows a laid-back waxy consistency where a tiny bit of fingertip pressure gets me some to spread on patches easily. I think the waxy concentration is from the white Cabelas lube. That stuff is pretty waxy and stiff.

So now I've two different ones to try on Thursday.

I think a lot of the preference for peanut oil might have to do with the way it seasons metal. On my heavy steel wok and cast iron cookware, it leaves a better seasoning than any other oil I've tried. Very even and slicker than teflon. I would assume the same would happen in a bore. Just guessin' here.

rubincam said:
does peanut oil have salt in it ???

Oh My Gosh!

My uncleaned, Peanut oil-lubed Renegade from yesterday's range visit may now exhibit hypertension??? :grin:

I heard a 1/16th ounce of Ballistol cures that . :)

Peanut oil has a higher flash point that other veggie oils. That's why it's the first thing that goes into the Wok. :winking:

My Peanut Oil lubed patches are starting to show dark areas after three days in an Altoids tin. I may abandon the Olive & Peanut Oil patches if these patches degrade so soon. If they won't keep for a week, then I guess months is really out of the equation. I will then resort to Plan C.... trying something else like Hoppes Black Powder Solvent/Lube or Lehigh Valley.

Back