• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's so special about peanut oil as a lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexiKan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A couple of fellow club members started using peanut oil as a lube and did so because a good shooter in Missouri uses it. Huh???! :: I asked why is it considered superior and they replied it was the lube of choice by many shooters at Friendship. Now, I have been in this hobby since 1973 and this was news to me. I'll admit, I haven't been to Friendship, but I have not found nor heard of peanut oil being the preferred lube by other shooters. I must be missing something by living here on the prairie. I am skeptical because I have learned having the same equipment, products and procedures doesn't mean I will shoot just like that Missourian! Do my friends shoot any better than before? Not that I can tell, but they swear by that peanut oil! Not sure if they're nuts or not..... Am seeking your insight.

TexiKan

Not sure if they're nuts or not..... [/quote
I would say yep, P-Nuts. :crackup: Seriously though, i guess peanut oil would work as well as any other veg. oil as a lube. If your shooting don't improve after trying it, you can fry up some rabbit or squirrel with the rest of it. ::

I've been usin peanut oil for years, never knew of anyone else using it.One day I needed to mix up some patch lube for huntin the next morning (beeswax and olive oil) but the boss had used it all but maybe a tbs :cry: I was goin to melt some crisco to get me by but I found some peanut oil in the cabnet. It felt as slick or even slicker than olive oil (rubbin it between my fingers test) and I knew it had a highr flash point, so I gave it a try. Been usin it ever since, even for target pratice instead of spit patch. 1 oz beeswax, 3oz peanut oil & 1 tsp pro-long engine treatment. dip patch material in melted mixure and squeege out as much as possible on a piece glass. Works for me, and it wont freeze :results:

It works at higher temperatures than other vegtable oils, that's why it a favorite for use in woks. :peace:

Mr. Sniper68,
If you will permit me to ask, at what temperatures (cold) have you used your patch mixture with success? Am always looking for something "natural" that will work at -30 to -40F degrees below zero. Your advice is appreciated.
Best Wishes

Dear God! At 30 or 40 below zero?!! I wouldn't be worrying about the patch lube freezing up!!

Smokeydays

Go to sunflower seed oil WindWalker. That't what the Russians use on their firearms for winter use. Their guns worked when the German's froze up.

Lattitude's about the same so it should work for you!

the only thing i know about peanut oil is it
holds up to heat very well. only thing i use for deep frying
snake-eyes :peace: :thumbsup: :)

Another post discusses the issue of double ball loads. Never thought about using woks. :haha:

Mr. Ghost,
Didn't think of Sun Flower Seed oil or even know it had been used for such purposes. Thanks a million for sharing your insight. Will give it a try.
Best Wishes.

For those of you who have absolutely nothing else to do, :snore: you may want to read a little about "The skinny on fats".

http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/bmskinnyonfat.htm

Oils for lube are said to be the best when they have a "High" smoke point. The very highest "smoke point" would appear to be the oil from Avocado with Peanut Oil running a close second.

Now, what does all this mean? I don't have a clue! I do know several oils with a low smoke point still work pretty good in a lube.

The reason your friends swear by it may be the fact that are getting a lot for their dollar, when compared to avocado oil. Olive Oil has always been a favorite and it has a VERY low smoke point.

Russ

Oils for lube are said to be the best when they have a "High" smoke point. The very highest "smoke point" would appear to be the oil from Avocado with Peanut Oil running a close second.

Now, what does all this mean? I don't have a clue!
Russ

Yes, I was beginning to think the same thing! I don't believe the high smoke point or its particular ability to tolerate extreme hot and cold are the main reasons for its use. (Those using it told me it was primarily used at Friendship and that event takes place in June, if I recall correctly, so extreme conditions are not likely.) I guess I am trying to ascertain the factors as to WHY peanut oil would be considered SUPERIOR to other lubes, price excluded. I don't think price is a major factor in their particular rationale. If they keep telling me it is "better", I would like to have some insight as to WHY it is better than the lube I use other than "it works for me." Since they can't give any other specifics, then there must be another reason for the peanut oil users to favor it. Of course, I am still not convinced it has the universal aclaim my friends profess....... :rolleyes:

And if the masses here, say it so, I will certainly adjust my thinking. Who knows........maybe it will inspire Planters to get into making muzzleloading lube! :haha:

TexiKan

"A man cannot build a reputation on what he is GOING to do!"

I've only used peanut oil mix in the low to middle teens, as far as how it works in -30 to -40 temps your're on your own. I've been outdoors only a couple of times in those temps. and I can tell you, loading prb's was not on my mind :no: In responce to your question I put some olive and peanut oil in the freezer last night at 10 below. the olive oil was hard and the peanut oil was about as thick as hand cream, my lube mix was about as thick as shoe polish. You could probably go to 4 or 5 to one mix or more and you might be OK. I quess also, because of the higher flash point I never get any patch burn that I used to get from time to time with other patch lubes :m2c:

Just curious Wind Walker, but what is considered a good lube in the extremes you guys deal with?
I would suspect Dutch Scholtz's dry lubes, or some variation, would be popular. Just a WAG on my part, but it be would interesting to hear what you do.

I think there would also be a strong incentive to stay home .

Russ

Peanut oil and grape seed oil are thinner and slippier than orther vegatable oils and they tend not to burn coming out of the barrel. It is also easier to remove excess from patches and won't stiffen during the winter. ::

Mr. RussB,
Regret being so late in answering. Our flintlock Trade Rifle has a 1 in 48" twist and doesn't shoot PRB worth a darn, with what we have tried so far. Consequently, we shoot soft REALs with Natural Lube 1000. Very easy to handle in those temperatures with a thin glove/mitten liner. Sure don't have to worry about smearing the lube around and losing it from the groves.
Will give the sunflower seed oil a try and see if it helps the PRB accuracy. We have just acquired a smooth bore barrel that fits the stock and will give it a try also, with that combo.
Best Wishes

Mr. RussB,
Regret being so late in answering. Our flintlock Trade Rifle has a 1 in 48" twist and doesn't shoot PRB worth a darn, with what we have tried so far. Consequently, we shoot soft REALs with Natural Lube 1000. Very easy to handle in those temperatures with a thin glove/mitten liner. Sure don't have to worry about smearing the lube around and losing it from the groves.
Will give the sunflower seed oil a try and see if it helps the PRB accuracy. We have just acquired a smooth bore barrel that fits the stock and will give it a try also, with that combo.
Best Wishes

Mr.RussB???? :: :master: :master: I am honored!

WindWalker, A lot of shooters swear by the REAL, and when you say they were cast from "Soft Lead", that tells me you have a handle on what "normally" works best.
Shortly after this thread started, I was at a Safeway Grocery store and was checking out the many oils that are available. I couldn't pronounce half the names, and my wife wasn't much help when I asked her "what purpose" some of them served...But there must have been no fewer than twenty or thirty different oils on the shelves. I was amazed!

One oil I hear a lot about, but I don't think I've ever seen it, is called Safflower(?sp)oil....I think that's what it's called. Anyway, I got a bud up in Fairbanks, AK (Elison AFB) that is always talking about all the wonderful properities of this stuff....If it is so popular around that area, and you can find some, you may want to check it out.

Russ

Back