• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What was your most satisfying BP harvest?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC03379.jpg

worked on this fella for 3 week to get the right shot...was worth the wait!

Scan_Pic0001-6.jpg

My first bp bull. We had hunted in the snow for years, using the snow to track, and to see the elk. Made lots of long shots, killed lots of elk, but I wanted it to be harder(if you CAN make elk hunting harder).
Bought an elk bugle, some camo, got laughed at by my dad and uncles, and bugled this big boy in to about 60(?) yards. He was angling toward me, I shot him right behind the shoulder, he whirled and I shot him in the same place on the other side. Then he ran downhill and away from the truck. Two guys came to the sound of my shooting and helped me drag him down about 1/2 mile to a place I could drive my truck.
.54 cal Cabela's Hawken, 110 grs. poopodex, Hornady Great Plains bullet.
Then the next year, family members became ml hunters.

I had scouted a local management area about 25 years ago, found a good spot overlooking a creek bottom and built a log blind to hunt out of. The M/L hunts on the mgt area back then was the only time you could kill a doe as it was bucks only in Bama at that time. People flocked to these two day hunts in droves.

On the morning of the hunt I was in my blind well before daylight when the flashlights started appearing behind me. I waved them off and most left or sat where they were, except for one guy.

He walked right by me with a Sh^&% eating grin, and sat in a freshly logged tree top about 50yds below me in the creek bottom. Every now and then he would look up the hill and wave and smile at me, what a horses behind!

About 7:30 I hard splashing in the creek and out walks the biggest 8 point I have ever seen in the woods, headed straight for the guy in the tree top.

The guy in the treetop couldn't see the deer because the leaves were still on the top. It was a longer shot than I normally would have taken but I wasn't going to let Mr Bozo get a shot at that deer.

I put the sight on the deer's shoulder when he was about 25 yds from the tree top, pulled the trigger and the TC roared. The buck dropped in his tracks.

I hurried down to the deer and met Mr Bozo coming around the treetop. He took a look at the deer, muttered a few obscenities and stomped off. Killing a deer never felt so good!

It is my son's first flinter squirrel taken with a .62 smoothy. He was 10 years old at the time. We were on a 3 day woods run. Prior to this trip, he had tried to take several with a roundball, but missed each attempt. On this day, I gave him some shot to load up with and everything worked out well. I was/am sure proud of this boy.

PotlatchEncampment014.jpg

My first in 1986 would have to be my most satisfying. My dad had wounded a buck, we were tracking it across an orchard. We got to the woods on the other side of the orchard and dad followed the tracks into the woods. Another guy and I were walking parallel to the woods through chest high weeds when dad said "there it goes" A buck jumped out of the tree line 75 yards away making big leaping bounds, I shot my .50 Renegade with a PBR and the guy next to me said "NICE SHOT!" I caught him in the neck and he folded in air(I couldn't see it because of the cloud of smoke). Turned out not to be my dad's buck,but a different buck, a 7 point. That pretty well hooked me on ML hunting since then, some years traditional some years not so traditional.

Greg, I'm just into my first build but am already dreaming about my second gun. I love to turkey hunt and want to build a smooth bore. That 16 you have in the picture, could you tell me a little more about it? What type? Kit? Etc. It looks very nice!
Thanks

The most satisfying flintlock kill for me so far was an 8 point whitetail i got...in my dreams. I'm still waiting for my flintlock to arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodness, I've been so blessed with my smokepoles, I do not know which one sticks out as my most satisfying... Every year gets better and better !! I think this year topped them all, I took A great whitetail and a nice Bull 5 days apart and less than 10 miles apart. and both in my "old timey" duds !!!!

My boys are small but I can't wait to be with them when they make their first!!

One Hunt I will cherrish forever took place This fall, I was with my Dad for the first time when he harvested a Big old Forky Muley, not with a ML but still a hunt I will never forget. We have hunted together many times but he had always been by himself when he killed. Drawing Rifle Tags for deer are tough and he had not drawn a tag in several years. I always thought my dad would never get old but unfortunatly age is the one thing we all have to deal with. Our outings away from the truck got shorter and shorter.. I could see he was getting tired so we moved down to flatter country to do our walking. On the coldest day of the hunt we were able to sneek within 20 paces of a mature Muley and my dad shot him where he lay. Not the biggest deer he ever shot but the fact that we were together made it a hunt we will both remember for ever. Especialy since it will probably be his last..

I plan to make a couple of knives out of the antlers. One for me and one for my Brother who is lefthanded.

Thank you all for sharing such great stories !!!

Merry Christmas

this was mine from a few years ago...
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/502601/

Satisfying, because it was my wierdest. I went out for squirrels this day and came back with this monster.

SnappingTurtle.jpg

I shot a large fungus off a stump that looked like Toby Bridges.

In the fall of 1979 I called in and killed a gobbler with a wing bone call that I had made from the previous Thanksgiving...

I had hunted with my .45 caliber Bob Watts flintlock for 2 years and had taken a few deer and squirrels with her...I had never killed a wild turkey, it's still my most trilling hunt of all time...

Skychief, My first turkey. I tried for years with my homemade archery equipment, but it took a flintlock to seal the deal.
DSCN0067.jpg

While every hunt is a special memory and many without kills are more memorable than many of those with, I'd have to say this year's buck was the most satisfying because it was a multi-year effort for a particular animal.

I first spotted this particular buck at what I estimated was his 3 1/2 year mark. It was bitterly cold (single digits and wind for those of you down south :wink: ) and snowy during Minnesota's late muzzleloader season. As is common during that hunt, deer are so spooked after months of being chased, they simply don't come out until near dark and this guy was no exception. I watched him work up the picked field, but alas, ran out of light. I didn't see him again that season.

The next year I never saw him in person, but since my area is literally beaten to death by many hunters, I heard stories. The farm I had seen him on was now leased and I did not have access (though it butts up to my small acreage). Then in December 2009, the day after gun seasons closed, he showed up on a trail camera:

PICT0231A.jpg

At least I knew he was around and unless a late season bowhunter got him, he was safe for another year.

During 2010 several guys saw him during summer on the leased farm. But as is the case with big bucks, he disappeared when bow season opened. Fortunately for me, he had moved into a thicket on my small property to escape the gun pressure and I spotted him in there. Two days later I set up along the edge and did a little "doe talk." Only a 1/2 hour into daylight, here he came nose to the ground searching for the doe he heard. The area was so brushy it was hard to find the shot, but at 60 yards he passed through a very small opening and my 54 cal Hawken with PRB did the job. He only ran 30 yards. A quick, clean kill.

scan15small.jpg

To have worked toward getting this particular animal over time, and to have accomplished it with a smokepole made this hunt special indeed. To me, every animal's life is a gift from the Maker and special, but this one holds particular meaning.

Back