• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What happens When You Accidentally Shoot a Ramrod out of your gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been a lot of posting on this thread and another "conversation" somewhere else. I responded that I haven't shot a ramrod ever before and I've been muzzleloading for over 55 years.

Well, I should never have read any of the posts about it and now I have to "fess up". I think I launched mine last week, though I can't prove it. I generally load with the wood underbarrel ram rod at the range and of course I did so when hunting. I will now lay out the evidence I DO have and let everyone to decide YEA or NAY because I can't decide, myself.

I was shooting my .45 flintlock and I was alone at the range and I prefer this with no witnesses. I was loading & shooting, loading and shooting but when I started to load the next shot I could find no ramrod anywhere. That was the most critical evidence I could find, and I searched the entire empty firing shelter but found nothing. I then started walking downrange sweeping the ground with my eyes and thought if I did launch it I should be able to find it. I moved slowly down and back with with careful attention to anything remotely "stick like". Well nothing to do so I packed up and headed home. Fortunately I had a replacement rod so the rifle is complete once more. I've "dry balled" more times than I can count but never this!

Did I actually launch it???

There's been a lot of posting on this thread and another "conversation" somewhere else. I responded that I haven't shot a ramrod ever before and I've been muzzleloading for over 55 years.

Well, I should never have read any of the posts about it and now I have to "fess up". I think I launched mine last week, though I can't prove it. I generally load with the wood underbarrel ram rod at the range and of course I did so when hunting. I will now lay out the evidence I DO have and let everyone to decide YEA or NAY because I can't decide, myself.

I was shooting my .45 flintlock and I was alone at the range and I prefer this with no witnesses. I was loading & shooting, loading and shooting but when I started to load the next shot I could find no ramrod anywhere. That was the most critical evidence I could find, and I searched the entire empty firing shelter but found nothing. I then started walking downrange sweeping the ground with my eyes and thought if I did launch it I should be able to find it. I moved slowly down and back with with careful attention to anything remotely "stick like". Well nothing to do so I packed up and headed home. Fortunately I had a replacement rod so the rifle is complete once more. I've "dry balled" more times than I can count but never this!

My vote is "Launched it!"

If you didn't feel some extra kick I'd say no. I've done it and it kicked hard!

Reactions: smo
I think it's time.

To introduce SPAM to muzzleloading.

What better way to shoot little yellow piggy than with SPAM. Slow motion video with SPAM splatter.

SPAM projectiles. SPAM wadding. SPAM overshot and over powder wads.

And there's no issue with lubrication. SPAM gots plenty.

Last edited:
I have done it several times. This is a fact of which I am not proud, but it is, nevertheless, a fact. I have only once recovered the rod. It was broken but still in one piece. I learned two quite surprising things from the event. 1, I found the rod about ten yards behind the 40 yard target at which I was shooting,
2, There were smears of lead on the wooden part of the rod just ahead of the fitting and ball seating jag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back