• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with a hair on moose hide?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it seems that bugs of some kind like to eat the hair. If you keep it damp. I had a hunk of raw moose hide that was kept in my basement that I used for fly tying. 1 6' x 6" piece will last a lifetime. I kept it in a plastic bag. I hadn't looked at it in a while and when I checked it all the hair had fallen out and these little bugs were in it. I think it was moth larvae that got it.

Rug or wall hanger perhaps. I use bison hides as rugs in my cabin. I don't know if moose hide is durable enough for a rug but it seems a waste to cut up a full moose hide for items that can be made just as well from smaller critters.

Depending on the size and condition you should be able to get a nice Vest out of a full moose hide, a coat (with sleeves) probably not as the fur of moose would not work well for sleeves, unless maybe add cloth or other hide as gussets under the arms, but again the elbow areas probably wont wear well.
The idea of a Cape for a hunting frock would be a good candidate; make it a button on - one button at the back of the neck and one on front of each shoulder, use large buttons 1 inch or larger (I am hoping to a coyote or two before spring for a cape).

You should (depending on the hide size) have enough scrap left for bag flap, maybe front panel and flap.
And a few small scraps for an Inlay on a leather Knife Sheath.

I used a 21×1 inch mule deer scrap for a Winter Hat Band on my 'Bridger' felt hat (from Lil' Grizz), my wife says it looks like I have a "critter nesting on my head" but I like it, add some weight for cold windy days (I take it off in summer, too hot in the high desert).

Other left over scraps can be used for handle wrappings or decorative patches. I used a small bundle of moose 'beard' hair to make a Pan Brush, almost as stiff as horse tail.

Maybe even a scrap to make a Ball Bag; sew a simple tube and use some other leather for the bottom (stand up type bag).

I would not even consider de-hairing that hide. It is much more valuable as it is. Moscow Hide & Fur had a hair-on moose hide for sale a year or so ago, and I think they priced it at around $800. Big, fuzzy hides from large wild animals are not cheap. I understand that much of Europe is being overrun by wild boar, so raw skins should be plentiful, but Jelling Dragon has large tanned hair-on boar hides that still cost around $200. Moose are not so plentiful.

I was thinking of ordering one of those boar hides, but I'm sure if I did, the pelt and I would both be banished to the tool shed.

How long is the hair on that moose hide? I have never handled a hair-on moose hide, but if it was from an animal killed in the wintertime, I would guess the hair is both long and thick. It might look kind of funny on smaller projects unless the fur was shorn close.

I know cold-weather moccasins were often made of hide with the hair on. I saw a pair of side-seam moccasins once that were made of buffalo hide with the hair turned in. They looked really warm. You would need to work up an oversized pattern for moccasins, though. My brother made some sheepskin (shearling) moccasins for his girlfriend many years ago, but cut the pattern to a size that would have fit her shapely foot perfectly, if it had been bare leather. With the fur inside, she couldn't even get her feet halfway in.

In my mind's eye, I'm seeing an image of Robert Redford as Jeremiah Johnson, wearing a set of enormous, furry half-leggings or botas. I could swear such an image exists. A set of those made from moose hide might be a possible project.

Anyway, if that moose hide were mine, I believe I would leave it whole and spread it over the bed on cold nights. If the lady of the house were to object, I expect I would move it into the man cave and lay it over the chair where I sit at my desk. I have a sheepskin there now, and it makes my industrial-grade chair a lot more comfortable than the chair would be without it. If you attend rendezvous or living history events, bring it along and you'll be the envy of the camp. At the very least, you should be able to trade it for an equal amount of hairless leather.

By all means, let us know what you end up doing with it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Just an idea... :)
alice_the_goon_2.jpg

...agree with throwing on the bed for cold nights.

Latest posts

Back