• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What say you, original or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of good feedback on this one!! More pics would be great!! Maybe my brother in law will see it again….
The bayonet selection is very cool as well!! The second to the left stood out to me as well. Tried to find out what it was but no luck!

Good morning all,
My brother-in-law is Army airborne. He was just stationed in Poland. Received this picture from him this morning. Looks be a neat little blunderbuss!! Are we looking at a gun that was originally put together from miscellaneous parts? The barrel band looks like something added later that came off of a Civil War Springfield or Enfield.
Is original. The band was added later because the forend of the stock broke off short. You can see where the pin would pass through the stock. Probably Balkan origin. Not worth a lot but nice to hang on a wall and perhaps shoot once in a while, with a light load after checking it for issues.

Looks like a Balkan/Turkish "knee" Blunderbuss to me...

This guy has one
Screenshot 2023-08-18 235444.png

This guy has one
Les_costumes_populaires_de_la_Turquie_en_1873_-_Partie_3_-_Planche_032 aa.jpg

the guy in the middle has one
dag3.jpg

Here are some similar ones

dag.jpg
dag1.jpg

106841-20211017-154633.jpg
26185-New-Gun.JPG

Last edited:
Good morning all,
My brother-in-law is Army airborne. He was just stationed in Poland. Received this picture from him this morning. Looks be a neat little blunderbuss!! Are we looking at a gun that was originally put together from miscellaneous parts? The barrel band looks like something added later that came off of a Civil War Springfield or Enfield.

So the barrel looks like some blunderbuss barrels offered about ten years ago from one of the barrel makers as a closeout. Too bad about the engraving as depending on the depth, the barrel may have been compromised. You can see on the exposed forward portion of the barrel, that the engraving only covers the top half, indicating along with the exposed barrel lug, that the barrel is from a different gun.

The stock is an original "tourist stock" that somebody fitted parts to...

The Lock looks right to be a good repro, but it is too long for the stock...

The barrel "band" is a reproduction of a Springfield Musket barrel band, and it's installed upside down.

IF I could look at the barrel up close, and determine if it's trashed or not, the gun might be worth for the lock and barrel about $250

LD

In the original OP's posted photo, the stock and lock started life as an original Ottoman style blunderbuss. Often referred to as a knee pistol or Dag. They were very popular in Eastern markets in the early to mid 19th century, but never caught on in the West.
The stock and lock look like they were mated together. The lock looks like the typical trade style lock used on these pistols. But from the photo, the barrel looks too narrow, and long for the stock. As if it came from a different blunderbuss. And, of course, the barrel band is wrong.
Post #19 shows one style of a complete gun. As well as the original photos posted by Cyten.

Rick

This guy has one
View attachment 246037

This guy has one
View attachment 246015

View attachment 246009

View attachment 246013View attachment 246014
26185-New-Gun.JPG

This guy has one
View attachment 246037

This guy has one
View attachment 246015

View attachment 246009

View attachment 246013View attachment 246014
26185-New-Gun.JPG
As ever your photos are priceless .The three fuzzy haired fellows one with a gun of NW frontier look to it again with a lock cover ,is the head their hair or a hat ?. Certainly styleish .
Regards Rudyard

What’s the thingamajiggy lug on the barrel? Was that to pin a full stock?
Yes, looks like an under lug for a pin. But the stock was obviously shortened for what ever reason. Some of these dag pistols used a single, wide barrel band to secure the barrel to the stock. Others used a stock pin. The barrels using a stock pin may have been from a European source.

Rick

Back