• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What parts to use???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtharney

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I think have read somewhere you can eat the heart and liver of the deer. Does anyone know if this is accurate and if so, how do you cook them?

Thanks,
Mike

Venison Heart and Liver?
You bet! :thumbsup:

Heart:
I've cooked the heart several different ways...

From simply slicing it into 2-4 sections and then salt, pepper and on to a roasting spit over a fire.

Or, stuffed with mushrooms and garlic and baked at 325 for an hour.

Or, chopped seasoned and added to a mustard fry over toasted bagles or biscuits.

Or sliced seasoned and grilled with veggies and spuds on shish-kabob's.

Or, pan fried. Or chopped seasoned and in a burrito with tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, onions and salsa.

Or, chopped and in a soup instead of beef.

Or, chopped and browned and made into a gravy over biscuits.

Or, halved, seasoned, seared and then baked at 325 for 45 minutes, remove and wrap in pastry dough and bake each halve for another 10-15 minutes. Then serve with a wellington sauce.

Or, whole hearts rubbed and seasoned and then slow smoked in a smoker with apple/cherry wood at 180 degrees for about 5 hours. Slice and serve on a kaiser roll with a jumbo hunk of fresh onion and mustard or BBQ sauce. Or serve the entire heart whole with sauce on the side.

Chopped and seasoned then canned hearts are also excellent.

Do a goole or yahoo search on : Venison Heart Recipe

Liver mostly fried, baked, roasted or pate:
Thin sliced salt pepper and Fried with onions - excellent!
Pate spread.
Roasted on a spit.

Do the same search only use Liver instead of heart.

:m2c:

I have a friend who eats the heart. He just soaks it in water, maybe some salt, and slices it down. Roll in some flour and on a frying pan with butter. He claims it tastes like a dense fillet minion. Sounds dry to me, I would crockpot it. I'll have to ask him about the liver. BTW, trim the grisel off also. :nono:Do not want to eat that! :p

Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought you could use the heart and liver.

Tahquamenon, sorry, but while reading your reply, you reminded me of Bubba from Forrest Gump. You could be the Bubba of Venison Heart. :crackup: :crackup:

Anyway, thanks again. I'll try those search engines for more recipes. Now if I can only shoot a deer.

Mike

We roasted the heart over an open fire made with flint and steel out in the woods right after the kill. Just sliced it up and used sticks to hold it over the fire. Was really good.

I've eaten the heart filled with stuffing and cooked in a pressure cooker. I also use it when I make beef & barley soup except I use the heart instead of the beef. I save the liver, but it has been many years since I have eaten liver. I end up giving it away to folks who like it. I've read someplace that Haggis made from venison parts (stomach, liver, kidneys, heart, lungs) is excellent and I am going to try to make it this year. There are no parts that are NOT edible (except maybe the hair), the question would be whether you would want to eat them.
Black Hand

Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought you could use the heart and liver.

Tahquamenon, sorry, but while reading your reply, you reminded me of Bubba from Forrest Gump. You could be the Bubba of Venison Heart. :crackup: :crackup:

Anyway, thanks again. I'll try those search engines for more recipes. Now if I can only shoot a deer.

Mike

You bet Mike... Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get.

Unless you ask...

:: :peace:

Good luck this coming fall!

I think have read somewhere you can eat the heart and liver of the deer./quote]
Mike,
Absolutely to both...As far as cooking use any
recipe you would use for beef for the same two parts.
My favorite for the liver is to slice into thin strips
(this is made easier if the liver is about half frozen)
then use in a stir-fry with onions,diced cabbage,carrots,
celery,your favorite mushrooms and about any other veggie
you have on hand,add garlic, salt & pepper to taste. Put liver in last as it will fry up very quickly. Serve with
wild or brown rice..Serve to friends that hate liver and
they will love this dish. Mrs snake does as long as she
don't see me prepare it.
Outside of the tenderloin the heart and liver
are my favorite eating parts of a deer.IMHO
snake-eyes :)

Back