• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attended the Tennessee Longhunters April shoot today.

Hosted bye the Forums own Terrier on his farm here in the Tennessee hills.

Thanks for the invite from another Forum member,Flint..👍
I’m glad I was able too locate y’all this time…🤣
I hope I wasn’t much trouble and I appreciate the hospitality & Friendship from all that was there..👍

Great shoot, great food and plenty shooting & fellowship..👍

Great seeing Robin (Wobblyshot ) & Mrs Becky again too.👍👍
Thanks again Y’all
It was a pleasure to have you there and nice to get to visit a spell.

I was honored to host the shoot mentioned above…. We had 18 folks in attendance.

Three members came in on Thursday and set up a primitive camp. It was awesome hanging around the campfire and tellin’ lies…

View attachment 310564

The shoot went off very well and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. All the targets I made survived the onslaught, despite Wooblyshot’s best attempts to kill them with a .58 cannon. 😬 A few were limping at the end, but still standing! (Good shootin’, Tex!)

View attachment 310565

View attachment 310566

View attachment 310567

View attachment 310569

And many thanks to Flint for the mentoring of putting on a shoot!
It was a great shoot! I’m glad I could throw in my 2 cents worth, but it was all your doin’s. You have raised the bar for all of us other shoot hosts. Good job!

Can probably guess what I'm up to here.

20240409_152055_copy_756x1008_copy_189x252.jpg

Well, I finished polishing the trigger guard for my current project and found some second hand kichenware / bakeware that will be used for my future casting efforts. I'm hoping to get to some sanding back of the stock later today.

filed the cock for my current build. then polished it. then touched up the marks i missed.
cleaned the rouge dusting off the drill press stand, vice, adjacent band saw, bench grinder, box welder, and hood of the wife's car.
shot the .45 SMR i built some years ago. don't know why i don't shoot it more.
need to raise the ceiling in my porch though. just don't have enough clearance for rifle upright and the rammer. sweet little rifle is 60 inches long.

I spent a couple hour of range time with .40 cal and .50 cal caplock rifles. The .40 is a halfstock made up by Ted Fellowes several years ago. The .50 is a Spingfield Hawken and has a 1:48 twist marked on the barrel. The .40 shot well favoring a .400 cast ball over the .395 Hornady. The .50 was pretty much dead on and it clustered the shots closely. I would later have trouble cleaning due to patch snagging. It loaded reasonably smoothly for 10 shots PRB over 70 grains FFG but it really snagged the cleaning patches. I put a bore shine down the barrel and it doesn't look horribly bad so I'll play with it some more.

I had a few spectators today and one would not give up. He engaged me on a number of subjects I had little interest in and when he began to push his "new self focusing binoculars" into my face while I was loading I finally explained to him, politely, that when I'm shooting muzzleloaders I needed to stay focused. He then told me there was powder in my rifle, he saw me put it in. I finished loading, pointed my uncapped rifle down range and looked through his binoculars. He was still telling me about "self focus binoculars" when I told him I'd cleaned before my last load and wanted to fire the shot. That did it, he disappeared.

Worked on a Fusil a bit .Got the trigger plate made , set and the tag screw etc all set up., drill T.H. and slabbed off a bit of wood along the barrel . Been wantin to get my " new ta me " forge fired up to anneal the buttplate I made for it and run a bunch of round ball in the process... Maybe tomorrow get that forge fired up ...gettin excited , just got find the time
Oh. Fusil ! Pics please???

Checked the bore of the Fusil de Chasse for rust. None! It’s been several months since it was fired, cleaned, given a light coat of fixing wax and put away. Gave a new light coat of fixing wax and told myself I need to take it shooting next time.

View attachment 311578
Beautiful looking Fusil. It isn’t a Fusil de Chasse; A finer built gun than the FdC. (Fusil Fin perhaps?) Fancy trigger guard as well . Enjoy that fine thing 😊

Oh. Fusil ! Pics please???
Sorry ...all that was on phone ...not 100% it was this Fusil but probably was ... Maybe its posted on the " Gunbuilding " page

Attachments

• IMG_20231016_183037.jpg
    IMG_20231016_183037.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230926_185307.jpg
    IMG_20230926_185307.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230926_185319.jpg
    IMG_20230926_185319.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230922_181623.jpg
    IMG_20230922_181623.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231016_183114~3.jpg
    IMG_20231016_183114~3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231016_183021.jpg
    IMG_20231016_183021.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I've been catching up on the posts in this thread and the pic'c of the finished projects the members are posting are great. I never realized the just how much interest there was in muzzle loading. 👍 BTY, I made a short ball starter. nothing fancy, made it with a pocketknife, a hand crank drill and a couple of empty pistol casing.

Attachments

• DSC00243.JPG
    DSC00243.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00244.JPG
    DSC00244.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Finally cut off the overhanging tabs of the wide base of my Woodsrunner front sight which I had been using to center the sight by bending those over to hold it in place. Slightly peened/hammered the barrel where the sight cut is, which I managed to make too wide when making the gun. Now the sight holds nicely in place and it looks better.

Bemoaned the fact that my computer crashed making for the installation of a new hard drive and because of that, I cannot download photos from my camera to show you all what I am talking about in the first paragraph. ☹️

Cleaned up a little since in working on the sight, I also decided to replace the flint, but could not find my screwdriver handle (also missing a small pair of pliers - somewhere). I cleaned hoping I could find those two missing items, but alas, not yet. :doh:

Instead, I found a cow horn that I lost years ago which I had hoped to one day turn into a powder horn. I found it when I put up two books on top of a bookshelf because I could not get to the shelves because my wife stuck things in front of my bookcase. The horn was out of sight on top of the bookshelf, probably where I put it a decade or so ago. Now I will be turning it into my second powder horn.

Then I stopped to write this down for posterity.

The Doc is gonna watch TV now. :cool:

Last edited:
Just reassembled my first flintlock, bought this thing at the gunshow last weekend. Never saw a flinter in these parts before except for a few TC rifles. All firearms around here were rounded up in the late 1800's except for an old squirrel rifle that was used to plant a carpetbagger.

Back