• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on powder horn #5

Attachments

• 20240408_101941.jpg
    20240408_101941.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240408_102025.jpg
    20240408_102025.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Hey Longcruise - pick up a walnut dowel at the hardware store and thread it coarse - I used one for a small priming horn and it worked great, but I think it is only threaded about 6 TPI. Might also try applying a few coats of penetrating oil like Watco to firm up the wood before threading it.
View attachment 310967
That's a great suggestion. Yours looks real good. Question; what is your thread size and where did you get the tap and die?

I went to a small local gun show this weekend. Not much there for me. I did manage to pick up a canvas bag with the stuff in the picture. Lots of stuff for those other kind of muzzle loaders. I did get a full tin of RWS #1075 caps in the deal and a capper full of caps. Also an almost full box of 490 round balls. I have no idea what the appropriately 6” long spanned and other tools are for.
IMG_3201.jpeg

Last edited:
helped my BIL uncrate his woods runner from Kibler that has sat in his living room for 4 days . then he watched 3 hours of Jim assembling, and finishing through to the scraping. BIL was exhausted from all the work Jim did so put screws back into the crate and set the rifle in the shop to acclimate. I have to keep telling myself he is impaired. or smack him, one or the other.
I did put the barrel in the channel before putting it away, just to see the fit. may need a 1/128 th relief but will have to wait for the BIL to recover from the ordeal first. all i could do to not force him to assemble it at least. mean ain't I?.
to calm myself i went out and cast 100 .40 cal conical. waiting for the maple plank to get here today via UPS. says out for delivery. pacing like an expectant father.

I bought a Beall Wood Threader in 1985 and still have it - see pics.

The Beall company closed in 2023, but you can still buy a similar kit from Lee Valey Tools: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/tools/beall-tools/beall-wood-threaders. I paid $100 including shipping in 1985 and I think it came with 4 thread sizes.

View attachment 311069View attachment 311070
That looks like a dandy tool as well as the lee Valley tool but I wouldn't get much use out of it and can't justify the expense.

But thanks for sharing. I had no idea such a specialty tool existed.

That looks like a dandy tool as well as the lee Valley tool but I wouldn't get much use out of it and can't justify the expense.

But thanks for sharing. I had no idea such a specialty tool existed.
If you know what size thread you tapped in the plug I will look and see if I have a piece of threaded dowel that size laying around that I will be glad to send to you.

If you know what size thread you tapped in the plug I will look and see if I have a piece of threaded dowel that size laying around that I will be glad to send to you.
Thanks so much for the generous offer 😀 however, I've ordered a threaded plug and insert from Track so I'll use it.

Mrs Maniac & I worked the Chocolate Festival in ol' Washington ( Kentucky ) last Saturday.
I spent the day walking streets allowing kids to pet my skunk ( Pepe Le Pew ) and hold a flintlock rifle for pictures.
Also, spent part of the day in a 1787 log cabin talking to visitors about frontier life and the history of the cabin's builder.
Its not everyday an ol' frontier geezer gets a pic beside a real southern belle and Miss Kentucky 2024...!!

434995045_831203769041036_398127992419118016_n.jpg

Back