• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using a dowel wrapped with sand paper to polish out the bore when I found the hump. After thinking more about it I’ll just leave it be. If I remove any metal that area under the maker’s marks might get too thin. Thanks.

I won a £130 cape rifle at holts auction rusty and dented barrels I made a mandrel up and kept pushing it Into the dents whiled taping around the dent, and gradually they all came out , in essence the dent resting on the mandrel and you hammer the barrel down to the mandrel not that difficult I learnt that back in 1966 Not quite an old fart yet just take it gently and all will be well

Attachments

• 29BC5A40-CB7C-465F-96D2-B9FD9AFB461B.jpeg
    29BC5A40-CB7C-465F-96D2-B9FD9AFB461B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2659A6B9-7137-4C6B-875C-633DFB88B31C.jpeg
    2659A6B9-7137-4C6B-875C-633DFB88B31C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 7EE70F65-5A53-4C0B-AD70-D57E0D02910A.jpeg
    7EE70F65-5A53-4C0B-AD70-D57E0D02910A.jpeg
  • AD46561C-85B1-43E7-9FD0-3DA560617F5D.jpeg
    AD46561C-85B1-43E7-9FD0-3DA560617F5D.jpeg
took part in the muzzleloading competion at my district with flintlock 50m, off hand , 15 shoots
stkBild1.jpg

stkBild2.jpg

and with percusionrifle 100m, prone with sling , 15 shoots

pfkBild3.jpg

pfkBild4.jpg

I´m not satisfied with the scores.
Ok your not happy with scores, on the other hand both targets show pretty consistant grouping, although more open than you want. Only 2 spaz shots on target #1, and 1 on target #2. With a quick look, true zero would pick up 3 points on target #1, true zero would pick up about 10 more points on target #2. Are you using npa, a spotting scope and calling your shots in prone ? Maybe rules won't allow spotting scope ?

I took another look at my Colonial lock fit. Although it functions very well, I was never completely satisfied that it was not a perfect fit. Just placing the lock into the inlet without screwing it down, it fit perfectly, but when I tightened the screws it did not. It acted as if some inner component was causing it to rock back and forth and ended up high on both ends. A tiny little bit, but noticeable. So I went back to the candle smoke and found the high spot. Removing the soot marked area in the inlet a tiny bit at a time, I FIXED IT. That might not sound like a big deal, but considering how inept I am, it's a HUGE deal. Made me feel "ept." Now my Kibler is all good. 80 grains of 2F under a .530 round ball am I am ready for whatever. If you ain't got a Kibler, sell whatever to get one. Your dog, or get a second job, hire your wife out as a party girl, sell your riding mower, borrow money, use a credit card, be a burglar long enough to pay for it, but get a Jim Kibler kit. Any other will be a lesser gun.

It’s a start- don’t underestimate what you can do 🙂

I'll second that thought....I'm throwing caution a bit to the wind with my first kit build and I'm surprising myself a fair bit. Sure, there have been mistakes (it's part of the learning process), but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I took another look at my Colonial lock fit. Although it functions very well, I was never completely satisfied that it was not a perfect fit. Just placing the lock into the inlet without screwing it down, it fit perfectly, but when I tightened the screws it did not. It acted as if some inner component was causing it to rock back and forth and ended up high on both ends. A tiny little bit, but noticeable. So I went back to the candle smoke and found the high spot. Removing the soot marked area in the inlet a tiny bit at a time, I FIXED IT. That might not sound like a big deal, but considering how inept I am, it's a HUGE deal. Made me feel "ept." Now my Kibler is all good. 80 grains of 2F under a .530 round ball am I am ready for whatever. If you ain't got a Kibler, sell whatever to get one. Your dog, or get a second job, hire your wife out as a party girl, sell your riding mower, borrow money, use a credit card, be a burglar long enough to pay for it, but get a Jim Kibler kit. Any other will be a lesser gun.

Yup...I had a minor fitment issue with my lock as well (likely user caused as my cock didn't want to let go of the tumbler and I had to block it up to give it a couple good whacks). Once I got the little bit of a curve in the back part of the lock plate fixed, everything came together well. I even got lucky with my trigger....a little bit of cleaning got me to the perfect amount of float from the get-go.

I ran some .735 ball for my Brown Bess carbine...... she's got a big appetite.
For comparative size there are several .311's lying there.
She eats big but man she's fun to shoot!

I had the short version (but not the carbine) and with the bayonet on there, man, you could tickle ribs from a long way off!

I 100% agree, the .75cal have an appetite, but they are sure fun to shoot. Hopefully my .58cal Colonial will be as fun, not as hungry and maybe, just maybe, a little more accurate to a bit further out ;)

Shot my 1858 on my friend's private property on the Peace River. He has a mound down by the river that we shoot into.

I have another friend that lives about a half mile up the river on the other side and I called him on my phone and told him to go out on his porch and listen and tell me if he could hear the gunfire.

He could hear it clear as a day as of course could I ( having no ear plugs in, shame on me ) it sounded like rolling thunder echoing up the river even with my ears ringing.

You could almost walk to his house from my friend's house but to drive there you have to go around in a big loop at least 10 miles. But it's a nice drive in the country being one of the more rural counties of southwest Florida.

I could imagine what a civil war skirmish sounded like in the distance

Last edited:
After a hard winter and too many chores around the house, I made it to the range to shoot my 40 caliber Kennedy (North Carolina) replica rifle.

Just a simple 6 shots off a rest at 25 yards. I had a few hang fires. Flint is too small and I had some issues there with hang fires and fail to fires. I will need to spend some more time tuning the lock. But I think the initial results are promising. Yes, it has a false muzzle. There are four holes at the base of the target. Yeah, definitely promising.

Target stand resize.jpg

Latest posts

Back