• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was changing sights on an Investarms this morning. new rear sight had a casting nob on the bottom. easy say's I. grabbed it with pliers and fired up the bench sander because it was handy.
sight grabbed and disappeared to the left.
Left is Indian country. shelves with open top boxes. coffee cans with open tops. garbage can full to the brim with an open top.
now i know i should spend way more time on my knees than i do, but an hour and a half on my knees attempting to pick out that little lead colored sight from among the dropped cast balls, vagrant nuts, bolts, washers, and used cleaning patches all migrated under the bottom shelf, made my old bony knees bark!
after dumping the garbage can, sorting through it, I happened to glance at the table of the sander.
you know that guide slot in those tables? they hide a rear sight very well.

Took the epoxied rear sight off my trade gun, filed in a front foot, and cut a shallow dovetail. Should help my shooting a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_3431.jpeg
    IMG_3431.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3434.jpeg
    IMG_3434.jpeg
    764 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3436.jpeg
    IMG_3436.jpeg
    912.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3438.jpeg
    IMG_3438.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
@Rob M., I’m pretty sure I found what my patched jag was catching on. I removed the breech again to do a 600 grit polish on the bore and with it cleaned an inside hump appeared under where the maker’s marks were whacked into the barrel. What do you think?? I won’t be using a jag for cleaning anymore, only a shotgun swab. And you can’t really feel the hump, the light and shadow exaggerate it a little.

Attachments

• IMG_3427.jpeg
    IMG_3427.jpeg
    775.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
.... Forged trigger guard pics
@Rob M., I’m pretty sure I found what my patched jag was catching on. I removed the breech again to do a 600 grit polish on the bore and with it cleaned an inside hump appeared under where the maker’s marks were whacked into the barrel. What do you think?? I won’t be using a jag for cleaning anymore, only a shotgun swab. And you can’t really feel the hump, the light and shadow exaggerate it a little.

Attachments

• IMG_20240314_150225.jpg
    IMG_20240314_150225.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240317_143739.jpg
    IMG_20240317_143739.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240317_144822.jpg
    IMG_20240317_144822.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Wow !! Thats crazy ! but looking at those deep barrel markings ....I'd have to agree with you !! WOW !!! Crazy ! Geesh !!! :O . I'd be filing , or better yet reaming that bump out of there ! Wow !

Wow !! Thats crazy ! but looking at those deep barrel markings ....I'd have to agree with you !! WOW !!! Crazy ! Geesh !!! :O . I'd be filing , or better yet reaming that bump out of there ! Wow !
Yep, I was surprised and a bit disappointed, but it doesn’t affect loading and using a shotgun swab it won’t affect cleaning either. I never got the jag stuck, but it was aggravating pushing it past the hump every stroke! I’ll just stick to the swab.

Shot the new .50 halfstock today and it is shredding patches all around the ball, but it grouped reasonably well at 25 yds with 50 gr Swiss 2f. Took it to 100 yd range with 70 gr 2f and hit the 10” steel gong on my 3rd shot offhand. Need to figure out what’s shredding patches and find best loads, but a good start.

Shot the new .50 halfstock today and it is shredding patches all around the ball, but it grouped reasonably well at 25 yds with 50 gr Swiss 2f. Took it to 100 yd range with 70 gr 2f and hit the 10” steel gong on my 3rd shot offhand. Need to figure out what’s shredding patches and find best loads, but a good start.
Maybe give the muzzle a good thumb twist polish with 220 to 400 grit, or down to 600. It works for me.

Maybe give the muzzle a good thumb twist polish with 220 to 400 grit, or down to 600. It works for me.
I don’t think it’s the crown - I pushed a patched ball down an inch into the barrel and pulled it out and patch looked fine. The patch is blown out all around the ball. It slides down the barrel easily. Need to shoot a bit more and experiment with different patch materials and see if I can spot the problem.:thumb:

I don’t think it’s the crown - I pushed a patched ball down an inch into the barrel and pulled it out and patch looked fine. The patch is blown out all around the ball. It slides down the barrel easily. Need to shoot a bit more and experiment with different patch materials and see if I can spot the problem.:thumb:
Gotcha, probably some rough spots down the bore.

Back