• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replace car parts, change oil an filter, tire work,
going to take a break from the horsesless carriage an try to identify what these are for. Seem to be same dia as our standard small size, but longer and that anvil shor protrud
IMG_20240315_142338529.jpg

Buttplate made , nails made , attached ... Gettin stock roughed in a bit ... Gotta forge out a trigger guard soon so cut out a strip of steel for it ... The finished one is my N.Star pattern , early style ...
Have you managed to find some good coal for your forge yet Rob.

Nope ...but a neighbor bud just told me where I could find a heap of coal not too far so hopefully I'll get some soon. Gonna use my buddys torch to do this T.G.

Have to give a shout out to @Piquant. I copied his idea on this. Bought a cheap HF 1 1/4” hole saw, ground off the teeth, and filed/sanded a cutting edge. Cut a section of old cedar fence board and cut fabric for the width and double the length. Stapled the fabric down on each end. Wasn’t sure I had the edge sharp enough, but it cut the fabric like butter. I think it 62 patches from the one side, think I can do a better spacing job on the other side and get 70 or so. I’ve had the fabric a good while, a couple of yards, compresses to a true .020”. Pretty sure I’ve never washed it to remove the sizing so I’ll do that before making more. The patches are the perfect size for .45 - .50 cal.
I can't take credit for the idea, I seen it somewhere else, worked for me and just passing it on.

I started a new horn with a twist. I've scorched wood to bring out the grain and I thought why not horn.
This was just a plain horn so I scorched it to see what would happen.......here's the results.
The tip is still the original color but the golden/orange is scorched.
Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_163655912~3.jpg
    IMG_20240315_163655912~3.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240315_163706037~3.jpg
    IMG_20240315_163706037~3.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 0
Carved these two horns over the last couple of days- ready for some engraving now.
Pretty nice contrast with that black and white. Good tip and spout shaping too. Did you dye the black part of the horns to make their color so precise? I can’t wait it see your scrimshaw work on them.

Well, as I said....it's coming along. Just got my Renaissance wax today, so I am trying one last test block (different order to see if the oak brown will do anything under the red) and waiting on the taller rear sight. I'll likely start laying out and working on the incised moulding lines once I get the nose cap on, and then I'll see about insetting my "medallion" in the comb. By that time, hopefully my final dye test is complete and I can move along to the finishing steps.

View attachment 303910

Pardon the sanding dust on the cock and barrel...I clicked before I realized I hadn't blown the dust off.

View attachment 303911
Looking good

was going to take a nap. Boss Lady said to get my lazy self outside in the sun. walked over to my target area and sure enough the lead i planted last winter is sprouting. picked a pound. still some ice in the ground so much more will pop up as it warms more.
View attachment 304168
Is that the "Boss Lady's" carpet you spread those out on? 🤣

was going to take a nap. Boss Lady said to get my lazy self outside in the sun. walked over to my target area and sure enough the lead i planted last winter is sprouting. picked a pound. still some ice in the ground so much more will pop up as it warms more.
View attachment 304168
Better get some fertilizer down Thad.

Back