• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just about what I shoot in my rifles, 40 gr 3f in my 40 cal and 65 or 70 gr 2f in my 50 cal depending. Guess the guys new what they were doing, not that I do. Always thought the powder should be in relation to ball weight and not size. How does that work for you guys shooting 54s and 58s?

For a .58 cal, that works out to ~110 grains of powder. I'm thinking that's a longer range / hunting load rather than a "just plinking away" load. Still, it's not out of line to what I've heard folks use for hunting in a .58 cal.: from what I have seen, lots of folks on here seem to be shooting in the ~75 grain range for target and ~100 grain range for hunting.

Finished the bess today, hope I get to shoot them soon!

1710201647699.png

For a .58 cal, that works out to ~110 grains of powder. I'm thinking that's a longer range / hunting load rather than a "just plinking away" load. Still, it's not out of line to what I've heard folks use for hunting in a .58 cal.: from what I have seen, lots of folks on here seem to be shooting in the ~75 grain range for target and ~100 grain range for hunting.
I work up a load for all my guns, my 54 GPR likes 63 grains as a target load to 100 yds, no I DO NOT INCREASE MY CHARGE at a longer distance, I learned how to shoot my rifle and what the point of aim is at each distance between 25, 50, 75, & 100 yds, My Issac Haines in 54 with the Getz swamped barrel likes 67 grains, my full stock Mtn Rifle with the Bill Large barrel is 72 grains, these are both 54 also. take the time and work up loads, 1- a lesser grain for targets, and a second for hunting, although I normally use the same load for deer as target load, Elk is a different story!

I just got in from an afternoon in the shop designing, cutting out a new hunting pouch for an old customer I talked with at the show this weekend who was looking for our tables which we did not do this year, anyway he wants a new bag so he twisted my arm a bit and we are on the way to a new bag for him, should be fun, if I like it I just might make another and put it up F/S.

Today,,,,
Well I fired a 150+ year old Maynard Model 2 Carbine!

I finally got that old Maynard fire channel clean, I acquired brass, musket caps and I loaded it up and shot the thing. :D

It was getting dark and I had just enough time to load up 1 brass. I do not have the regulation bullet that sets in that brass, but what I do have is some .50 caliber TC Maxi Hunter 275 grain conicals I paper patched enough to hold the bullet snug in the brass.

Tomorrow I will blast off a few more and see if I can get any sort of group. :)

That 1 bullet was kind enough to blast out some of the corrosion in the barrel I thought was permanent. While there is still some bore pitting down at the bottom and at the muzzle it is minor for a gun from the 1860's. I have seen much worse where shooters were still shooting the gun. Heck I got an old CVA with a roached barrel I can still hit an acceptable group at 30 yards consistently.

I can see how the boys who were issued these Maynard Carbines were so happy for them. The cartridge concept being in its early deployment was as we all know game changing back in the day. Even though one must still use the Musket Cap with this old weapon the sustainable ROF from this weapon was upwards of 8-10 rounds per minute certainly much higher than the Zouave at 2-4 shots per minute.

After I have had my day with this rifle I will take new pictures of the rifle and accessories it will come with it and relist it in the guns for sale section of this forum.

(I got to tell you I am tickled pink. When mom handed me this rifle to sell off I was not sure I could make it fire worthy with my limited skills. But with some determination and a few active brain cells I got it done.)

Compared Goex to Swiss in my 40 cal shooting about 45 gr, 395 ball and .018 patch.
Looks like Swiss is about 146 fps faster, with a deviation of 125. Goex only had a 70 fps deviation. I didn't weigh the charges, just dumped them in a bored out piece of horn, so there is some room for error.
Goex vs Swiss.jpg

I shot the Maynard model 2 more this morning and it was really fun.
And I learned that I want to put musket nipples on all my rifles. Those large caps are easy to handle and are nice and hot. If I didn't have a thousand regular #10 and #11 caps I would be ordering musket nipples today. But I will stick with the caps I have for now.

London again non stop rain. Just got back from Marsden for my every 14 day infusion for cancer. , it’s shrunk 60 mm tumours to less that 10 mm and all stable. Immunology !!!! Seems I’ll make 90 after all .

Anyway , what with all this rain, made a sizer die out of another bit of junk. And my sized bullets came out at .420 brill for paper patching as the bore of my Feldstutzer is .432. Maybe a bit long as it’s 1:37 twist riffling , but the original bullets were a bit long anyway , see “ bloke on the range or our Hungerian friend “. I did not want to change chuck , so I drilled a bit of turned scrap on the drill press and finished ground it with my dremmil. It’s all pretty straight forward . The aluminium mould I made last year Nice to chat always here to help

Love to wherever you are across the pond or down under , but especially Tommy up in Maine My wife just reminded me it’s our wedding anniversary Saturday. , it seemed a good idea back in 1968 , is that , is that really 56 years ago , hell I must be old. 81 too on 22 March

Enjoy

Attachments

• B78A2CAD-A7DA-485B-889F-17644A56A203.jpeg
    B78A2CAD-A7DA-485B-889F-17644A56A203.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • E146FFD1-9434-4E41-96B8-D05B64D8D0AF.jpeg
    E146FFD1-9434-4E41-96B8-D05B64D8D0AF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F8A14608-F1E8-4885-84BB-B394D5A58001.jpeg
    F8A14608-F1E8-4885-84BB-B394D5A58001.jpeg
    985.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 422859E1-8BD5-40AA-9295-35EC5B60F148.jpeg
    422859E1-8BD5-40AA-9295-35EC5B60F148.jpeg
    958.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D5138B72-558D-4552-BC64-09D3C3500707.jpeg
    D5138B72-558D-4552-BC64-09D3C3500707.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 99F2D8B6-5753-4DCE-B40A-D7DAB1731055.jpeg
    99F2D8B6-5753-4DCE-B40A-D7DAB1731055.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 27680261-A774-4EA9-8E5C-AEDB8F4EAD88.jpeg
    27680261-A774-4EA9-8E5C-AEDB8F4EAD88.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • F4A51AF3-4AD5-4E9B-A528-18E682F1FAC3.jpeg
    F4A51AF3-4AD5-4E9B-A528-18E682F1FAC3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 3ABA87B6-48BC-4EF9-BBEF-47A0800DAA44.jpeg
    3ABA87B6-48BC-4EF9-BBEF-47A0800DAA44.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Well, I just finished an afternoon of downright sloppy shooting. I think it was a combination of things, I slept late, the time change, maybe one too many sips of bourbon last night, who knows. Took my .54 Woodsrunner to the range. I already had it pretty much dialed in with the taller rear sight, just needed to make some minor windage adjustments. My shooting stunk from the get go. I must have shot 50 rounds, I was spilling powder, burned through a whole horn of powder, and still couldn’t get a decent 5 shot group! Was using my standard target load of 60 grs Swiss 3F, .530 RBs, and .018 pillow ticking with mink oil lube. Goex 4F prime. Hate to even show any targets, I changed out a bunch. Maybe I’ll try again tomorrow.
TDM I have a 54 green mountain barrel in my hawken and it likes 90 gr of 3f or 100 gr of 2f and the same patch and lub as your useing.Seems like they need a good fast push you should give it a go .

TDM I have a 54 green mountain barrel in my hawken and it likes 90 gr of 3f or 100 gr of 2f and the same patch and lub as your useing.Seems like they need a good fast push you should give it a go .
I agree, I’ve been scrimping on the powder. Next time I’ll try some 70-80-90 loads. Not like like I’m going to shoot the .54 all day, I’ve got the .45s for economical shooting.

View attachment 303058Did this today. 22-250 soldered to 45-70. Holds 110gr.
I like it! but it will be a cold day in hades before i sacrifice one of my 22-250 brass. cost of the last 50 i bought almost equaled the cost of the rifle! not, but i was shocked. just got some 32-40 brass at 1.75 each.
this is why i love muzzleloading.

Well, I just finished an afternoon of downright sloppy shooting. I think it was a combination of things, I slept late, the time change, maybe one too many sips of bourbon last night, who knows. Took my .54 Woodsrunner to the range. I already had it pretty much dialed in with the taller rear sight, just needed to make some minor windage adjustments. My shooting stunk from the get go. I must have shot 50 rounds, I was spilling powder, burned through a whole horn of powder, and still couldn’t get a decent 5 shot group! Was using my standard target load of 60 grs Swiss 3F, .530 RBs, and .018 pillow ticking with mink oil lube. Goex 4F prime. Hate to even show any targets, I changed out a bunch. Maybe I’ll try again tomorrow.
need more bear fat?:D if i shot a group like that i would be giddy! send those targets to me Thad and i will claim i shot them!🤣🤣

I did go shooting again today with a little better luck. But I used the .50 Woodsrunner, hadn’t shot it in a while. Had to make a few minor sight adjustments that I didn’t finish last session. Shot 30 rounds, .490 cast RBs, .020 patch, mostly mink oil but some spit lube. 60 grains Swiss 3F and Goex 4F prime. Tried some shots at 25 & 50 yards with 50 grains and the accuracy fell off. One thing I forget about, since I mainly shoot my SMRs, is how gentle the Woodsrunner locks are on flints. Didn’t have to knap at all yesterday after 50 or so rounds and the same today at 30. Flint still looks great. Both my SMR locks are somewhat harder on flints. Also my .50 Woodsrunner has a lighter trigger pull than my .54, I need to talk to the builder about that. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3381.jpeg
    IMG_3381.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3383.jpeg
    IMG_3383.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3386.jpeg
    IMG_3386.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3388.jpeg
    IMG_3388.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
need more bear fat?:D if i shot a group like that i would be giddy! send those targets to me Thad and i will claim i shot them!🤣🤣
You know, I picked up your can of bear fat this morning to use and then didn’t. I love it, but I keep hoarding it so I won’t run out! It always does a great job.

You know, I picked up your can of bear fat this morning to use and then didn’t. I love it, but I keep hoarding it so I won’t run out! It always does a great job.
I have 10 pints of fat Thad. if it works for you use it. poor little bear gave its all just for that. just a word and i will send more.

though i guess the guy ate the meat.

I have a nice amount of bear fat set back and I keep hoarding it instead of shooting it. Just I don't see much bear in my future, they don't come around these parts and the idea of dressing out a bear and packing it out does not appeal to me.

I have a nice amount of bear fat set back and I keep hoarding it instead of shooting it. Just I don't see much bear in my future, they don't come around these parts and the idea of dressing out a bear and packing it out does not appeal to me.
i whole heartedly agree C.L.
I had 3 klatches on a nice 300 lb black and he headed your way after the third. i was relieved.
they are the clowns of the woods and have given me many pleasurable hours watching them.
fires forced them up here a couple years ago and i let hunters take 8 out of my orchards. some guys remembered i asked for some fat, others didn't.
i eat enough Elk, deer, and grouse that i just don't care for bear.

Latest posts

Back