• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday-Finally got back into muzzle loading yesterday after spending the last month playing with reloading unmentionable rounds. Competed in our club match and got a first in muzzleloading rifle. I don't shoot very good but I have a Hawken that shoots VERY good! Pistol, not so good. I have 4 revolvers that shoot great in practice, every one, but on match days the bullets just go wherever they want. Maybe they don't like to wake up at 7am. But a fun day. No wind, kinda neat shooting through all the smoke on the range from the other contestants. I took a look at my trigger and lock on the Hawken which I had not done in a year. Very clean and well lubed. Degreased and cleaned them both and lubed with Mobil 1 grease. Good for another year or two.

I didn't do a thing, but I passively picked up the targets for the NMLRA Postal Shoot from the post office today. Now, if only I can actually not wait until the very last minute to shoot these! :p

The Doc is a terrible procrastinator, and out now. :cool:

Found a package waiting for me when I got home. My two locks were returned from Cabin Creek. Overall opinion is this is some of the best money I've spent in a long time. The Kibler locks are the only flintlocks I have ever owned. So I started out with top tier products. The difference between the "stock" locks and the tuned locks is so obvious that even someone with my limited experience can see it and feel it. They are "warm butter smooth" through the cycling. Can't wait to take them out and shoot a bit. The invoice had a handwritten, step by step, what was done. Nice touch.

Found a package waiting for me when I got home. My two locks were returned from Cabin Creek. Overall opinion is this is some of the best money I've spent in a long time. The Kibler locks are the only flintlocks I have ever owned. So I started out with top tier products. The difference between the "stock" locks and the tuned locks is so obvious that even someone with my limited experience can see it and feel it. They are "warm butter smooth" through the cycling. Can't wait to take them out and shoot a bit. The invoice had a handwritten, step by step, what was done. Nice touch.
Glad you got them back better than when they left. The tuning really does make a positive difference.

Yesterday-Finally got back into muzzle loading yesterday after spending the last month playing with reloading unmentionable rounds. Competed in our club match and got a first in muzzleloading rifle. I don't shoot very good but I have a Hawken that shoots VERY good! Pistol, not so good. I have 4 revolvers that shoot great in practice, every one, but on match days the bullets just go wherever they want. Maybe they don't like to wake up at 7am. But a fun day. No wind, kinda neat shooting through all the smoke on the range from the other contestants. I took a look at my trigger and lock on the Hawken which I had not done in a year. Very clean and well lubed. Degreased and cleaned them both and lubed with Mobil 1 grease. Good for another year or two.
The boss picked up the mail and look what was in it 😁

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
needed a shipping carton for the Austin Halleck i sold. discovered i was without said item. Ordered some from Uline.
went to town for a DR's appointment and after the poking and prodding stopped at the FFL i use for those unmentionable things i can't mention here. picked up the nameless item. mentioned i needed a carton big enough for a muzzleloader and my friend dragged me out to the shipping bay where he had cardboard. heavy duty card board. like me he can't throw away stuff like that.
got two pieces about 36x60.
that stuff is so strong if the USPS uses it for a truck ramp it should survive.
will go out in the mail tomorrow.

Trying to round up old project parts from a 60 year accumulation, easily sidetracked. Found three back action lockplates and internal parts, two hammers. Predictably, none of the parts are for the lock plates in hand.

Eyesight getting bad, even with the eyeball injections. Sorting unmentionable brass and cartridges to clean workbench not going well. Can't read some headstamps and many are too similar to call. Same with loose roundballs and my trusty old micrometer. Nuts.

Trying to round up old project parts from a 60 year accumulation, easily sidetracked. Found three back action lockplates and internal parts, two hammers. Predictably, none of the parts are for the lock plates in hand.

Eyesight getting bad, even with the eyeball injections. Sorting unmentionable brass and cartridges to clean workbench not going well. Can't read some headstamps and many are too similar to call. Same with loose roundballs and my trusty old micrometer. Nuts.
May or may not work for you, when my wife gives upon on her glasses or opti visor. The smart phone comes out and the picture gets blown up.

May or may not work for you, when my wife gives upon on her glasses or opti visor. The smart phone comes out and the picture gets blown up.
Appreciate the info. Problem's macular degeneration and edema. Diabetes. I'll try the smartphone. At least it's painless. Harbor freight dial micrometer'll have to do for now. At least once it's set, I can sort one size, then re-set for another. No big deal for patched round balls. (.223 vs .222- problem)

Shot my Baker Cavalry shotgun. Mostly paper cartridges, but also some loose loads. The buckshot loads were a little disappointing, but the round balls shot pretty well. Thinking about getting some musket nipples for it or maybe some Mag spark adapters. Thanks

I cast and lubed 100ish .54 caliber 380 grain Lee REAL bullets.

I put .54 caliber barrel on TC New Englander and went out back to zero close at 25 yards so I can try 75 yards one of these days,the row of holes on left of bull was first few shots to get feel of trigger,then i gave target a 1/4 turn and 2 shots low,them some arithmetic and and a few clicks up,settled in with sandbags on pick up hood and 3 shots dead center.

I was pretty amazed since I was just planning to send few rounds downrange and get close enough to be on paper at 100 yards.
I was using 25-30 year old pyrodex RS and the Lee REAl 380 grain bulletsjust to get pyrodex used up and get close to zero.
I bought barrel without sights but a scope mount,so I mounted a cheap 4X scope I pulled off a pellet gun a few years ago,I will eventually put Iron sights on barrel but for now I'm going to leave scope on and see just what she'll do at 100 plus yards.

Attachments

• KIMG0738.JPG
    KIMG0738.JPG
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0737.JPG
    KIMG0737.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back