• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some .390 RB casting today. A bit cool out there on the porch, but I knocked out a fair number. Counted 859 when all was said and done.

I’m putting the same ball thru my Kibler SMR and modified Remington 1858 Navy, but that should last me a while.

View attachment 299577
What kind of mold is that?? Looks like you have to fill it from top and bottom?

I've been working on a couple of priming horns the last few days, as well as the never ending PA fowler.
I find things work out best when I put down a project for a while. It tends to improve enthusiasm, and therefore performance, lessening mistakes. This is especially true of complicated rifle/fowler builds. Hence the horn projects slipping in between build steps.
Have a great Sunday.

Stopped ata small gun shop late yesterday afternoon and found a couple of small item. Found 22 tubular magazine for a 1890 Winchester I’ve had laying around for years. Also found this unusual lock. It is two piece.
IMG_3168.jpeg

I also picked up a brass butt plate for some future project and the guy threw in a frizzen spring for who knows what.

Took the wife to the range so she could shoot her new Patriot. I shot it a couple of times. It was fun. She was going to try the new shotgun but with 30 MPH wind we decided to wait for a better day. Clays would have really been dancing around.

Big rain and snow today so one old powder horn project got completed. It’s the wife’s horn. It only took me 4 years to end up in her good graces. She likes it!
I had a bonus moment when I was trying to light the horn to take photos. If you notice. the horn lights up when it’s lit from behind.
The initial scraping of the horn for carving did make that magic happen. The old timers wanted everything they carried to be as light and as strong as possible.
On to the next lingering muzzleloader project.

Attachments

• IMG_3451.jpeg
    IMG_3451.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3447.jpeg
    IMG_3447.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
While I was home last time my granddaughter and I shoot her Traditions Deerhunter, she did well. After we cleaned it I just wasn’t happy with the nipple to thread fit on the drum. This was a new, correct nipple that didn’t give me cause for concern when I first installed it, but this time it did. Closer inspection showed little remaining of the drum threads. So I ordered and oversized nipple, tap, and drill bits from TOW. The box is waiting for me at home now. So this afternoon I removed the drum so I can get it repaired when I come back. And the gouges on the drum aren’t all mine! Somebody buggered it up before me. If I can’t get it fixed properly I’ll try again to find a new drum or replacement barrel. I’ve had no luck locating a new drum, if anybody knows a source please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_3363.jpeg
    IMG_3363.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Today it was a trip to the woods to scout my spring bear hunting area. It rained, snowed, hailed and blew. Needless to say, no sign of Yogi or BooBoo yet. Skunk cabbage is starting to bloom so they won't be far behind. Sure hope the big old boar I've been chasing for years is still alive and well. He should be cruising his area soon. Last spring pic I had of him he was 350-375 pounds. By Fall, with a good berry crop, he looks like a furry, black, VW Bug.

Practiced a bit with my .40 flintlock. Needed practice shooting offhand at 100 yds - 1st shot 6” low, 2nd shot 4” high, held base of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight, held at the bottom edge of the gong and rang the 10” gong 3 times in a row! .400 ball, 65 gr Swiss 3f, red ticking over a 1/8” felt wad soaked in olive oil. Practiced more at 35 yds and shot about 20 times and loaded easy every time with no cleaning between shots.

Too cool! Now I am going to have to build one. You should consider a thread on how you did that with pics.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, been smart to take pictures as I went along, but that's a big fat fail on my part.
Really all I did was remove everything from the shipping box. Screwed the lid back on. Added screws to the top and bottom, and wherever I thought it needed to be reinforced paying attention to where the cut was going to be. Took masking tape went around the box edges so I could draw a reference line to follow with a jig saw. Cut the corners with a hand saw the rest with the jig saw. Walla top half and bottom half. Got 4 yard sticks from home depot used them to create a lip that stick above the bottom half about 1/4 inch so the lid had something to index on. Screwed the hinges and the latches on the box with 6 and 8/32 machine screw, washers, and nylock nuts. Used polystyrene closed cell foam around the outer edges held in place with carpet tape. Used an old soldering iron to melt reliefs nuts in the polystyrene. Hospital grade mattress pad from Amazon. It's cut a bit over sized no need to glue it in.
2 kayak handles from Amazon. 4 rubber feet so it will stand on the hinge side. Piece of old hazardous frought tie down for the lid stay screwed to the box side with #6 wood screws 2 washers box side one under head of screw. Optional cigar box for accessories.
4 Hinges (home depot)
4 latches (AMAZON)
2 Kayak Handles (Amazon)
1 Mattress Pad (Amazon)
4 Yard Sticks (Home Depot)
Box of 1 inch wood screws
4 rubber feet
Forman Tape aka two faced aka carpet tape
Hot glue gun

Latest posts

Back