• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a Pedersoli Napoleon LePage Target Percussion .45 pistol. Blued the barrel and plan shooting it tomorrow.

Thank you Boomstick! Especially including balls and patches.

Attachments

• IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1229.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
Had a nice range day with my dad. Got my Kentucky Rifle dialed in pretty good. Seems to like 60gr pyrodex with a .015 patch and .490 ball. There's some slight tearing of the patches on the rifling, but seems to only be on 2 or 3 grooves on most of the patches I found. Might be overthinking it. I didn't have a tape measure or calipers, but at 50 yards it's shooting about a 1.5"-2" group, and at 100 yards it's probably around a 6" group. But I was just resting the barrel on my range bag, so I'm sure the rifle is shooting tighter than I am. Groups opened way up with 55gr and 65 gr, I was shocked to see how much difference 5gr can make.

On a side note, something about my facial structure and the stock on my Kentucky Rifle just don't get along. To get a good cheek weld on it, I'm putting it right under my cheek bone. Most of my rifles I can get it a bit lower and shoot comfortably all day. 45-50 rounds down range today and my cheek bone is a bit tender and swollen. I'm not stranger to shoulder thumpers, but a cheek thumper is a new one for me. Might make myself a nice leather cheek pad/riser for it. Been a while since I've done any leather tooling, could be a fun project.

Had a nice range day with my dad. Got my Kentucky Rifle dialed in pretty good. Seems to like 60gr pyrodex with a .015 patch and .490 ball. There's some slight tearing of the patches on the rifling, but seems to only be on 2 or 3 grooves on most of the patches I found. Might be overthinking it. I didn't have a tape measure or calipers, but at 50 yards it's shooting about a 1.5"-2" group, and at 100 yards it's probably around a 6" group. But I was just resting the barrel on my range bag, so I'm sure the rifle is shooting tighter than I am. Groups opened way up with 55gr and 65 gr, I was shocked to see how much difference 5gr can make.

On a side note, something about my facial structure and the stock on my Kentucky Rifle just don't get along. To get a good cheek weld on it, I'm putting it right under my cheek bone. Most of my rifles I can get it a bit lower and shoot comfortably all day. 45-50 rounds down range today and my cheek bone is a bit tender and swollen. I'm not stranger to shoulder thumpers, but a cheek thumper is a new one for me. Might make myself a nice leather cheek pad/riser for it. Been a while since I've done any leather tooling, could be a fun project.
Mine dose the same for me!!! When I’m just plinking I feed it about 30 grains!! That way I don’t have a sore face!

The chuck key left in the chuck scares the hell out of me. It's not a good habit to get into.

I was using it as a handle to rotate the chuck. When not it use I keep it on top of the headstock held in place by the little black magnet visible in the pic. The clear plastic cover for the chuck has an interlock that disconnects power when in the open position as shown.

I am mindful that machine tools can hurt you badly with zero warning so I am careful around them.

Last night, not today 😁

As related here, It leaks!! I had this experience with a new build on an older CVA Kentucky rifle kit. Last night I took a closer look.

First thing I did was check to see if it simply wasn't turned in all the way. I was able to turn it in about an 1/8 and checked to see if it made a difference. It didn't! Filled the barrel with water and it leaked around the drum AND the nipple.

20240113_153353_copy_600x800.jpg

I removed the drum for inspection and saw no problem with the threads. Looking carefully at the drum/ nipple it seems the nipple was mounted at a slight angle. Hard to see in this picture.

20240113_155444_copy_600x800.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is the problem with the nipple leak. It needs to be straight and flush.

I think the drum may be slightly longer than the hole drilled and tapped for it which might have been prevented it from seating all the way. But given that I was able to take that 1/8 turn, it is not worth dealing with it and then there's also that nipple problem!

20240113_153808_copy_600x450.jpg

Ordered a new drum and set it aside until it arrives.

Shot in a woods walk today until my rifle's patent breech got so clogged I couldn't clear it in the field. I was able to do so after getting home. This rifle appears to need water flushed through the breech after each range session to maintain reliability. (I'd even removed the nipple yesterday and blasted electrical contact cleaner and compressed air through the flash channel in preparation for today, but apparently that wasn't enough. And no, I don't swab between shots.)

I had my friend use my iPhone to take a video of this shot, from which I grabbed a frame using VLC.

011424-DSM-Woodswalk-smoke.jpg

Well..... I'm new to muzzle loading, been making powder and loading my 45 LC for years now and decided to step into actual ML. So, did a little shooting today. Got a chance to test my homemade 2F "antique propellent". Sent about 20 round balls down range and about 8 .50 PowerBelts to test POI shift, there was very little at 50 yards. I don't own a chrno "yet" so no velocities, all I had to go by was felt recoil between mine and Goex and mine had a tad bit more recoil at 90 grs, both powders grouped tight with no noticeable difference in powder cleanliness when running a patch after 2 rounds. My cast balls did good, .495 with .015 lubed patches. I understand this is probably run of the mill for y'all but for me on my 1st range session with pretty much all homemade components, I'm stoked..LOL

Well..... I'm new to muzzle loading, been making powder and loading my 45 LC for years now and decided to step into actual ML. So, did a little shooting today. Got a chance to test my homemade 2F "antique propellent". Sent about 20 round balls down range and about 8 .50 PowerBelts to test POI shift, there was very little at 50 yards. I don't own a chrno "yet" so no velocities, all I had to go by was felt recoil between mine and Goex and mine had a tad bit more recoil at 90 grs, both powders grouped tight with no noticeable difference in powder cleanliness when running a patch after 2 rounds. My cast balls did good, .495 with .015 lubed patches. I understand this is probably run of the mill for y'all but for me on my 1st range session with pretty much all homemade components, I'm stoked..LOL
Your off to a great start!

Got out the banjo and picked a little’Cumberland Gap’ before I checked the flint and wiped down my Fusil de Chasse.

Also wondering if anybody on here besides me knows the meaning of the name on the butt plate. If you do, we may have something in common.

View attachment 284918View attachment 284919
That's rabbit spelled backwards, Banjoman. ;)

Pete

Back