• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engraved some lines into Horn 52 this morning. I am thinking about doing a type of “woodcut” style decoration on this one, perhaps a hunting scene.
I know it will be a work of art like the others ones you made. How about one with a Louisiana theme. Maybe lake Pontchartrain and the Blind river area with a French flavor. A fleur-de- lis maybe with something inspiring written in French, mon ami.🙂

Pete,
I’m wondering how .562 and .570 fit in a .53 cal barrel without a hammer? Seems a bit tight. 😵‍💫
Yep. I should have explained that better, Terrier. I assumed too much with my abbreviation to 53.

The rifled musket is an 1853 Parker Hale Enfield, a replica of the Enfield Pattern 1853 (or.577 Enfield) rifle-musket that was the standard-issue musket of the British Empire beginning in 1853 (hence its designation). The type served in several conflicts of the period including the Crimean War (1853-1856), the United States Civil War (1861-1865) and the New Zealand Land Wars (1845-1872).

Being .577, you can see how a .570 ball would fit a little tight with a .015 patch (.570+.015=.585), while the .562 goes down easier being right on calibre (.562+.015=.577).

Kindest regards,

Pete

Today I installed a rear sight on my Caywood NW Trade Gun in a shallow dovetail. I have a Grizzly G8689 table top milling machine that works well for small jobs like this.

My primary use for this gun is with round balls but I have a Remington Rolling Block shotgun that's fitted with a rear sight and I can still wingshoot with it pretty well.

After I zero for windage I'll narrow the sight to match the barrel.

ASSuming I can keep my shots on a paper plate at 50 yards, I'll take it out in the PA late flintlock deer season.

rear-sight.jpg

I spent the day with Claudette, my .32 Cherokee, testing patches. I fired 49 shots. Like most of the other muzzleloaders I've been shooting lately I hadn't had Claudette on a date to the range for a few years. She did good once I zeroed in on my patch and ball combo. These are amazing little guns.

Oh, about Claudette. She was another of my internet buys that wasn't exactly as advertised. This being said the as new condition was close but it was obvious patches had been cut at the muzzle and there is a pretty good ding on the left hand side of the stock just forward of the wrist. If you're old enough, or an old movie fan, you might be familiar with the actress Claudette Colbert. If you've ever watched the classic movie Drums Along The Mohawk (1939) you know her. Anyway she had some slight blemish or disfigurement on one side of her face so she did not want to be filmed from the side that showed it. Well, my .32 Cherokee has a blemish or disfigurement on her left side hence, Claudette.

Drums Along The Mohawk is a film most muzzleloading enthusiasts might enjoy. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
I went hunting today. Its the tail end of our late ML season. Nothing but does again today however I did find a large true tinder fungus growing on a black birch. If you have ever wondered what chaga looks like - this is it.

View attachment 276607
got to ask because i honestly dont know.what can be done with chaga.can it be used for something?

Yep. I should have explained that better, Terrier. I assumed too much with my abbreviation to 53.

The rifled musket is an 1853 Parker Hale Enfield, a replica of the Enfield Pattern 1853 (or.577 Enfield) rifle-musket that was the standard-issue musket of the British Empire beginning in 1853 (hence its designation). The type served in several conflicts of the period including the Crimean War (1853-1856), the United States Civil War (1861-1865) and the New Zealand Land Wars (1845-1872).

Being .577, you can see how a .570 ball would fit a little tight with a .015 patch (.570+.015=.585), while the .562 goes down easier being right on calibre (.562+.015=.577).

Kindest regards,

Pete
u have just explained what i was going to ask.thank you.im slowly learning.

got to ask because i honestly dont know.what can be done with chaga.can it be used for something?
Chaga, aka tinder fungus, aka inonitus obliquus is an amazing natural tinder for fire starting. It requires no special treatment other than drying and will catch a spark very easily from flint and steel. Its actually harder to put it out once lit than to ignite. The smoke has a pleasant smell and will keep the bugs away from your camp.

Chaga is also reputed to have anti tumor medicinal properties when consumed as a tea.

I started working on loads for the long Fowler. I am using equal measures of powder and corn meal as over powder cushion and was happy to see some decent spread out to 50 yards. I think I will try 80 grains ff and 200 grain measure of #5 shot next.

Attachments

• IMG_0814.jpeg
    IMG_0814.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0818.jpeg
    IMG_0818.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0822.jpeg
    IMG_0822.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Chaga, aka tinder fungus, aka inonitus obliquus is an amazing natural tinder for fire starting. It requires no special treatment other than drying and will catch a spark very easily from flint and steel. Its actually harder to put it out once lit than to ignite. The smoke has a pleasant smell and will keep the bugs away from your camp.

Chaga is also reputed to have anti tumor medicinal properties when consumed as a tea.
thank you so much .im learning slowly

Got out today with my son to do a little range time before the PA late flintlock season starts. His .54 lyman and my .58 investarm are ready for the 26th, any issues will be on us. He's got all his tags and is home on winter break from PSU so he'll get after them. I'll be only out Saturdays and new years day, no PTO to take for hunting this year.

PathfinderNC where do you get your horns? I have been toying with the Idea of trying to make one.​

Powderhorns and more has kits they sell, plug is drilled and mostly fitted and stopper is fitted and sealed. stopper needs tacked and shaped, plug needs to be final fitted and all shaping and styling done with horn as desired. I'm working on my 1st now, will be functional but no eye catcher like PathfinderNC makes.

I refinished my Traditions .50 Deerhunter to gift my oldest granddaughter for Christmas. The rifle is a good shooter but it was rough, most of the bluing gone, and an ugly shiny finish. I stripped and reblued the barrel and parts. Sanded down the stock and restrained with Dixie’s antique stain. Then rubbed it down with a couple of coats of a BLO/gum turpentine mix. Also did a good thumb polish on the muzzle and polished the bore before I started.

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpeg
    IMG_3096.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3097.jpeg
    IMG_3097.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3098.jpeg
    IMG_3098.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3099.jpeg
    IMG_3099.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3100.jpeg
    IMG_3100.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I refinished my Traditions .50 Deerhunter to gift my oldest granddaughter for Christmas. The rifle is a good shooter but it was rough, most of the bluing gone, and an ugly shiny finish. I stripped and reblued the barrel and parts. Sanded down the stock and restrained with Dixie’s antique stain. Then rubbed it down with a couple of coats of a BLO/gum turpentine mix. Also did a good thumb polish on the muzzle and polished the bore before I started.
Looks great!

Back