• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the day chasing muleys on the Palouse, in Eastern Washington. Have a doe tag and saw 25 does and fawns or so, but none inside the 75 yards I prefer. (Bought a .58 cal Kibler Colonial this spring, but I'm not dialed in enough, so I carried my old TC .54 Hawken, for its 42nd year.) I was ready to go with some (also old) 425 grains Great Plains bullets in front of 90 grains of Goex fff. The day started very foggy, but ended up bright and sunny. I might have been able to put a move on a small group late in the day, but the sun and I were fading about the same time. (To be fair, I had been up quite a bit longer than it had.) Next time though - next time.......
the fun stops when the smoke clears. there is always tomorrow. we hope!

Got to love the precision inletting on these kit guns from the 70s! 🙄
View attachment 272021
I put one of these together or rather rebuilt someone's attempt at the kit!! I eventually replaced the lock with an L&R RPL- that was over 20 years ago. I think the barrel is USA made - it still shoots really well with 60grs of FFFg and a 440ball with a ticking patch - as good as some of my other barrels; Douglas/Montana/Orion. I replaced quite a few parts but overall I think it turned out well - most don't recognise it as a CVA! Have fun with it.

I put one of these together or rather rebuilt someone's attempt at the kit!! I eventually replaced the lock with an L&R RPL- that was over 20 years ago. I think the barrel is USA made - it still shoots really well with 60grs of FFFg and a 440ball with a ticking patch - as good as some of my other barrels; Douglas/Montana/Orion. I replaced quite a few parts but overall I think it turned out well - most don't recognise it as a CVA! Have fun with it.
I have some work ahead of me on this one! A good winter project for sure (at least that is what I keep telling myself) 😂

Spent some time in the woods this morning, nice and cold. Came back to do chores and piddle in the shop. Mixed up some Ritz stain for the lantern wick strap that will go on the new powder horn.

Attachments

• IMG_3008.jpeg
    IMG_3008.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
You just never know what those critters are going to do! My folks were running a dairy in western Missouri back in the 60's. Had a calf needed some doctorin' in the holding pen. Dad dropped a loop on it, it took off running, no matter how fast I was moving, wasn't fast enough, ended up face down in the dirt!!

Oh little lady friend was chased by their dairy bull, from behind a tree she smacked him in the face as hard as she could with a shovel. Poor bull had a terrible swollen eye for weeks , the bulls now terrified of her.

Since the previous thread was shut down (locked) by our new moderator, I thought I would start one up again, as per the suggestion.
So, let's get this thread going again, and share your muzzleloading related adventures of the day!

Making a 1728 mainspring.

Attachments

• IMG_2638.jpeg
    IMG_2638.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2639.jpeg
    IMG_2639.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2640.jpeg
    IMG_2640.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2641.jpeg
    IMG_2641.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2642.jpeg
    IMG_2642.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Well, I’m not going to go shooting today even though the weather here is perfect, very cool, dry, and clear. (Sorry @Ohio Rusty) Didn’t sleep well last night and just don’t have the energy. But I did go for a long walk this morning and I did file down the rear sight on my older .45 SMR. Which I do plan to shoot tomorrow before rain sets in on Thursday. I have the taller rear sights on 4 Kiblers and I love the sight picture it gives me, but there all still shooting a little high so I’m getting them dialed in one at a time. Before I started filing today the notch was .264” above the flat, I brought it down to .210”. The factory sight is only .114” above the flat. Hopefully I’ll get it right tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3022.jpeg
    IMG_3022.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3024.jpeg
    IMG_3024.jpeg
    890.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3025.jpeg
    IMG_3025.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
today i was looking in my powder locker(old refrigerator), for some 2f to try in my last build. saw the 6 cans of 777 my neighbor left me when he died.
being bored with attempting for the 100 thousandth time to clear off my work bench, and wanting to try my last build after filing the front sight, i figured i would just burn some of the 777. never used it in a flint lock before and having read all the dire posts about it being used in a flint i proceeded to load it up.
my rifle barrel is a green mountain .54 with a 1-66 twist.
lock is a Doc Haddaway.
85g of 2ff triple 7
pan prime was swiss 4f
ball was .530 cast in a Lee mold
patch is .013 1000 thread count bed sheet
lube was near fat and bees wax i had to microwave to get soft enough to use in 28 degrees. i buttered the patch like it was a slice of sour dough bread.
shot from 65 yards off the bench.
.after shooting the splatter target i shot 5 at my 75 yard gong. 5 for 5
i had one flash in the pan misfire from the entire session.
i am impressed.
and clean up was 5 patches total. the down side is that i got the geometry wrong somehow on this stock and it slaps my cheek silly benched. not so bad off hand.20231128_110339.jpg

Back