• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a little hunting in this morning. It was raining so I opted for a percussion… Onc the rain finally let up the woods started moving. My wife says I’m letting too many deer walk so I took a little eight point so she’d be happy. It was a bout a 65-70 yard shot. Smacked him hard but he still ran a good 40 or so yards before he crashed into the briars never to even fight it. I’ve taken about 15 deer with a patched round ball, and not once have I ever had a ball create an exit wound. The round ball definitely does it’s job and one can easily see how effective they once, and still are at taking game. I was able ti retrieve the ball this time so maybe it will be reincarnated.

Attachments

• B442A3E7-968D-445C-9BE5-3643C158DD7D.jpeg
    B442A3E7-968D-445C-9BE5-3643C158DD7D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 802A4F1E-CE50-4F1B-BB2A-46CBA813422B.jpeg
    802A4F1E-CE50-4F1B-BB2A-46CBA813422B.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3CCA64A2-B884-4486-8C65-BF7B3AF90EAA.jpeg
    3CCA64A2-B884-4486-8C65-BF7B3AF90EAA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Not sure why you'd think that as if it had, I would say so. :rolleyes: My tip is still on the ramrod and I was able to unscrew it from the jag and pull out the ramrod. Jag and patch are still stuck in bottom of barrel.

View attachment 269479
It just seemed a little strange to me that you’d spend money on a gizmo and wait days until it arrived instead of trying to pull the ramrod/jag while employing a vice to hold it. That’s always worked for me, besides being quick and easy…and cheap!

You haven’t said if you tried it. Even if you don’t have a vice, you probably have a friend/neighbor that does.

At this point, I’m going to withdraw from the issue. Good luck!

@ORBushman I'm pretty certain that you can shoot it out. I've used the c02 devices and they never failed to work. However, they are meant to expel dry balls and your situation is much tougher than a dry ball. The difference in the force applied by the c02 device and powder dribbled in is significant. The "chamber" area or breech area below the bottom of the barrel diameter in that rifle is pretty significant. You can get a good bit of powder in there. Dribble some in and hold the rifle muzzle down and tilted sideways while you tap the side of the rifle to vibrate it into the breech. Repeat until you can't get any more powder in there then fire it with all the safety considerations that you would follow with a fully loaded gun.

If that doesn't work it's time to de breech!

Dribble some in and hold the rifle muzzle down and tilted sideways while you tap the side of the rifle to vibrate it into the breech. Repeat until you can't get any more powder in there then fire it with all the safety considerations that you would follow with a fully loaded gun.
I think this is going to be my next attempt but, will have to wait for a day I can take it to my local range. I live in a very small trailer court with nosey neighbors and don't need Johnny Law knocking on my door when the neighbors hear the resounding shot! 😂 Last resort before debreeching will be the grease gun method. Not looking forward to having to clean up the grease though. So, hopefully shooting it out will work.
You haven’t said if you tried it. Even if you don’t have a vice, you probably have a friend/neighbor that does.
I don't have a vice in my little trailer so, I took it to my LGS and had a couple of the guys there try and pull it out. It was a no go and since they just sell firearms and do not do repairs, they didn't have a mounted vise. I was hoping! 🙂 Your input is appreciated though. I'll get it somehow and since I have 6 other muzzleloaders to play with, this one isn't that important. I'm also disabled but, wasn't going to go into all that. 😁

starting to fit a breech plug into a 13/16ths Colerain barrel. going into a 1/2 stock cherry stock. fighting the flu today, so far i am winning.
wife just made me quit playing and says i have to go to bed. People die in bed. should i worry about her intentions?:dunno:
Depends on how old you are and what she intends for you to die of in bed . :thumb::ghostly:

Last edited:
Went deer hunting and was thinking I would just as soon shoot a coyote since it was near 70 degrees at the time . No more than had the thought when a coyote ran across the opening I was watching so I rolled him with my last patch and ball. Now I got to shoot minie's or go to the other farm for more balls and patching. Be glad when I finally get everything back in one shop instead of the three that it is currently in.

UPS dropped off my.......GOLF BALL BARREL.

Got some work to do to get the pieces to slide together.

Thinking a 4 inch breech. .400 wall at the breech and .125 wall at the muzzle. 12 inches overall.

Still need to figure out a breech plug/mounting piece.

YEA!

Attachments

• IMG_3783.JPG
    IMG_3783.JPG
    559.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3784.JPG
    IMG_3784.JPG
    451.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3787.JPG
    IMG_3787.JPG
    619.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3789.JPG
    IMG_3789.JPG
    646.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3790.JPG
    IMG_3790.JPG
    682.3 KB · Views: 0
Went to Lowes and bought some thinwall copper tubing to make some black powder chargers , used to measure powder for guns. For the chargers to be historically correct , the ones recovered , many were made of tin plated sheet metal and various natural items. Horn , wood , bone , cane , but sheet metal chargers were common on the frontier. Many times in historical accounts written in books , Indians were known to signal one to another by using powder chargers as whistles. Used to use thin wall brass tubing , but no store around here sells it any more.

I'm working on a wall gun for a customer. I started fitting the internals. This lock plate is 11"long. The main spring itself is as long as a Queen Ann Musket Lock. The lock screws are 1/4 x 20 thread. I still have a lot of clean-ups, tempering and tuning to do.
Semper Fi.

1700183067054.png

1700182733278.png

What's a "Wall Gun"? Something just adorns a wall? Pardon the ignorance but, never heard that term.
The one I'm building has a has a 54" tapered round barrel with a 1" bore. It will have a yoke like the one pictured. The completed gun will weigh about 35 pounds. These are so accurate, then can hit a piece of printer paper at 600 yards.
1700187107021.png

1700187255818.png

Infantry musket vs wall gun musket.
1700187546702.png

Latest posts

Back