• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally found out It’s the shooter not the rifle. I took my son with me to the monthly club shoot. He has shot my CVA kentucky maybe two dozen times in his life. Here is his second shot the day dead smack in the center at 100 yds.

Attachments

• 20231021_163618.jpg
    20231021_163618.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 0
Had our club shoot today. We had 12 shooters, been a while since we had that many, it was a welcome site. Shot 100 Yards X Stick. Had a good time as always. Yadkin Valley Longrifles, in Iredell Co. NC. Come out and visit, 3rd Saturday monthly.

I worked on the long Fowler, fitting the Queen Anne lock into a cut lock plate mortise that fit some unknown and strangely shaped lock plate. Inletting the lock completely took just five hours which is good for me.
I had done a lot of digging into various locks that might work and chose this one from L&R. I was pleasantly impressed with how close the match is, and there will be a lot less wood matching and patching to fill the gap.

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpeg
    IMG_0336.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0339.jpeg
    IMG_0339.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
did i ever tell you guy's how much i dislike fitting a butt plate? down to the last 3/16th's on the toe of the plate and my eyes are crossing!
think next time i will just build a dam and pour a pewter plate in place!🤣
all iron on this build so back to smoke, scrape, smoke, scrape..................................................
well its 5oclock somewhere and i finished the butt plate inlet. hands are the same color as my heart now! guess i'll wash the hands and work on the heart! think some good thoughts for a while.
that lasted about 20 seconds! wife just got home from Home Depot with a 1200 lb capacity garden cart in a box. whats that saying,no rest for the wicked?

Last edited:
Not super motivated today, we’re in a week long, warmer than normal period that takes the fun out of being outside. But I did make this little powder flask to hold 4F. It won’t take up much room in my shooting box and has enough volume to refill my brass primer 4, maybe 5 times. No more running back and forth for more 4F. I used a section of well dried River Cane with the knuckle in place to seal the bottom, and turned down a section of Crepe Myrtle for the spout and plug. Put a little beeswax on the plug for a nice snug fit.

Attachments

• IMG_2834.jpeg
    IMG_2834.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2835.jpeg
    IMG_2835.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2836.jpeg
    IMG_2836.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
did i ever tell you guy's how much i dislike fitting a butt plate? down to the last 3/16th's on the toe of the plate and my eyes are crossing!
think next time i will just build a dam and pour a pewter plate in place!🤣
all iron on this build so back to smoke, scrape, smoke, scrape..................................................
don't you just love "end grain"

Not super motivated today, we’re in a week long, warmer than normal period that takes the fun out of being outside. But I did make this little powder flask to hold 4F. It won’t take up much room in my shooting box and has enough volume to refill my brass primer 4, maybe 5 times. No more running back and forth for more 4F. I used a section of well dried River Cane with the knuckle in place to seal the bottom, and turned down a section of Crepe Myrtle for the spout and plug. Put a little beeswax on the plug for a nice snug fit.
That’s just awesome looking!

Took the SMR and the Frontier to a different range today to confirm the new sights on the SMR were zeroed. They are. Took only three shots. More shooting with the Frontier to get it zeroed at 100 yds. But one of my failings is I don't take notes. Too many rifles to remember each rifle's peculiarities. Does this rifle shoot high or does it shoot low? Don't remember from last time. What's the proper sight picture with this goofy buckhorn rear sight? Don't remember from last time. Finally got those memory failings restored after a number of shots, then did some front sight filing (because it's shooting REALLY low, like hitting below the paper even), but ran out of time and energy before the Frontier's 100 yd zero was achieved. More filing will be needed. Oh well. One out of two for a range trip is about the norm for me. And lines up something to do for next time. Though maybe not this week. Weather forecasts sound pretty sketchy next few days for outdoor ranges.

Back