• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you really want to learn how to fit parts together and understand that little dance that goes on between several parts at once, buy a Traditions Kentucky pistol kit and learn how. For 230 bucks you can figure out how to rob Peter to pay Paul and determine exactly how much you need to steal to get the job done.

When folks say Traditions kits are junk, they're half right. Out of the box they're complete garbage. Poor inletting. Poor metal to wood fitment. Etc. But all of the parts are solid and 100% serviceable.

You just have to be ready to break out the chisels and files and remove some wood and metal.

Had to push the tang inlet down more than .100 inches so the barrel would make contact with the barrel channel. This in turn dropped the drum more than .100 inches.

Now the fun begins.

Removing material from the lock plate/bolster is a nonstarter. It would chew into the area of the bolster that houses the top of the mainspring.

Just have to grab the files and remove material from the bottom of the drum. Just enough so the tang, barrel and drum make contact at the same time. In this case, had to remove a tad more than .100 inches from the drum.

The only drawback to this kind of set-up, is you must remove the barrel in order to remove the lock. But it's worth it to have all the parts fitting together well.
That’s next on my list either a pistol kit or a rifle kit. I figure it’s better to start small and work my way up to something better than to screw up something high end off the bat. Plus, it would allow one to learn the craft a bit more and accrue more tools and possibly more colorful adjectives.

Anthony

When to a meat shoot. Took my son. It doesn’t happen often, but I beat him!!!!
We got to shoot with some of our shooting friends.
I won one match. It was a pretty good day.
IMG_0228.jpg

My mild OCD can't leave things that are wrong alone! Got both these .45cal pistols from TOTW with the rear sight on backwards. I took a brass punch and within 5min. had them flipped and facing the correct direction. Happier than a pig rubbin' up agin a fence post now! :)

20231001_161851.jpg

20231001_161857.jpg

Celebrated King Charlie's Birthday Holiday at the range this morning. Man, it's getting dry out here. Dryer to come, I expect.

I decided to do a test with the Parker Hale 58 this time, 500gn Lee minie paper patched versus same minie lubed with 80/20 beeswax and lard. The lubed jobbies won out this time, but I think I'll have a redo, given that shooting the paper patched, I found my point of aim wandering, resulting in vertical stringing- I'm thinking my fault for the larger group, not the musket's. I shot both groups seated at the bench, musket rested front and back, at 50 metres.

I shot twenty and recovered ten to go back into the pot - Score!

Cheers, Pete

Townsville.jpg
Minies.jpg
Wax-Lard.jpg
Paper Patched 500.jpg
Recovered.jpg

Celebrated King Charlie's Birthday Holiday at the range this morning. Man, it's getting dry out here. Dryer to come, I expect.

I decided to do a test with the Parker Hale 58 this time, 500gn Lee minie paper patched versus same minie lubed with 80/20 beeswax and lard. The lubed jobbies won out this time, but I think I'll have a redo, given that shooting the paper patched, I found my point of aim wandering, resulting in vertical stringing- I'm thinking my fault for the larger group, not the musket's. I shot both groups seated at the bench, musket rested front and back, at 50 metres.

I shot twenty and recovered ten to go back into the pot - Score!

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 257110View attachment 257111View attachment 257112View attachment 257113View attachment 257114
looks like u had a great day

Retail Therapy! I saw this on the French 'Naturabuy' website (Ebay type thingy for Frenchies who are into guns). Having lost an auction for a similar thing yesterday - which I am now quite pleased about - I saw this. Incredibly cheap for what it is (by European standards). So I took the plunge, bought it and will receive it this coming Friday. Can't wait! Scroll down to see and enlarge the images, it isn't the Kentucky rifle advertised at the top of the page. To me it more resembles a true Hawken than the Investarm item I already have. Which will remain in my collection, however. Oh dear, I am starting to become a collector...
https://www.naturabuy.fr/carabine-jukar-45-poudre-noire-hawken-plains-rifle-item-10952109.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back