• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added the second rack to the musket nook in the office/man cave. Some more Civil War recruiting broadsides on order to put up on the wall, cut more rubber to put on the base on the left side. Now just to purchase 14 more pieces to fill it up

328636021_508097668170217_2829832311235154635_n.jpg

Didn’t do that much with my back acting up. Did finish the book on trade guns’For Trade and Treaty’.

Found on page 80 that 2’6” barrel length was fairly common. Will post more in another thread

Supposedly there are feral hogs all over Wisconsin as well. There is no bag limit as they are considered an invasive species, but the DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) is being very tight-lipped about where exactly they can be found. I haven't seen a single one and I live here.
At one time they were common in Crawford County

Hi Mate,
Just givin' ya' the ribbin'. I know it was more than 3 meters. You didn't list a distance. I would be up for the shooting challenge though. I love a good shooting competition. By the way, I worked with some of your troops in Afghanistan during my 2008-2009 tour. Your troops were working out of Camp Baker, Kandahar. I was doing Route Clearance. Excellent people. Semper Fi.
Ah manure! 😁😂. Yep. 50 metres. Vital bit of information missing there! Benched. Just got back from putting the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain through its paces, again at 50 metres. Nice. I'll post the targets and loads later.

Aussie soldiers get on well with the Americans. I think it's born out of a lengthy history of working together. When posted to the UK, Germany and the Arab Emirates, the width of your vehicles constantly blew me away. On a joint Tri-service exercise in Shoalwater Bay, I remember our engineers having to widen several kilometres of track winding through the scrub, to make an easier progress for your armoured humvees.

The invitations still stands for accommodation - should you ever get over this way.

Pete

Ed C. What was the problem with the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken? I have one. I have only targeted it at 50 metres on paper, hunted closer in. I really like it. I'd be interested in your load for 100 metres, if you care to share.

I'm heading out to the range this morning to put a few patched balls down - helping a mate get his .50 Tryon up and running too, laddering a series of loads starting at 50gns FFG Wano.

Thanks.

Pete
View attachment 201782
It was an Investarms Hawken. In 2017 there was a problem with the breech plugs blowing out and a recall was issued for certain serial #'s. I recently purchased the gun as new from a dealer and noticed the barrel was date stamped 2017 and my serial # was affected. The dealer assured me that that gun had been reworked and was safe to use. It is my right hand model. I shoot lefty and do much better using the cheekpiece on my left hand Hawken. I use 67 grains of FFFg BP, .490 ball with .015 pillow ticking dampened with Olde Turkey Track solvent. I don't hunt so that is just a target load.

It was fairly humid this morning. Nonetheless, spent a great session confirming the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain's diet and sight setting. Moreover, helped a buddy, Scotty, get his Tryon running nicely so that the recoil didn't impact his old war injuries (lower back, neck, shoulders).

The Rocky Mountain was spot on. I couldn't recall if I had left the setting for a six o'clock hold, or point of aim. Turns out point of aim sight picture. My first shot (target engaged at 50 metres) aimed at 6 o'clock to the white, went straight there. I lifted to the centre of the target and the remaining 9 shots reminded me why I like this rifle. The load is sixty grains of FFG Wano, a lubed over-powder wad, .018 pillow ticking spit patch (cut square) and a cast 530 round ball. No breeze, locked in on a rest front and rear, sitting at the bench.

The most fun was spent getting Scotty's 54 Pedersoli Tryon shooting with a reduced load. We laddered from 50 grains FFG Wano downward, ending up with a successful 32 grains FFG Wano, equal volume of polenta over-powder with a lubed .015 patch and a 530 round ball. Next time out, I'll post some images of his results. No recoil, accurate, still plenty of smoke - he's a happy soldier!

Just for entertainment's sake, I've included an image of a local squatter pigeon, as he was waking up to the morning sun at the range. Grandma reckons you need eight for a good pie;).

Pete

C56.JPG
C57.JPG
C58.JPG

We all suffer getting old , be 80 next month still fighting cancer, never give up!!!!!!! Read up on your ailment it’s not nice, so much suffering in our world , such is life .

Here’s some gunny photos , no comment. .625 Gibbs look alike , inert, all my own work, it’s nearly time to hand make some 1850 wood screws
I've never seen a lock like that.

At one time they were common in Crawford County
Supposedly in Kewaunee County as well... never saw a one of 'em. Probably somebody lost a pig, somebody else saw it and called the DNR... who got hysterical and went ballistic over the "dangerous invasive species". Most likely they all died out the first winter.

Supposedly in Kewaunee County as well... never saw a one of 'em. Probably somebody lost a pig, somebody else saw it and called the DNR... who got hysterical and went ballistic over the "dangerous invasive species". Most likely they all died out the first winter.
Don't count on it. One animal that becomes feral almost instantly is a pig. If there is a mate somewhere out there, soon you'll have a big feral hog issue. Semper Fi.

Ah manure! 😁😂. Yep. 50 metres. Vital bit of information missing there! Benched. Just got back from putting the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain through its paces, again at 50 metres. Nice. I'll post the targets and loads later.

Aussie soldiers get on well with the Americans. I think it's born out of a lengthy history of working together. When posted to the UK, Germany and the Arab Emirates, the width of your vehicles constantly blew me away. On a joint Tri-service exercise in Shoalwater Bay, I remember our engineers having to widen several kilometres of track winding through the scrub, to make an easier progress for your armoured humvees.

The invitations still stands for accommodation - should you ever get over this way.

Pete
Humvee's are ridiculous vehicles, good only for the desert. In the eastern US you need something as narrow as possible to squeeze between trees and narrow mountain trails if you are serious about getting into what little back country we have left.

My financial downfall has always been,,, Want & Need means the same when it comes to buying guns.
Fortunately at 80 I physically can only pack a maximum of two pistols to a gun show & must take my 'old fart cart' if packing
one of my rifles to a show to sell as I can no longer shoot them.
Old age ain't fer sissies :ghostly:
It's only the first hundred that's difficult.

Ed C. What was the problem with the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken? I have one. I have only targeted it at 50 metres on paper, hunted closer in. I really like it. I'd be interested in your load for 100 metres, if you care to share.

I'm heading out to the range this morning to put a few patched balls down - helping a mate get his .50 Tryon up and running too, laddering a series of loads starting at 50gns FFG Wano.

Thanks.

Pete
View attachment 201782
What is this "wano" of which you post?

Back