• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit a gun show today. Lots of cool muzzleloaders as well as unmentionables.

At one table a guy had not 1 or 2 , but 8 original Springfields dated between 1829-1864. 1 was in bad shape , 3 where "eh, looks like a used 160 year old gun" shape, and 4 where in great shape.

Those 4 where so nice at first I thought they where reproductions made to look old at first, but upon closer inspection they looked to be originals in really good shape.

Saw a few other flintlock rifles, 2 pistols and a 4 bore shotgun.
which show?

Fired up the Lee pot today. Need more minies. Shot a few so gotta catch up.
20230225_123740.jpg

I took my Traditions Crockett rifle to our local monthly shooting match. I did rather well if I say so myself.

The first two targets were shot at 25 yards. Originally the guy putting on the shoot said 8 shots in the top target which is used for Archery. Then apparently changed it to six at the last minute. I told him I didn’t get that memo. They threw out my worst two hits. The Wagon Wheel had twelve spokes we were supposed to shoot but he thought there were only eleven. You don’t have to be smart to Sponsor a match, just be safe!

We moved the stands up to fifteen yards. All remaining targets were five shots each. He brought the sides from Rainier Beer 12-packs. I didn’t even know they still made that! We had to shoot the vowels or the smaller loop in the R. Next was the Bug Slat. Those were some lean ketchup packets as they refused to bleed! I’ve actually made them post these sideways. That way our primitive sights won’t line up so easily. Lastly, we posted a small Splatter Bullseye. My rifle really liked that lower right-hand corner of the center!

We won’t get the results until next month’s Newsletter. I’m hoping to at least be in the top Three! All shooting was done Off-hand. The only thing that bothered me is when folks are done, they tend to have a conversation behind you which affects your concentration. That accounted for a few misses on the Wagon Wheel!

My load was 20 grains of Goex 3F BP, .015 Pillow Ticking with Bumbling Bear Grease Lube, and a .310 Round Ball. All in all, a great little rifle!!!!

Thanks for looking!

Walt

Attachments

• 20230225_101257_HDR.jpg
    20230225_101257_HDR.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_101301_HDR.jpg
    20230225_101301_HDR.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_112738.jpg
    20230225_112738.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_112743.jpg
    20230225_112743.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_112749.jpg
    20230225_112749.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_120555.jpg
    20230225_120555.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_120602.jpg
    20230225_120602.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_120611.jpg
    20230225_120611.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_124344.jpg
    20230225_124344.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I have to say, I sure have been enjoying Mr Dale Allen Raby knock over stuff in the snow. Man, it looks cold there. I braved similar conditions today 😂🤣 when I had the opportunity to head out to the range with the Three Band Parker Hale. I got this one shooting well now - a minie it likes, lube and load combination. The minie is Lee's .575 trashcan of pure lead, 50gn FFFG Wano, Semolina filler over powder by equal volume, 70/30 beeswax and lard lube. I aimed the first twelve shots with a fine sight right in the middle of the target, with all shots grouping nicely to the right. The last shot I placed the front sight, fine again, at nine o'clock on the white circle - the shot fell bang in the middle, a touch high. My sights are as issued, standard; I'm not keen to alter them at all to adjust elevation and windage. A fine sight and aiming off will suffice.

Oh, and the target was shot off a rest, front and back, sitting at a bench, locked in tight yet relaxed (you know what I mean), an ever so slight breeze left to right.

Pete

View attachment 201314View attachment 201315View attachment 201316View attachment 201321View attachment 201313
Nice shootin' from 3 meters. Semper Fi.

Rainy day here in NC yesterday and I missed our monthly club shoot at LLR. So in need of an indoor project, I made a new file knife out of an old wore out Nicholson file. This one is 8” overall with a 4” long, .125 thick blade. The “chew toy“ antler handle was stained with Fiebings medium brown dye. The blade tang was epoxied in and is retained with a 1/16” pin. Now just need to make a sheath for it!

1E4AD55F-3C34-4FB2-B7CD-277457FD9176.jpeg

D6FDC1A7-4C13-4B5A-A38D-8FC84A79F121.jpeg

You said it. I love hitting gun shows, never know what you're gonna find.

I never go to them looking to buy but I bring cash Incase I see something that is a good price or I can haggle down.
I like the small, local ones. The big ones not so much so. Just how much jerky does anyone need? Or boxes of miscellaneous whatzits.
Although there is an Antique Arms show coming up in Baltimore that is tempting.

I went to a local gun show yesterday. First one I’ve been to in probably 20 years. It was fun. Only a very few tired old TC muzzleloaders. There was one surprise- a new in the box Pedersoli Gibbs long range rifle. The story all too common. Guy passes away and the widow gets a friend to try and sell it. The price was very reasonable and probably could have been had for less than asking. Just too bad I don’t need one. I already have a fast twist bullet rifle I’m working on.

Have the thumb rest secured to the wrist of the Gemmer. Still have some touch ups to do and I may do some more filing on the slope, but I hate to loose anymore of the floral design. Since the whole idea was make the wrist taller, the inletting was slow. Not sure how much better it looks, but it certainly looks different.
Looks good!

I have to say, I sure have been enjoying Mr Dale Allen Raby knock over stuff in the snow. Man, it looks cold there. I braved similar conditions today 😂🤣 when I had the opportunity to head out to the range with the Three Band Parker Hale. I got this one shooting well now - a minie it likes, lube and load combination. The minie is Lee's .575 trashcan of pure lead, 50gn FFFG Wano, Semolina filler over powder by equal volume, 70/30 beeswax and lard lube. I aimed the first twelve shots with a fine sight right in the middle of the target, with all shots grouping nicely to the right. The last shot I placed the front sight, fine again, at nine o'clock on the white circle - the shot fell bang in the middle, a touch high. My sights are as issued, standard; I'm not keen to alter them at all to adjust elevation and windage. A fine sight and aiming off will suffice.

Oh, and the target was shot off a rest, front and back, sitting at a bench, locked in tight yet relaxed (you know what I mean), an ever so slight breeze left to right.

Pete
Nice shooting :thumb:
View attachment 201314View attachment 201315View attachment 201316View attachment 201321View attachment 201313

Nice shootin' from 3 meters. Semper Fi.
Wow. Kidding right, Colonial Smith? Come on over and we'll sit together for a session, at 50 metres. I'd love to have you along. I'll even throw in a couple of days accommodation and some polite conversation. Doubt away...

Oh, and I can't retort Semper Fi, but Ex Dentibus Ensis, 23 years service.

Kind regards, Pete

Went to the Tennessee State Museum in Nashville. They had a lot of interesting guns. They even had Davey Crockett’s powder horn and knife. I would highly recommend a visit if you are in the area and it’s free to visit.

Now that my RH Hawken has been deemed safe to shoot I took it out today. I shoot LH and I guess we were not a very good team. Fair results at 50 and 100 yards, not near the results I get when shooting the LH gun. So it probably will serve as a fireplace and guest gun from this point on. On a good note the CCI #11 caps all went off, no problem

Latest posts

Back